USA: 1-Tim Howard; 6-Steve Cherundolo, 20-Geoff Cameron, 3-Carlos Bocanegra (capt.), 23-Fabian Johnson; 7-Maurice Edu, 4-Michael Bradley, 13-Jermaine Jones;10-Landon Donovan, 18-Terrence Boyd, 16-Jose TorresPre-Game Notes
• The U.S. has collected four consecutive victories dating back to last year, including three straight shutout wins against Venezuela, Panama and Italy for the 2012 campaign.
• The U.S. is 1-3-2 all-time against Scotland, with the series starting on June 19, 1949, at Randalls Island, N.Y. Scotland won the match 4-0.
• The last time the U.S. and Scotland squared off, the USA capped off 2005 with a 1-1 draw on Nov. 12 at Hampden Park in Glasgow. DaMarcus Beasley was taken down in the penalty area and Josh Wolff netted a ninth-minute penalty kick for the team’s lone goal.
• That 2005 victory was the team’s 13th win of the year, setting an all-time high that was later equaled in 2009.
• Carlos Bocanegra and Tim Howard are the only two players to start every match for which they were available since Klinsmann took charge. Each have played in nine of his 11 matches.
• Landon Donovan returns to the U.S. lineup for the first time since Sept. 2, 2011, a 1-0 loss to Costa Rica
• Jose Torres ends a similar absence, having last played Sept. 6, 2011, the 1-0 defeat in Belgium
• Terrence Boyd makes his first start for the senior National Team in only his second appearance, having entered as a sub in the 1-0 against Italy on Feb. 29 in Genoa.
• Herculez Gomez makes a game-day roster for the first time since the 2010 FIFA World Cup.
- Landon Donovan scores an unassisted goal in the 3rd minute to put the USA on the board first. It was his 47th career goal for the National Team.
- Michael Bradley strikes second for the USA for his 10th career U.S. goal with a long curling shot from the top of the box in the 11th minute. The assist went to Jermaine Jones.
- Jones' assist is the 2nd in his MNT career.
- This is the first time Bradley and Donovan have scored together since the 2011 Gold Cup.
- Scotland gets on the board on an own goal by the U.S. in the 15th minute.
- Donovan scores his second goal and Jones notches his second assist of the game in the 60th minute. USA - 3 SCO - 1
- Landon Donovan gets the hat trick! He scores his third goal of the game on an assist from Michael Bradley. It's his second hat trick in the state of Florida. His first came in 2007 vs. Ecuador.
- Jermaine Jones makes it 5-1 off an assist from Landon Donovan. It's Jones' second career goal for the United States.
- Tonight's attendance of 44,438 at EverBank Field set the record for a MNT friendly in the Southeast.
- That's the game! The USA beats SCO 5-1 to start off this 'Five-Game Tournament'
- This was the United States' 15th four goal victory and the 19th game with at least five goals scored.
Landon Donovan scores for the USA in the 3rd minute
Not your typical in-game blog post but it's too great not to mention. U.S. Soccer had it's first-ever (as far as we know) on-field marriage proposal during pre-game warmups. Alex Lesko proposed to Jennifer Chin while sitting in the on-field seats prior to the game. The couple is from Dallas, Texas and are attending their 6th National Team game together. Too cute! We'll have a photo of the happy couple for you in a separate blog post after the game.