Across the Academy – Oct. 9, 2013
#OpportunityKnocks: Capital Area RailHawks’ Lucas Del Rosario: Capital Area RailHawks Academy forward Lucas Del Rosario, who recently earned Development Academy Player of the Week honors for the Sept. 21-22 weekend, spoke with ussoccer.com for the Opportunity Knocks series. At the U.S. U-14 Boys’ National Team camp earlier this year in Carson, Calif., Del Rosario thought the dynamic of both team and one-on-one focus from the coaching staff will help his all-around game for the 2013-14 Academy season.
#OpportunityKnocks: San Jose Earthquakes’ Edwin Lara: San Jose Earthquakes Academy defender Edwin Lara talked with ussoccer.com in Opportunity Knocks about how tactical focus and movement with and without the ball as several focal points that he took away from a national training camp earlier this year.
ACADEMY SOCIAL CONNECTION:
- @LonestarSC: Dream big this week, Lonestars. “If you can imagine it, you can achieve it. If you can dream it, you can become it.” pic.twitter.com/iSAtu3LamA – Lonestar Soccer Club
- @NERevolution: #NERevs Academy roundup: Youth teams go undefeated against Albertson SC nerevs.us/pCjHe – New England Revolution
- @SKCAcademy: #SKC Academy alum Alex Sweetin with the GW goal. “@SLUMensSoccer: Billikens have knocked off No. 3 Creighton at Hermann Stadium, 1-0.” – Sporting Kansas City
Share your Academy news, comments, photos, links and more using the #OpportunityKnocks hashtag.
ACADEMY QUICK HITS (Weekend of Oct. 5-6):
- West Conference: Real Salt Lake AZ’s U-17/18 Academy team moved into first place in the Southwest Division with a 3-0-0 start to the season. Most recently, RSL overcame a one-goal deficit to the LA Galaxy for a 3-1 road victory on Sunday. Jose Hernandez, Niki Jackson and Jack Gayton scored three unanswered goals in a 23-minute span. The day before, Real Salt Lake AZ’s Brooks Lennon and Jackson tallied for a 2-0 victory against Chivas USA.
- Central Conference: The Shattuck-Saint Mary’s Soccer Academy U-17/18 team improved to 5-0-0 this season with a pair of shutout victories. Shattuck blanked the Crew Soccer Academy Wolves 1-0 on Saturday with Ricardo Lopez-Espin scoring the game’s only goal. Then, Shattuck’s Akeem Ward and Lopez-Espin each netted a goal for a 2-0 win against Vardar on Sunday. Shattuck has three shutouts on the season and has outscored its opponents 10-3 to take hold of first place in the Mid-America Division.
- East Conference: St. Louis Scott Gallagher Missouri’s U-15/16s traveled to Ohio this past weekend and came away with two shutout victories in Central Conference play. SLSG Missouri shut out Crew Soccer Academy 1-0 on Saturday with A.J. Palazzolo scoring in the 75th minute. Keegan Gordon’s two goals in a five-minute stretch and Sean Gouveia’s game-winner accounted for SLSG Missouri’s scoring output in a 3-0 win against Internationals on Sunday, moving to 4-0-2 on the season.
Stat of the Week: Players Development Academy’s U-13/14 team scored five times as many goals as it had over its previous three games combined with a 10-1 victory against Met Oval. PDA had only two goals in three matches heading into last weekend.
- Player of the Week: Collin Fernandez of the Chicago Fire Academy earned player of the week for the Sept. 28-29 weekend. Fernandez is playing up with the Fire’s U-17/18 team and scored an opening goal during the team’s 2-2 draw against Chicago Magic PSG. He is a member of the YNT pool and participated in U.S. Soccer’s National Combine from Aug. 9-13 at Nike’s World Headquarters in Oregon.
- Referee of the Week: Ray Moffatte, a 49-year-old national assistant referee from Washington, was named Academy Referee of the Week for his work during a U-15/16 Academy match between the Seattle Sounders and Crossfire Premier. Moffatte recently worked the 2012-13 Academy Playoffs, the 2011-12 Academy Finals Week, and the past three Winter Showcases. He has worked nearly 50 Academy matches in his career. Outside of the Academy, Moffatte has worked matches at the National Women’s Soccer League, PDL’s W-League, Major League Soccer Reserve League and the Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup.
For all Development Academy results, visit ussda.demosphere.com or click on the following links:
U.S. U-17s Unbeaten in Spain Trip: The U.S. Under-17 Men’s National Team posted a 1-0-2 record and scored seven goals during its 12-day trip to Madrid, Spain. LA Galaxy Academy’s Haji Wright scored three goals and assisted the other goal by FC Dallas Academy striker Alejandro Zendejas during the U-17 MNT’s 4-2 win against Rayo Vallecano Academy on Oct. 3. For more, visit ussoccer.com’s The YNT Blog.
- Feature: Dallas Texans Academy Alum Conor Doyle of D.C. United
- Feature: Tony Lepore Q & A: Developing Youth Players
- Video: Opportunity Knocks: Capital Area RailHawks’ Lucas Del Rosario
- Video: Opportunity Knocks: San Jose Earthquakes’ Edwin Lara
- Video: Opportunity Knocks: D.C. United’s Jose Carranza
- Video: Opportunity Knocks: Georgia United’s Juan Pablo Torres
- Video: Opportunity Knocks: New York Red Bulls’ Tyler Adams
- Video: U.S. Soccer Development Academy Launches U-13/14 Division
- The YNT Blog
ACADEMY ALUMNI UPDATE:
- Former Pateadores and LA Galaxy Academy forward Jose Villarreal scored a goal during the LA Galaxy Reserves’ 2-0 victory against Chivas USA’s Reserves to win its second straight MLS Reserve League West Division title . In regular-season MLS play this season, Villarreal has two goals, an assist and 11 starts in 20 games played.
Quotable: “He’s a fantastic talent and a guy we’ve counted on a lot this year. He continually threatens that back line and is a guy that continually creates chances for us.” – Portland Timbers’ Jack Jewsbury on former Academy player Darlington Nagbe (as told to The Oregonian)
UPCOMING ACADEMY SCHEDULE:
- 2013-14 Academy Schedule
- Development Academy Regular Season: The sixth weekend of the 2013-14 Academy season features 66 games across the three age groups.
- Development Academy Winter Showcase: Dec. 11-15 at Lakewood Ranch, Fla., for U-15/16 and U-17/18 Academy teams. The U-15/16 matches take place on Dec. 12, 13 and 15, and the U-17/18 games are Dec. 11, 12 and 14.
- Faribault Shattuck-St. Mary’s Remains Undefeated in Academy Play
- The Oregonian: Darlington Nagbe sets Timbers Record for Goals in Single Season
- mlssoccer.com: Caleb Porter: Darlington Nagbe has Joined Elite of MLS
- Soccer America: Tab Ramos: The Making of a Coach, Part 1
- Soccer America: Tab Ramos: The Making of a Coach, Part 2
- Soccer America: Do Captains Matter in Youth Soccer?
- Top Drawer Soccer: Academy Recap: RSL Secures SoCal Success
- studentsports.com: U-17/18 Recap: De Anza, RSL Post Big Wins
- studentsports.com: U-15/16 Recap: Two MLS Academy Teams Stunned
- studentsports.com: U-13/14 Recap
- Chivas USA: Four Academy Players Take Part in Monday’s MLS Reserve League Match
- Chicago Fire: Academy Sweeps Wisconsin Nationals
- D.C. United: Three Academy Teams Defeat Continental FC DELCO
- New England Revolution: Academy Teams go Unbeaten Against Albertson SC