Across the Academy - June 6
U-20 MNT Closes Out Toulon Tournament:
The U-20 Men’s National Team looks forward to the 2013 FIFA World Cup in Turkey after finishing the tournament in Toulon, France with a 1-0 loss to Korea Republic. Three current Academy players and 15 former Academy members were on the roster for the tournament. Head coach Tab Ramos will name a 21-player roster for the World Cup Friday.
Diego Fagundez Named MLS Player of the Week:
With a goal and two assists in a 5-0 win against defending MLS Cup champions LA Galaxy, Diego Fagundez of the New England Revolution was named MLS Player of the Week for Week 14. Teammate and fellow Academy product Kelyn Rowe (Crossfire Premier) also tallied a goal and a pair of assists. For more, visit The YNT Blog.
- U.S. Soccer Development Academy on Facebook and Twitter
- 2012-13 Academy Schedules | 2012-13 Academy Standings
Marriott’s Academy ‘One-Stop-Shop’: As the official hotel sponsor of U.S. Soccer, Marriott is providing Development Academy teams with the opportunity to earn discounts on personal travel. You can benefit from this relationship by taking advantage of Marriott’s TeamTravel “one-stop-shop” website for groups less than 25 rooms per night:
LAST WEEK’S HIGHLIGHTS:West Conference:
Real Salt Lake AZ U-17/18 dominated Arsenal FC U-17/18 8-2 in their last game of the regular season. Kosta Kotselas, Jose Navarro and Amer Sasivarevic each tallied two goals for RSL in the win. They are one of the 28 teams to already clinch a playoff spot.
Chicago Magic PSG U-15/16 took a big step toward making the playoffs with a 5-0 drubbing of St. Louis Scott Gallagher Missouri U-15/16. Andrija Novakovich netted a hat trick to keep Magic PSG in the hunt for a wild card spot. With five teams still in the running, they are in the best position to qualify for one of the four spots remaining.
Both the U-15/16 and U-17/18 of the Revolution Empire did not do themselves any favors with respective 0-4 and 1-6 losses to league leading New York Red Bulls. With just four spots for five teams, the U-15/16 side currently finds itself on the outside looking in, while the U-17/18 will not go to the playoffs, but will compete in the showcase. Both ages have two games yet to play.
Player of the Week: Matthew Miazga, New York Red Bulls U-17/18
Matthew Miazga helped the New York Red Bulls earn the No. 1 overall seed in the U-17/18 division heading into the playoffs. The team currently has a 18-1-4 record. He was a member of the U-18 camp that traveled to France, and recently signed a Home Grown contract with the New York Red Bulls.
Referee of the Week: Lucas Brooks
Lucas Brooks earns Referee of the Week for making Saturday’s match that saw the Portland Timers U-17/18 fall 3-0 to the Seattle Sounders U-17/18 enjoyable for both spectators and players. The 30-year-old Grade 6 referee has worked three Academy matches. Brooks was recently the senior assistant referee on the first round U.S. Open Cup match between the Portland Timbers U-23s and the Sacramento Gold on May 14.
ACADEMY IN THE NEWS:
- Diego Fagundez voted Player of the Week after inspiring New England Revolution rout of LA Galaxy – mlssoccer.com
- MLS assist leader Kelyn Rowe credits New England Revolution tactical shift for offensive outburst – mlssoccer.com
- Development Academy preview: Derby Dash – Top Drawer Soccer
- Boys Commitments: Juniors Making Moves – Top Drawer Soccer
- Red Bulls sign U-18 Academy Player Matt Miazga – redbullsacademy.com
- In the Mix: U-20 MNT Forward Victor Pineda (Chicago Fire) - ussoccer.com
- In the Mix: U-20 MNT Forward Alfred Koroma (Solar Chelsea SC) – ussoccer.com
- In the Mix: U-20 MNT Midfielder Kellyn Acosta (FC Dallas) – ussoccer.com
- In the Mix: U-20 MNT Defender Eric Miller (Minnesota Thunder) – ussoccer.com
2012-13 DEVELOPMENT ACADEMY SEASON:
- 2012 Academy Winter Showcase: 10-Month Season, Part I | 10-Month Season, Part II: New Teams | Orlando City Feature | Showcase Wrap-Up
- 2012-13 Academy Outlook: Overview | 10-Month Season | Improvement in Everyday Environment
- U-13/14 Starts in Fall of 2013: Release | Tony Lepore Q & A | U-13/14 Program