Across the Academy - Dec. 22
U.S. U-15 BNT and U-23 MNT Camps Wrap Up: The U.S. U-15 Boysâ€™ National Team camp ended last week and the U.S. U-23 Menâ€™s National Team camp wraps up Friday, Dec. 23, at Premier Sports Campus in Lakewood Ranch, Fla. Both the U-15 BNT and the U-23 MNT featuredcurrent Academy players and Academy alumni, respectively.
Agudelo, Hamid Named to 20-Player January Camp Roster: Academy alumni Bill Hamid and Juan Agudelo were once again called into Menâ€™s National Team camp by U.S. head coach Jurgen Klinsmann. Klinsmann has named 20 players to the training camp roster that will run from Jan. 3-26 in the United States and Panama. The U.S. will host Venezuela on Jan. 21 at the University of Phoenix Stadium in Glendale, Ariz. Four days later, the U.S. faces Panama at the Estadio Rommel Fernandez in Panama City. Fans can follow both games live on ussoccer.comâ€™s MatchTracker and Twitter @ussoccer.
LAST WEEKâ€™S HIGHLIGHTS:
- Seattle Sounders FC continues to lead the Northwest Division in both age groups, posting a combined 3-1-0 record over the weekend.Â
- Only two players scored multiples goals in the West Conference, with Denis Kalamar scoring twice for Seattle Sounders FC U-15/16 against Vancouver Whitecaps FC and James Molyneux-Elliot scoring twice for Seattle Sounders FC U-15/16 against California Development Academy.
- The only two multiple goal scorers in the Central conference scored in the same game, with Abdulraham Yassine tallying twice for FC Dallas and Alan Winn scoring two times for Solar Chelsea in the 2-2 draw between the U-15/16 teams.Â
- Two matches were postponed, one in each age group between Lonestar SC and the Houston Dynamo. They will be rescheduled for a later date.
- CASL Chelsea FC Academy was unbeaten during the weekend, with the U-15/16 tying Concorde Fire 0-0 and defeating Birmingham United 2-0, and the U-17/18 team winning 1-0 against Concorde Fire and 2-0 against Birmingham United.
Week 15 Player of the Week: Alan Winn â€“ Midfielder, Solar Chelsea
Alan Winn scored twice to help Solar Chelsea U-15/16 tie 2-2 against FC Dallas. Winn has featured prominently on the team this season, starting 12 of the teamâ€™s 13 games and scoring 10 goals so far this season. Winn was recently invited to the U.S. U-17 MNT mini-camp in Bradenton, Fla., and was also a member of the 2009 Under-14 National Development Program player pool.
Referee of the Week: Jesus Cisneros
Jesus Cisneros earned Referee of the Week honors after receiving high marks and a positive evaluation following the U-17/18 Arsenal FC match against Strikers FC. The 25-year-old from Cal-South was also a referee of the week in the 2009-10 season and has officiated more than 70 Academy matches, including games at the 2011 Winter Showcase, the 2011 Development Academy Finals Week and 2011 Playoffs, and the 2008 Winter Showcase. Cisneros has also refereed in the Open Cup and Youth National Team programs, MLS scrimmages, USL Pro and PDL.
ACADEMY ALUMNI NEWS AND NOTES:
FC Westchester Alumnus Brian Span Signs Pro Contract: After a year at the University of Virginia, former FC Westchester player Brian Span signed a contract with DjurgÃ¥rden, of the Swedish first division. Span, who goes by Cobi, was named to Second Team All-ACC this year with seven goals and five assists for the Cavaliers.
ACADEMY IN THE NEWS:
- Q & A with Darren Sawatzky from Seattle Sounders FC about the Academy â€“ Sounder at HeartÂ
- Vardar SC Freiburg and former U.S. U-17 MNT player Zach Carroll commits to Virginia â€“ ESPN RISEÂ
- Dallas Texans U-15/16 is already gearing up for the January showdown against FC Dallas â€“ ESPN RISE
- ESPN RISE posts the Academy scoring leaders from the weekend â€“ ESPN RISE