MNT Feb 29, 2012
While the players take a break from club duty for the midweek international friendlies, there's a lot going on with the U.S. players in Europe. Here's a quick rundown:
- Jozy Altidore and Steve Cherundolo are still alive in the Europa League, each reaching the Round of 32 that begins March 8, with AZ taking on Udinese and Hannover traveling to Standard Liege.
- Sacha Kljestan is a fixture in the Anderlecht squad that sits in first place in the Belgian First Division, sitting eight points clear at the top of the table.
- Clint Dempsey continues his record-setting season at Fulham, wher the 2011 U.S. Soccer Male Athlete of the Year is having a record-setting has 16 goals in all competitions include two hat tricks.
- Tim Howard and Everton have reached the last eight of the FA Cup, where they will face Sunderland.
- Michael Bradley has helped marshall Chievo Verona to the top half of the table, the side nearing the magic number that will ensure their place in Serie A for next year.
- Jonathan Spector and Birmingham City are in the midst of a tight promotion race in the League Championship, with only eight points separating teams 3-10. They've only lost once in 12 matches dating back to Dec. 26, and Specs has been a regular contributor to their success.