Shannon MacMillan may or may not need some sort of therapy. Regardless, with 25 prompts on topics both easy and tough, we play psychiatrist to get a candid look inside the mind of San Diego Spirit sparkplug Shannon MacMillan, one of the most consistent and dangerous offensive presences that the U.S. Women's National Team has ever produced.
MacMillan has been a versatile star everywhere she's played, from her days at the University of Portland (where she was honored as the nation's best player in 1995), to her role on the 1996 Olympic and 1999 Women's World Cup champion teams (where she led the team with three goals in Atlanta, and then played in all six games as the team's "super sub" in ‘99), to her new challenge as one of the marquee players on her hometown San Diego WUSA franchise (where she led the team with 12 goals and six assists in the 2001 Inaugural Season).
Prompt ::: Response
WUSA ::: Dream come true
San Diego ::: Home
Torero Stadium (home of the San Diego Spirit) ::: Electric
Portland ::: Found myself
'96 Olympics ::: Establishing myself
WWC '99 ::: Beyond my wildest dreams
'00 Olympics ::: Silver
Australia ::: Kangaroos
Clive Charles (her coach at Univ. Of Portland) ::: Father figure
April Heinrichs ::: Motivator
Julie Foudy ::: Super trouble
Joy Fawcett ::: My idol
Carli Fawcett (Joy's daughter) ::: Little monkey
Tiffeny Milbrett ::: Stud
Purple ::: The color I bleed. Go Pilots!
Coca-Cola ::: My addiction
Cell Phone ::: Lifeline
Pets ::: One devil dog up for sale
Boyfriend ::: Taking applications...
Pain ::: Part of life
Media ::: Our friends
Referees ::: Not my friends
Fans ::: Make everything worth it
Team ::: My sisters
U.S. Soccer ::: Opportunity
Table of Contents
1) Armchair Midfielder (USA's World Cup Qualifying)
2) Word Association (w/ WNT midfielder Shannon MacMillan)
3) Cobi's Book Club (w/ MNT midfielder Cobi Jones)
4) Queries and Anecdotes (w/ U-23 MNT goalkeeper D.J. Countess)
5) DJ for a Day (w/ WNT midfielder Lorrie Fair)
6) Superstar!!! (w/ MNT midfielder John O'Brien)
7) Mark That Calendar (2002 World Cup final draw -- Dec. 1)
8) Point-Counterpoint (w/ commentators Andres Cantor and Jack Edwards)
9) From the Bleachers (w/ U.S. Soccer fans Keiran Downie & Jeniffer Huie)
10) "You Don't Know Jack (Marshall)" (U.S. WCQ history)
***HOW'S OUR WRITING?***
We want feedback. No, really. Positive, negative, indifferent--we take all kinds. Reach us at: firstname.lastname@example.org.