Across the Academy – Nov. 20, 2013
Five Players up for Young Male Athlete of Year: Five candidates are in the running for 2013 U.S. Soccer Young Male Athlete of the Year, which opened its voting process Tuesday, and the entire field has ties to the Development Academy. Current IMG Academy defender Shaquell Moore earns his second straight nomination. Former Crew Soccer Academy midfielder Wil Trapp played a big role for the U-20 Men’s National Team at the 2013 FIFA U-20 World Cup in Turkey. Defenders Shane O’Neill (Columbus Crew), Kellyn Acosta (FC Dallas) and Erik Palmer-Brown (Sporting Kansas City) round out the field. (YNT Bios and voting panel)
Ramos Appointed Youth Technical Director: U.S. Under-20 Men’s National Team head coach Tab Ramos was recently appointed the U.S. Soccer Youth Technical Director. ussoccer.com caught up with the National Soccer Hall of Famer and president of the Development Academy’s NJSA 04 during the U-20 MNT’s international trip to Italy. Ramos talked about how U.S. Soccer continues to integrate the National Teams and praises the Academy’s success in strengthening the Youth National Teams: “The Development Academy has seen some of the best players in the country, and the result of that is shown by looking at the Youth National Team rosters – most of the players have Development Academy experience.”
ACADEMY SOCIAL CONNECTION:
- @DeAnzaForce: From @USAprospects: ’94 #usynt Marc Pelosi signs long-term deal with Liverpool. #USMNT in the picture soon. pic.twitter.com/7ac8oaRseh – De Anza Force
- @SoundersAcademy: Victory ’Stache! Sounders bring down the Timbers 2-1. pic.twitter.com/F9Ki0WSp9x – Seattle Sounders FC
- @SKCAcademy: Congrats to our alumni in the NCAA Tourney! Bradley So. MF Andrew Brown (@Andrew_Brown12) & Creighton So. DF Eric DeJulio (@EricDeJulio) – Sporting Kansas City
Share your Academy news, comments, photos, links and more using the #OpportunityKnocks hashtag.
ACADEMY QUICK HITS (Weekend of Nov. 16-17):
- West Conference: FC Golden State’s U-13/14 team had a standout performance at the Academy’s U-13/14 national event over the weekend at U.S. Soccer’s National Training Center in Carson, Calif. FC Golden State opened with a 6-0 victory against Heat FC on Saturday and closed with a 7-0 win against Cal Odyssey on Sunday. Marty Raygoza and Dorian Morris each tallied two goals against Heat FC. There were six different goal scorers in Sunday’s victory, with Juan Ramirez recording a brace.
- Central Conference: Indiana Fire Academy’s U-17/18 team overcame a 1-0 deficit by scoring three straight goals and holding on for an important 3-2 victory against Chicago Magic PSG. Jeffrey Rhodes scored two goals in a three-minute stretch and Will Lentz added a goal for Indiana Fire Academy (6-2-3), which currently sits in third place ahead of the Chicago Magic (7-4-1) in the tight Mid-America Division standings.
- East Conference: Charlotte Soccer Academy’s U-13/14 team impressed in its home state with two victories during the U-13/14 division’s East-based event this past weekend at BB&T Soccer Park in Advance, N.C. Charlotte Soccer Academy rallied for a 2-1 victory against Bethesda-Olney on Saturday, followed by a 6-0 win against Seacoast United on Sunday. Tanner Jordi and George Espina were the goal scorers against Bethesda-Olney, while Dallas Baker stole the spotlight with three goals against Seacoast. Espina, Adrian Lopez and Jose Martinez also chipped in with a goal in the weekend finale.
Stat of the Week: The Academy’s U-13/14 West Conference-based event featured 13 shutout victories, including eight on Saturday.
- Player of the Week: Chicago Magic PSG U-15/16 forward Kendall Stork was named Academy Player of the Week following a three-goal stretch over the Nov. 9-10 weekend that included road victories against Vardar SC and Crew Soccer Academy Wolves. Through that weekend, Stork held a share of the Academy U-15/16 goal scoring lead with PDA’s Cameron Harr, each with 14 goals on the season. Stork will be a featured player at the Academy Winter Showcase Select match on Dec. 12 in Sarasota, Fla.
- Referee of the Week: Gyorgy Ladosenszky, a 42-year-old Grade 6 referee from Michigan, was recognized as the Academy Referee of the Week for his work during a U-15/16 match between Vardar SC and Chicago Magic PSG on Nov. 3. Ladosenszky has worked Academy matches since 2012, where he started out with the older age groups and is now utilized among all levels – mostly as an assistant referee. Ladosenszky received top marks recently for his first game in the center.
For all Development Academy results, visit ussda.demosphere.com or click on the following links:
U-17 MNT Sweeps Canada in Two Friendlies: The U.S. Under-17 Men’s National Team posted a pair of shutout victories against Canada’s U-17s this past weekend at Lockhart Stadium in Fort Lauderdale, Fla. The USA earned a 3-0 win on Saturday, Nov. 16, with Joe Gallardo, Haji Wright and Pierre Da Silva each tallying a goal and assist. The U-17 MNT then posted a 2-0 win on Sunday, Nov. 17, with first-half goals by Sean Teixeira and Devin Vega.
Spencer Tallies at U-20 MNT International Trip: Former Real Salt Lake AZ Academy player Ben Spencer scored the opening goal off of a Kellyn Acosta assist in the 18th minute during the U.S. Under-20 Men’s National Team’s 4-1 loss to Hellas Verona Primavera on Nov. 13 in Vigasio, Italy. With the score tied at 1-1 through 45 minutes, U-20 MNT head coach Tab Ramos subbed out 10 of the 11 players. The squad just wrapped up a weeklong trip to Italy as this pool of players ultimately is in preparations for qualification for the 2015 FIFA U-20 World Cup in New Zealand.
- Video: Opportunity Knocks: San Jose Earthquakes’ JT Marcinkowski
- Video: Opportunity Knocks: Sporting Kansas City’s Erik Palmer-Brown
- Video: Opportunity Knocks: Bethesda-Olney’s Chase Gasper
- Video: Opportunity Knocks: Chicago Magic PSG’s Maduabuchi Obinwa
- Video: Opportunity Knocks: De Anza Force’s David Chavez
- Video: Opportunity Knocks: Capital Area RailHawks’ Lucas Del Rosario
- Video: Opportunity Knocks: San Jose Earthquakes’ Edwin Lara
- Video: Opportunity Knocks: D.C. United’s Jose Carranza
- Video: Opportunity Knocks: Georgia United’s Juan Pablo Torres
- Video: Opportunity Knocks: New York Red Bulls’ Tyler Adams
- Video: U.S. Soccer Development Academy Launches U-13/14 Division
- Feature: U.S. U-18 MNT’s Palmer-Brown Works His Way up Ranks at Sporting
- Feature: Dallas Texans Academy Alum Conor Doyle of D.C. United
- Feature: Tony Lepore Q & A: Developing Youth Players
- Release: U.S. U-17 MNT to Face Brazil, England and Portugal at Nike Friendlies
- Release: Academy Holding Three U-13/14 Fall Events
- The YNT Blog
UPCOMING ACADEMY SCHEDULE:
- 2013-14 Academy Schedule
- Development Academy Regular Season: The 12th weekend of the 2013-14 Academy season features 74 scheduled games across the three age groups.
- Development Academy Winter Showcase: Dec. 11-15 at Lakewood Ranch, Fla., for U-15/16 and U-17/18 Academy teams. The U-15/16 matches take place on Dec. 12, 13 and 15, and the U-17/18 games are Dec. 11, 12 and 14.
- Chicago Fire: Academy Goes Unbeaten vs. Sockers
- Chicago Fire: Academy Product Pineda Motivated for Next Season
- Colorado Rapids: U-17/18 Academy Team Defeats Colorado Rush
- D.C. United: U-17/18 Academy Team Secures Another Multiple-Goal Victory
- New England Revolution: Academy Teams Post Three Road Wins
- Sporting Kansas City: U-15/16s Win Twice in Colorado
- Top Drawer Soccer: Marc Pelosi Signs Extension with Liverpool
- Top Drawer Soccer: College Commitments: Carter Richardson Commits to Wake Forest
- Top Drawer Soccer: Academy Alumni Roundup
- Top Drawer Soccer: U-13/14 Academy Showcase in Carson – Day 2
- Top Drawer Soccer: U-13/14 Academy Showcase in Carson – Day 1
- studentsports.com: U-15/16 and U-17/18 Recap: Orlando City U-15/16 Sweeps
- studentsports.com: U-13/14 Recap
- Soccer America: U-20 MNT’s Spencer Scores Three in Split Against Primavera Teams