MNT Sep 8, 2009
The team arrived in Trinidad around 7:30 p.m. local time and made the 30-minute trip into downtown Port-of-Spain. For those of you that enjoy the little details, some random observations from the trip:
- As usual, the coaches used the time to watch video from the previous game. Several players took advantage of the opportunity as well throughout the trip; Amongst others, at one point Benny Feilhaber, Carlos Bocanegra, Clint Dempsey and Jonathan Spector were huddled around a computer watching the game tape
- Landon Donovan and Brian Ching were heavy into crossword puzzles
- Chad Marshall spent most of the trip reading a John Grisham novel
- There are a bunch of guys who are flat-out sleepers. We think Gooch might be out before the cabin doors are closed
- The in-flight movies were Night at the Museum: Battle at the Smithsonian, Star Trek, and Watchmen. (Movie choices were made by the flight crew, in case there is any critique about the selections)
- The flight path took the plane past Cuba - the water around the island looks stunning from above - and since we flew at dusk there were some amazing colors at sunset. A band of blazing orange that faded into yellow against a dark blue sky lasted for about 20 minutes; unfortunately, the photos we tried to take didn't quite do it justice. Chalk that up to human error ...
- We also flew near Hasely Crawford Stadium - site of Wednesday's match - which was still lit following T & T's training session. From 10,000 feet, it certainly looks like it will be a great place for a night game.