U.S. U-20 MNT Shoots for Round of 16 with Game against Korea Republic
U.S. U-20 Men's National Team Game Notes
FIFA U-20 World Cup
POISED TO ADVANCE: The U.S. U-20 Menâ€™s National Team sits on the verge of the FIFA U-20 World Cup Round of 16 and faces Korea Republic on Friday, Oct. 2 in its final game of Group C. With three points, the USA can confirm its passage to the next round with a point against a familiar foe from South Korea. Germany and Cameroon will play simultaneously, with all four teams having a shot at the knockout round. Both games kick off at 6:45 p.m. local time (12:45 p.m. ET) and the U.S. game will be broadcast on ESPN2 and Galavision. Fans can also follow both games live on ussoccer.comâ€™s MatchTracker and at twitter.com/ussoccer.
U.S. U-20 MNT Group C Schedule/Results
|Date||Opponent Time/Result||U.S. Goalscorers/TV||Venue|
|Sept. 26||Germany||--||Mubarak Stadium; Suez|
|Sept. 29||Cameroon||Arguez, Taylor, Duka Ownby||Mubarak Stadium; Suez|
|Oct. 2||Korea Republic||ESPN2/Galavision||Mubarak Stadium; Suez|
HOW WE MOVE ON: With the results of other groups, four points is enough to advance as at least a third-place team, meaning that a draw would be enough for the U.S. team to move onto the Round of 16. A win, combined with a Cameroon and Germany draw, or a Cameroon win by the same score as the USA game would lift Rongen's side to the top place in the group. A myriad of other results could even send the U.S. to the knock-out stage even if the U.S. were to end up with three total points after Friday's game.
Group C Standings
For a full tournament schedule and standings, click here.
THROUGHOUT THE TOURNAMENT: Through Wednesday night, 10 teams have secured their place in the Round of 16. Spain, Venezuela, Ghana and Uruguay have all earned maximum points from their first two games to assure either first or second in their respective groups. Additionally, Germany, UAE, Italy, Paraguay, Brazil and Czech Republic have all earned four points, and are guaranteed a place in the knock out stages, at minimum finishing as one of four third-place teams that will advance.
For complete results from the 2009 FIFA U-20 World Cup, click here.
KEEPING FRESH LEGS: U.S. head coach Thomas Rongen has used 15 of 18 field players through two matches, making five changes to his starting lineup from the opening game to the second match against Cameroon. Two of the first-time starters, Bryan Arguez and Dilly Duka, contributed a goal and an assist against Cameroon, while Danny Cruz played a part in USAâ€™s first goal by drawing a dangerous free kick.
U.S. U-20 Men's National Team World Cup Roster by Position
GOALKEEPERS (3): 1-Sean JohnsonÂ (Central Florida; Lilburn, Ga.), 18-Josh Lambo (FC Dallas; Middleton, Wis.), 13-Brian Perk (UCLA; Rancho Santa Margarita, Calif.)
DEFENDERS (5): 2-Gale Agbossoumonde (Miami FC; Syracuse, N.Y.), 6-Kyle Davies (FC Dallas; Danville, Calif.), 12-Aaron Maund (Notre Dame; Dorchester, Mass.), 16-Ike Opara (Wake Forest; Durham, N.C.), 4-Sheanon Williams (Unattached; Boston, Mass.)
MIDFIELDERS (10): 17-Bryan Arguez (Hertha Berlin, Miami), 5-Danny Cruz (Houston Dynamo; Glendale, Ariz.), 11-Mikkel Diskerud (Stabaek; Oslo, Norway), 10-Dilly Duka (Rutgers; Montville, N.J.), 19-Jorge Flores (Chivas USA; Anaheim, Calif.), 8-Jared Jeffrey (Club Brugge; Richardson, Texas), 14-Gerson Mayen (Chivas USA; Los Angeles), 15-Brian Ownby (Virginia; Glen Allen, Va.), 3-Dillon Powers (Notre Dame; Plano, Texas), 21-Michael Stephens (UCLA; Naperville, Ill.)
FORWARDS (3): 9-Peri Marosevic (FC Dallas; Rockford, Ill.), 20-Brek Shea (FC Dallas; College Station, Texas), 7-Tony Taylor (Miami FC; Jacksonville, Fla.)Â
FOUR OF A KIND: The four U.S. goal scorers (Brian Arguez, Tony Taylor, Dilly Duka and Brian Ownby) are the most ever for the U.S. in one match at the U-20 World Cup. In fact, only three U.S. teams have ever had more than four goalscorers in a single tournament â€“ the 1993, 2003 and 2007 squads. The 2003 team had the most different goal scorers, with six different players scoring 10 goals in five games, while the 2007 team scored the most goals with 12 goals in five games from five different goal scorers and an own goal.
WHAT DOES THE FUTURE HOLD? Are goals at the FIFA Under-20 World Cup a predictor of future success for players? In the 11 previous appearances by the U.S. at this event, there have been 36 different goal scorers. Of those, 25 have been capped by the full Menâ€™s National Team with DaMarcus Beasley leading the way with 89 international appearances, followed by Chris Henderson (79) and Hugo Perez (73). Of the 36 scorers, 13 have recorded a goal with the Menâ€™s National Team: Jeff Hooker, Perez, Henderson, Dario Brose, Danny Califf, Taylor Twellman, Carlos Bocanegra, Beasley, Eddie Johnson, Bobby Convey, Freddy Adu, Jozy Altidore and Michael Bradley.
- Rongen has faced Korea Republic in all three FIFA U-20 World Cups in which he has led the U.S. team, in 2003, 2007 and 2009, with all three meetings coming in the group stage.
- In 2007, the U.S. opened its campaign with a 1-1 draw against Korea Republic. In 2003, Rongen led his side to a 2-0 win en route to the quarterfinals in UAE.
- Tuesdayâ€™s match was the first time that a U.S. team has had four different goal scorers in a single game at this event.
- It was also just the fourth time that the U.S. has scored four or more goals in one game at the U-20 World Cup, with the next most recent offensive juggernaut coming in the second game of the 2007 tournament, a 6-1 win against Poland.
- Forward Brian Ownby has seen two cautions through the first two matches and will miss Fridayâ€™s game against Korea Republic with a suspension.
- Sheanon Williams, Ike Opara and Jared Jeffrey also received yellow cards against Cameroon. Should they earn a caution against Korea Republic, they would be forced to miss the USAâ€™s Round of 16 game if the team advances.
- All 21 of Koreaâ€™s players are eligible to play against the United States, but three players have earned single yellow cards.
- Suspensions from cautions carry over through the quarterfinal round. A player who earns a caution in the group phase and one in the Round of 16 would be forced to miss the quarterfinal match. All players enter the quarterfinal round with a clean slate
- Only Brazil (16), Australia (13) and Spain (13) have participated in more FIFA U-20 World Cups than the United States (12).
- Eleven different players on this roster have now scored an international goal at this level: Arguez, Danny Cruz, Mikkel Diskerud, uka, Jorge Flores, Jeffrey, Peri Marosevic, Ownby, Brek Shea, Michael Stephens and Taylor.
- The opening match against Germany was the first time the U.S. team has been shut out at this event in seven games, dating back the first round of the 2005 event, which was also against Germany.
- Duka scored in his first start at the FIFA U-20 World Cup, and also scored in his first ever international game the opener of the 2009 CONCACAF U-20 Championship in March against Jamaica.
- Brian Perk is making his second appearance in U-20 World Cup, having played one game during the 2007 event. Perk got the start in the Round of 16 win against Uruguay where he filled in for an injured Chris Seitz.
- Arguez made his first U-20 World Cup appearance in a game at the event when he came into the match against Germany at halftime.
- Six players played for the American squad at the 2007 FIFA U-17 World Cup in Korea Republic while one other player, Aaron Maund, also played in that event for Trinidad & Tobago.
- A total of 10 players participated in U.S. Soccerâ€™s U-17 Residency Program in Bradenton, Fla., including midfielder Jeffrey, who was the leading cap winner of that team.
- Forty-four different leagues from around the world are represented on the 24 national teams in Egypt.
U-20 MNT Coverage
* USA 0, GER 3: Notes | Match Report | Quotes
* USA 4, CMR 1: Notes | Match Report | Quotes
* Video: Germany Preview | Germany Reaction | Prep for Cameroon | Cameroon Reaction | Suez Hotel Tour
FOLLOW THE TEAM: You can always keep up with the U.S. U-20 MNTâ€™s daily activities, travel, training and off the field happenings by keeping up with the new YNT Blog on ussoccer.com. The YNT Blog is also your top source for videos, features, and photos from Egypt that you wonâ€™t find anywhere else.
FOLLOW US ON TWITTER: Keep up with all the news (in short form, of course) from U.S. Soccer by signing up at www.twitter.com/ussoccer
HOW WE GOT HERE: The U.S. U-20 MNT qualified for its CONCACAF record seventh-straight and 12th overall FIFA U-20 World Cup by clinching second place in the regional championship held in Trinidad & Tobago in March. Five different goal scorers netted for the U.S. side during group play in Tobago, as a 3-0 win against Jamaica, a 0-0 draw with Honduras and a 2-0 win against El Salvador paved the way to a place in the semifinals and a berth to Egypt.In the first CONCACAF U-20 championship game since 1996, head coach Thomas Rongen made several changes to his lineup for the championship match and the U.S. eventually fell 3-0 to Costa Rica.Â
2009 CONCACAF U-20 Championship Results
|Date||Opponent||Result||U.S. Goal Scorer(s)||Venue|
|March 6||Jamaica||3-0 W||Marosevic, Duka, Schuler||Dwight Yorke Stadium; Bacolet, Tobago|
|March 8||Honduras||0-0 T||--||Dwight Yorke Stadium; Bacolet, Tobago|
|March 10||El Salvador||2-0 W||Shea, Taylor||Dwight Yorke Stadium; Bacolet, Tobago|
|March 13||T & T||0-0 T (4-3 PKs)||--||Marvin Lee Stadiunm; Macoya, Trinidad|
|March 15||Costa Rica||0-3 L||--||Marvin Lee Stadium; Macoya, Trinidad|
KOREA REPUBLIC FACT FILE
Korea Football Association
Founded: 1933 (Joined FIFA in 1948)
Best U-20 World Cup Finish: Semifinals (1983)
Head Coach: Hong Myung-Bo
CHECKING IN ON KOREA: The U.S. and Korea Republic will square off for the second-straight FIFA U-20 World Cup after opening what was widely considered the â€œGroup of Deathâ€ with a 1-1 draw in 2007. Korea Republic will be participating in this event for the 11th time, but have not advanced out of the group stage since a trip to the quarterfinals in 1991. Korea Republic advanced to the all-important quarterfinals of Asian qualifying with group wins against Syria and Iraq, and needed to get past a difficult Japan side to seal one of Asiaâ€™s four berths to Egypt. The side accomplished its mission with an emphatic 3-0 win to advance to the World Cup. Though eliminated by Uzbekistan in the semifinals, Korea Republic changed coaches leading up to the tournament this fall, bringing on Hong Myung Bo and have had a successful string of friendlies since.
ONE GAME TO GO: After a disappointing opening game loss to Cameroon, South Korea rebounded with an encouraging 1-1 draw against Germany. The tie gave Korea life in Group C and ensured the Taeguk Warriors gave themselves a chance at the knock-out round heading into their final group game against the USA.
Korea Republic Roster by Position
GOALKEEPERS (3): 1-Lee Bum-Young, 12-Kim Seung-Gyu, 21-Kim Da-Sol
DEFENDERS (8): 2-Oh Jae-Suk, 3-Kim Min-Woo, 4-Lim Jong-Eun, 5-Kim Young-Gwon, 6-Hong Jeong-Ho, 13-Jeong Dong-Ho, 16-Jang Suk-Won, 17-Yun Suk-Young
MIDFIELDERS (4): 7-Koo Ja-Cheol, 8-Seo Yong-Duk, 14-Moon Ki-Han, 15-Choi Sung-Guen,
FORWARDS (6): 9-Kim Dong-Sub, 10-Cho Young-Cheol, 11-Seo Jung-Jin, 18-Lee Seung-Yeoul, 19-Kim Bo-Kyung, 20-Park Hee-Seong
BO KNOWS: Korea Republic is coached by legendary defender Hong Myung-Bo, who played in four FIFA World Cups for Korea from 1990-2002, captaining the side to its historic semifinal finish on home soil in 2002. After his Bronze Ball performance in Korea-Japan 2002, a feat that no other Asian player has achieved, Hong moved across the Pacific Ocean to play for the Los Angeles Galaxy in 2003 and 2004 before hanging up his boots. In 2005, he was named as an assistant to Korea Republicâ€™s senior team, and helped lead the squad in the 2006 World Cup in Germany before taking the reigns of the U-20 team late in the current cycle.
2008 AFC U-19 Championship Results
|Oct. 31||Korea Republic 1, Syria 0||Dammam, Saudi Arabia|
|Nov. 2||UAE 2, Korea Republic 1||Dammam, Saudi Arabia|
|Nov. 4||Korea Republic 2, Iraq 0||Dammam, Saudi Arabia|
|Nov. 8||Korea Republic 3, Japan 0||Dammam, Saudi Arabia|
|Nov. 11||Uzbekistan 1, Korea Republic 0||Dammam, Saudi Arabia|
LAST TIME OUT:
On the field for the U.S.
Sept. 29, 2009 | Mubarak Stadium â€“ Suez, Egypt | 2009 FIFA U-20 World Cup, First Round
USAÂ Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â 4Â Â Â Â Bryan Arguez 45+1, Tony Taylor 47, Dilly Duka 67, Brian Ownby 90+1
CameroonÂ Â Â 1 Â Â Banana Yaya (penalty) 75
USA: 13-Brian Perk (capt.); 4-Sheanon Williams, 2-Gale Agbossoumonde, 16-Ike Opara, 19-Jorge Flores; 8-Jared Jeffrey, 17-Bryan Arguez, 10-Dilly Duka (3-Dillon Powers, 76); 5-Danny Cruz, 7-Tony Taylor (15-Brian Ownby, 74), 20-Brek Shea
Subs not used: 1-Sean Johnson, 18-Josh Lambo, 6-Kyle Davies, 9-Peri Marosevic, 11-Mikkel Diskerud, 12-Aaron Maund, 14-Gerson Mayen, 21-Michael Stephens
Head coach: Thomas Rongen
CMR: 1-Francois Beyokol (capt.); 4-Banana Yaya, 6-Charley Fomen, 7-Olivier Boumale, 9-Brice Owona, 12-Adolphe Teikeu, 13-Parfait Essenque, 17-Germain Tiko (10-Jacques Zoua, 51), 18-Jean Bapidi (5-Enow Tabot, 73), 19-Donald Djousse (14-Patrick Ekeng, 51), 21-Andre Akono Effa
Subs not used: 11-Thierry Tangouantio, 16-Joseph Asong; 2-Olivier Mvondo, 3-Sylvain Abad, 8-Etienne Soppo, 15-Etienne Etoo, 20-Ghislain Mvom
Head Coach: Alain Wabo
On the field for Korea Republic
Sept. 29, 2009 | Mubarak Stadium â€“ Suez, Egypt | 2009 FIFA U-20 World Cup, First Round
Germany Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â 1Â Â Â Â Â Richard Sukuta-Pasu 33
Korea RepublicÂ Â Â Â 1Â Â Â Â Â Kim Min-Woo 71
GER: 1-Ron-Robert Zieler; 2-Sebastian Jung, 4-Florian Jungwirth (capt.), 5-Lars Bender, 8-Mario Mvrancic (11-Manuel Schaeffler, 88), 9-Richard Sukuta-Pasu, 10-Lewis Holtby, 13-Bjorn Kopplin, 14-Dani Schahin (3-David Vrzogic, 46), 15-Semih Aydilek (16-Cihan Kaptan, 46), 17-Patrick Funk
Subs not used: 21-Sebastian Mielitz, 12-Tom Mickel, 18-Tobias Kempe, 19-Kai Fabian Schulz, 20-Maik Rodenberg
Head Coach: Horst Hrubesch
KOR: 1-Kim Seung-Gyu; 2-Oh Jae-Suk, 3-Kim Min-Woo (15-Choi Sung-Guen, 78), 5-Kim Young-Gwon, 6-Hong Jeong-Ho, 7-Koo Ja-Cheol (capt.), 11-Seo Jung-Jin (10-Cho Young-Cheol, 69), 14-Moon Ki-Han, 17-Yun Suk-Young, 19-Kim Bo-Kyung, 20-Park Hee-Seong (18-Lee Seung-Yeoul, 73)
Subs Not Used: 1-Lee Bum-Young, 21-Kim Da-Sol, 4-Lim Jong-Eun, 8-Seo Yong-Duk, 9-Kim Dong-Sub, 13-Jeong Dong-Ho, 16-Jang Suk-Won
Head Coach: Hong Myung-Bo
â€¦U-20 USA vs. Korea Republic
June 30, 2007 | Olympic Stadium â€“ Montreal, Canada | 2007 FIFA U-20 World Cup, First Round
USA Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â 1Â Â Â Â Â Danny Szetela 16
Korea RepublicÂ Â Â Â 1 Â Â Â Shin Young-Rok 38
USA: 1 â€“ Chris Seitz; 2-Tim Ward, 5- Nathan Sturgis, 16-Julian Valentin, 19-Tony Beltran; 7-Danny Szetela (10-Dax McCarty, 52), 8-Robbie Rogers, 11-Freddy Adu (capt.), 6-Michael Bradley; 12-Josmer Altidore, 15-Sal Zizzo
Subs not used: 18-Brian Perk, 21-Stephen Sandbo; 3-Bryan Arguez, 4-Amaechi Igwe, 9-Preston Zimmerman, 13-Ofori Sarkodie, 14-Anthony Wallace, 17-Gabe Ferrari, 20-Andre Akpan
Head Coach: Thomas Rongen
KOR: 21-Kim Jin-Hyeon; 2-Choi Chul-Soon, 3-Shin Kwang-Hoon, 5-Ki Sung-Yueng, 8-Kim Dong-Suk (17-Song Jin-Hyung, 70), 9-Lee Sang-Ho, 10-Shim Young-Sung(16-Lee Hyun-Seung, 84), 11-Park Joo-Ho (capt.), 14-Lee Chung-Yong, 18-Shin Young-Rok (19-Ha Tae-Goon, 59), 20-Bae Seung-Jin
Subs not used: 1-Jo Su-Huk, 12-Lee Jin-Hyung, 4-Park Hyun-Bem, 7-Park Jong-Jin, 13-Lee Sung-Jae, 15-Jeong Kyung-Ho
Head Coach: Cho Dong-Hyun