MNT Apr 2, 2012
One player continued his scoring pace while another got on the board for the first time as many of the members of the U.S. Men's National Team were in action this weekend. Here's some of the highlights:
- Clint Dempsey had a goal and an assist as Fulham captured a 2-1 win against Norwich. Dempsey's goal in the second minute increased his season tally to 13 in the league play, tying the Fulham record set by Luis Saha for most in a single campaign.
- Eric Lichaj made a huge impact in his return to the Villa lineup, assisting on their first goal and then heading home his own to draw level with Chelsea. While Aston Villa dropped the three points, it was an uplifting performance for Lichaj.
- Jozy Altidore scored the first of AZ Alkmaar's two goals in the 2-2 draw at Vitesse. His team is now second in the tight race at the top of the Eredivisie, trailing Ajax by two points.
- A big win for Steve Cherundolo and Hannover, the side running out 2-1 winners against fourth-place Borussia Moenchengladbach. Hannover jumped to fifth in the table and one point ahead of four other teams in the race for a coveted spot in next season's Europa League.
- Three U.S. internationals were on the field in Sinsheim as Hoffenheim drew 1-1 with third place Schalke 04. Fabian Johnson and Jermaine Jones were in the starting XI and Danny Williams entered as a second-half sub as each team drew and converted a penalty.