MNT Jun 15, 2011
SCENARIOS: Canada tied Panama in the first game. Panama wins Group C, marking the first time that the U.S. has not won its group in the regional championship.
Here are the scenarios for the U.S.:
- Win or tie and advance as the second place team to face Jamaica on June 19 at RFK Stadium.
- Lose and be eliminated.
LINEUP: Here’s the lineup for the U.S. Men tonight against Guadeloupe:
Starters: 1-Tim Howard; 6-Steve Cherundolo, 21-Clarence Goodson, 3-Carlos Bocanegra (capt.), 14-Eric Lichaj; 8-Clint Dempsey, 4-Michael Bradley, 13-Jermaine Jones, 10-Landon Donovan; 17-Jozy Altidore, 11-Chris Wondolowski
Subs: 5-Oguchi Onyewu, 7-Maurice Edu, 9-Juan Agudelo,12-Jonathan Bornstein, 16-Sacha Kljestan, 22-Alejandro Bedoya, 23-Marcus Hahnemann
- Two players are in the U.S. starting lineup for the first time in the Gold Cup. Eric Lichaj gets the call in place of Tim Ream, and Chris Wondolowski will go instead of Juan Agudelo. With the changes, Carlos Bocanegra will move inside and play in the center of the defense alongside Clarence Goodson.
- Six U.S. players carry a yellow card into the match and would miss the quarterfinals if they receive a yellow card tonight: Michael Bradley, Jermaine Jones, Jozy Altidore, Goodson, Alejandro Bedoya, Bocanegra.
- Lichaj makes his CONCACAF Gold Cup debut. All 22 players in Kansas City have now appeared in at least one career Gold Cup game.
- Wondolowsk is making his second career start,
- Jozy Altidore's goal was the 12th of his career and his second in the 2011 Gold Cup (second career in the Gold Cup).
- Altidore is now tied at 12 goals in 12th place in U.S. history with Carlos Bocanegra, Frank Klopas, Eddie Johnson and Clint Mathis.