Across the Academy - Nov. 10
Five Players Added to U.S. U-23 Menâ€™s National Team Training Camp Roster: After naming a 31-man roster for the U.S. U-23 Menâ€™s National Team training camp, head coach Caleb Porter added five players to the group that is currently training in Germany. On Nov. 4, Porter added Development Academy alumnus Juan Agudelo, as well as Jack McInerney, Amobi Okugo and Sheanon Williams. Three days later, he called in former Pateadores standout Luis Gil, as well as Teal Bunbury who later withdrew due to an ankle injury.
U.S. Soccer to Host 2012 CONCACAF Menâ€™s Olympic Qualifying: U.S. Soccer and the Confederation of North, Central American and Caribbean Association Football (CONCACAF) announced today that the United States will host the 2012 Menâ€™s Olympic qualifying tournament from March 22 to April 2 in Nashville, Carson, Calif., and Kansas City, Kan. The tournament will determine both of the confederationâ€™s representatives at the 2012 Olympic Games in London. The eight-nation tournament consists of two four-team groups, with the top two finishers from each group advancing to the semifinals. The semifinal winners will advance to the tournament final and book their tickets to London.
Featured Fixtures: At the U-17/18 age level, the Western Conference will be the site of intense matches this weekend as Arsenal FC (3-0-4) hosts defending champions Pateadores (4-1-1), and the Vancouver Whitecaps (3-0-1) travel south to face the San Diego Surf (3-3-2). The Dallas Texans U-15/16 team (5-0-2) hosts the Houston Dynamo (3-1-2) as it attempts to maintain its position at the top of the Texas Division. To the east, South Carolina United Battery (8-1-2) will also be fighting to remain at the stop of the Southeast Division standings as it hosts Academy rookie Georgia United (6-3-4).
LAST WEEKâ€™S HIGHLIGHTS:
- A total of 80 goals were scored in the 28 Academy games played last weekend.Â
- Two players, one in each age group, scored a hat trick last weekend: Logan Magonigal for California Development Academy U-15/16 and Gabriel Cano for Andromeda FC U-17/18.
- De Anza Force U-15/16 climbed to the top of the Northwest Division with a 4-0 win against Santa Cruz Breakers Academy.Â
- Real Salt Lake AZ U-15/16 and LA Galaxy U-17/18 remain undefeated at the top of the SoCal Division with identical 3-0-0 division records and 5-0-0 overall records.
- FC Dallas U-17/18 leads the Texas Division, which has only played divisional matches, with a 7-0-1 record after eight games.Â
- Lonestar Academy U-17/18â€™s Kekuta Manneh scored in the teamâ€™s 6-0 win against Classics Elite, increasing his season tally to 11 goals.
- Virginia Rush U/15/16 and McLean Youth Soccer U-17/18 lead the Atlantic Division with identical 3-0-0 divisional records.
Week 9 Player of the Week: Aravind Sivakumar â€“ Midfielder, De Anza Force
Aravind Sivakumar scored twice and was a key factor in De Anza Forceâ€™s U/15/16 4-0 victory against Santa Cruz County Breakers. Sivakumar played the full 80 minutes against Santa Cruz and has played in all eight of the teamâ€™s matches so far this season, starting in six. His two goals last weekend increase his tally to three goals this season.
Referee of the Week: Brandon Adams
Brandon Adams, a Grade 6 referee from Georgia, earned high marks in last weekendâ€™s match between Southeast Division U-15/16 opponents, Concorde Fire and Birmingham United. Adams has officiated almost 50 Academy matches in the past three years. He attended the Academyâ€™s Spring Showcase in 2009 and 2010, the Winter Showcase in 2009 and 2010, the Playoffs in 2009 and has been invited to attend the upcoming 2011 Winter Showcase. He also referees in the NASL.
ACADEMY ALUMNI NEWS AND NOTES:
Houston Dynamo Academy Alumnus in MLS Cup: Academy alumni Will Bruin saw action in the Dynamoâ€™s playoff run, helping the team to capture the Eastern Conference championship. The Dynamo faces the LA Galaxy in MLS Cup on Sunday, Nov. 20, at 9 p.m. ET, live on ESPN and Galavision.
Ruben Luna Leads Reserve League in Scoring: Former FC Dallas Academy standout and 2009 Development Academy Player of the Year Ruben Luna leads the MLS Reserve League with six goals in nine games for the Dallas team. After signing with FC Dallas as a homegrown player in 2010, the 19-year-old played 14 games for the first team during the 2011 season.
Former De Anza Midfielder Marc Pelosi Signs with Liverpool FC: U.S. Under-17 Men's National Team player and Academy alumnus Marc Pelosi has signed with Liverpool Football Club . The imposing midfielder captained the U.S. in the 2011 FIFA U-17 World Cup and has been involved with every level of the Youth National Teams. Pelosi joined the U-17 Residency Program in the fall of 2009 and played for U.S. Soccer Development Academy Club De Anza Force. Pelosi has been training with Liverpool for months but had to wait for international clearance before inking a deal. He is now the second U.S. international on the team, joining U-18 player Villyan Bijev, who signed with LFC in July of 2011.
ACADEMY IN THE NEWS:
- ESPN RISE highlights the upcoming match between De Anza Force U-15/16 and Seattle Sounders â€“ ESPN RISEÂ
- MLSsoccer highlights Calichmann and MuÃ±oz leading the Academy efforts at Chivas USA â€“ MLSsoccer.comÂ
- Minnesota Thunder Academy and Shattuck-St. Maryâ€™s look forward to kicking off second season of Development Academy play â€“ Inside Minnesota SoccerÂ
- Georgia United leading scorer Kevin Hady verbally committed to Wofford â€“ ESPN RISEÂ
- ESPN RISE talks to Max Brown about his connection with Manchester City Academy â€“ ESPN RISEÂ
- D.C. United Academyâ€™s Marcus Salandy-Defour verbally committed to Virginia â€“ ESPN RISE