A stern reminder about an upcoming U.S. Soccer-related event, whether you plan to check it out live and in person, on the "tele" or that wacky world wide web.
MNT vs. Ireland -- April 17, 2:30 p.m. ET -- ESPN2
April 17 is more than just an important preparatory match for the U.S. Men's National Team as the 2002 World Cup rapidly approaches. It's also more than just the third of three big matches against high quality opponents from Europe. What April 17 really represents is the last chance for the players on the bubble of the World Cup roster to play their way onto the 23-man squad that will be throwing on their "Cool Motion" jerseys in Korea in June.
The U.S. is undefeated against Ireland in the last three times the two teams have met, and in the last contest, we squeaked out a 1-1 draw on a questionable offside no-call in which Ante Razov tied the game late, so they'll undoubtedly be looking to put a hurt on the Americans. With the size of the men across the pond, this match will also provide another test for the smaller, quicker U.S. squad against bigger, more physical opposition.
So take a late lunch, head to the nearest soccer-friendly restaurant-slash-pub, and watch the boys take on the lads on ESPN2 next Wednesday at 2:30 p.m. ET. If you get stuck at work, you can always wait and watch it on Telemundo via tape-delay at 11:30 p.m. ET. I promise not to tell you the result.
Table of Contents
1) Armchair Midfielder (Tuning Up for the Cup)
2) Word Association (w/ MNT defender Tony Sanneh)
3) What I Did on My Spring Break (w/ U-21 WNT midfielder Joanna Lohman)
4) Queries and Anecdotes (w/ WNT defender Jena Kluegel)
5) Superstar!!! (w/ WNT midfielder/forward Shannon MacMillan)
6) Mark That Calendar (MNT vs. Ireland -- April 17)
7) Point-Counterpoint (w/ journalists Michael Lewis and Grahame Jones)
8) "You Don't Know Jack (Marshall)" (General MLS trivia)
***HOW'S OUR WRITING?***
We want feedback. No, really. Positive, negative, indifferent--we take all kinds. Reach us at: firstname.lastname@example.org.