WNT Mar 31, 2010
Welcome to another edition (well, the second) of Yael's A-List, a humorous look at life on the WNT through the eyes, and lists of U.S.midfielder Yael Averbuch. Today, she writes about the top-10 differerences between her and teammate Heather O'Reilly. But first, sime similarities too...
The top-10 ways in which I differ from teammate Heather O’Reilly:
Heather and I both grew up in New Jersey, played together in college at the University of North Carolina for two years, and are currently teammates for Sky Blue FC in the WPS, as well as on the U.S. Women’s National Team. There’s no doubt that Heather and I are alike in our competitive natures. We compare stats on everything from our hydration scores every morning, how many pull-ups we can do, how many goals we score during shooting drills, and even who has more followers on twitter (well, I haven’t told Heather, but I’m secretly mad that she’s killing me in that contest!). We are both midfielders, do crossword puzzles, and listen to Third Eye Blind. However, I did come up with some interesting differences between us:
1. Six inches of height. I’m taller.
2. 10 exits on the New Jersey Turnpike. Heather comes from Central Jersey, while I consider myself a Northern Jersey girl.
3. She may or may not be slightly faster (It’s debatable).
4. We played for rival clubs growing up in New Jersey.I played for World Class and she played for PDA.
5. She is 1 year, 11 months, and 1 day older than me.
6. She has two Olympic gold medals, but I’ve won the indoor 4v4 tournament we have at UNC during Spring training twice, so I consider this one a tie.
7. I prefer to stay calm before games, while Heather gets very “pumped up.”
8. She has 929 friends on Facebook and I have 1,579. Am I more popular? Possibly.
9. I have slightly fewer caps: 7 as opposed to 121.
10. Her college major was education and mine is psychology. On that note, she graduated this past fall (congrats Heather!) and I still have several classes left.