Across the Academy - Feb. 7
Ramos Names 18-Player Roster for 2013 CONCACAF U-20 Championship: U.S. Under-20 Men’s National Team head coach Tab Ramos has called in 18 players for the CONCACAF U-20 Championship from Feb. 18 to March 3 in Mexico. The roster includes 14 former Development Academy players. The USA kicks off Group A play against Haiti on Feb. 18. The top four finishers of the tournament advance to the 2013 FIFA U-20 World Cup in Turkey.
U.S. Soccer, Nike Host Youth Futsal Invitational Events: With an emphasis on developing the U-13/14 age level, U.S. Soccer, in partnership with Nike, is hosting two youth futsal events from March 1-3 in Prussia, Pa., and a west coast event from April 19-24 at The Home Depot Center in Carson, Calif.
Academy Players Announce College Choices on National Signing Day: Throughout the country, a number of Development Academy players announced their collegiate paths on Wednesday, National Signing Day. More than 400 Academy players are bound to play college ball this fall. ussoccer.com breaks down the commitments by each Academy team.
LAST WEEK’S HIGHLIGHTS:
- Kory Kisling scored two goals and Cal Odyssey’s U-15/16 team defeated the Vancouver Whitecaps 3-0 last Saturday in Northwest Division action. Cal Odyssey improved to 4-9-2, and the shutout was the team’s third of the season. Gabriel Velazquez also contributed a goal for Cal Odyssey.
- Texans SC Houston’s U-15/16 team extended its unbeaten streak to seven games with a strong 4-0 victory against the Dallas Texans on Saturday. Jackson Shelledy and Bryce Marion each tallied a brace to account for the scoring. Texans SC Houston is 6-0-1 during this unbeaten stretch, outscoring the opposition 19-1. For the season, the team is 9-3-3 in the tightly contested Frontier Division.
- North Carolina Fusion’s Donovan Japp scored his 13th and 14th goals of the season as the Fusion garnered a 3-1 win against Chargers Soccer Club and a 2-1 victory against IMG Academy to extend its winning streak to four games. Japp has accounted for a whopping 70 percent of North Carolina Fusion’s offense this season.
Player of the Week: Eric Calvillo, M, Real So Cal
Real So Cal U-15/16 midfielder Eric Calvillo was named Development Academy Player of the Week as he scored two goals during the team’s 3-3 draw against the LA Galaxy on Saturday, Feb. 2. The goals were Calvillo’s first two of the season as he is playing up an age level.
Referee of the Week: George Kubove
George Kubove earns Referee of the Week honors for his performance during last Saturday’s U-15/16 match between Texans SC Houston and the Dallas Texans. Kubove is a Grade 5 referee from Texas-South and has worked more than 25 Academy matches over the past two years. He attended the 2012 Winter Showcase.
OTHER NEWS AND NOTES:
U-17 MNT Falls Short Against Nike’s The Chance Team: The U.S. U-17 Men’s National Team fell 4-3 to Nike’s The Chance Team on Monday at The Home Depot Center. San Diego Surf Academy product Brian Iloski, the United States’ lone representative on The Chance squad, assisted the game’s first two goals.
ACADEMY IN THE NEWS:
- Q & A with PDA’s Gerry McKeown – Soccer America
- Development Academy Recap: Sounders Strong in Trip South – Top Drawer Soccer
- 14 Colorado Rapids Academy Players Announce College Selections – coloradorapids.com
- FC Dallas Youth Players Sign College Commitments – fcdallas.com
- Houston Dynamo Academy Players Commit to Division I Programs – houstondynamo.com
- LA Galaxy Academy Players Sign Letters of Intent – lagalaxy.com
- Stanford’s Jeremy Gunn Joins San Jose Earthquakes Academy Staff – sjearthquakes.com
- Crew Development Players Commit to Play College Soccer – thecrew.com
2012-13 DEVELOPMENT ACADEMY SEASON:
- 2012 Academy Winter Showcase: 10-Month Season, Part I | 10-Month Season, Part II: New Teams | Orlando City Feature | Showcase Wrap-Up
- 2012-13 Academy Outlook: Overview | 10-Month Season | Improvement in Everyday Environment
- U-13/14 Starts in Fall of 2013: Release | Tony Lepore Q & A | U-13/14 Program