A Busy Week 8 of the USSF D2 Pro League Sees Austin and Tampa Establish Themselves at Top of League
Week 8 Recap and Week 9 Preview of the 2010 USSF D-2 Pro League
Week 8 Recap
The Austin Aztex and Tampa Bay Rowdies were two of three teams to take six points from two matches this week in USSF D-2 Pro League action to establish themselves at the top of the USL Conference with 20 and 18 points respectively. Their next closest rivals are the Rochester Rhinos on 14 points, also of the USL Conference. The Aztex started the week with a 3-1 victory over Miami FC at Lockhart Stadium on Wednesday, May 26. The Carolina RailHawks - the third team to take six points on the week - registered a 2-1 win on the road to the Puerto Rico Islanders later that same evening. Thursday night's match between the Tampa Bay Rowdies and NSC Minnesota Stars ended in a 3-1 win for Tampa and marked only their second match at home this year. Four games on Saturday night were started by the Rochester Rhino's 2-1 home win against Vancouver Whitecaps FC and Austin's second win of the week - a 2-0 decision against Crystal Palace Baltimore at UMBC Stadium. Tampa defended their unbeaten home record with a 2-1 victory against Puerto Rico while the NSC Minnesota Stars returned to winning ways against AC St. Louis with a 3-2 win at home. The weekend was capped by Carolina's 2-0 win on the road to Montreal at Stade Saputo giving the RailHawks their second win in four days.
Week 8 Results
|May 26||Miami FC 1, Austin Aztex 3||7:30 p.m.||Lockhart Stadium; Ft. Lauderdale, Fla.|
|May 26||Puerto Rico Islanders 1, Carolina RailHawks 2||8:05 p.m.||Estadio Juan Ramon Loubriel; Vayamon, Puerto Rico|
|May 27||Tampa Bay Rowdies 3, NSC Minnesota Stars 1||7:30 p.m.||George M. Steinbrenner Field; Tampa, Fla.|
|May 29||Rochester Rhinos 2, Vancouver Whitecaps FC 1||7 p.m.||Marina Auto Stadium; Rochester, N.Y.|
|May 29||NSC Minnesota Stars 3, AC St. Louis 2||8 p.m.||National Sports Center; Blaine, Minn.|
|May 29||Crystal Palace Baltimore 0, Austin Aztex 2||7 p.m.||UMBC Stadium; Cantonsville, Md.|
|May 29||Tampa Bay Rowdies 2, Puerto Rico Islanders 1||7:30 p.m.||George M. Steinbrenner Field; Tampa, Fla.|
|May 30||Montreal Impact 0, Carolina RailHawks 2||2 p.m.||Stade Saputo; Montreal, Quebec|
Week 8 Quick Hits
- Miami succomed to their first defeat of the season at the hands of Austin on May 26. There now remain no unbeaten teams in the league.
- The loss to Carolina marked the end of a five-match unbeaten streak in USSF D-2 Pro League play by the Montreal Impact.
- Conversely, Carolina had been winless in four straight outings before notching two victories this week with coming on the road.
- After league leaders Austin, Tampa Bay and close rival Rochester, there are six clubs all with two points of each other in the overall league table.
Week 9 Preview
Miami will make the short Caribbean journey to Puerto Rico to take on the Puerto Rico Islanders at 8:05 p.m. ET on June 2 as Week 9 of the USSF D-2 Pro League kicks off. Rochester and the NSC Minesota Stars will pick up the schedule on Friday at 7:30 p.m. ET as the Minnesota club visits Marina Auto Stadium in USL Conference showdown. Puerto Rico will be on the road on the only Saturday evening match as they travel to Austin, Texas to take on the Aztex at 8:30 p.m. ET at House Park. Sunday's three matches wil get underway in the afternoon as the Montreal Impact play host to Miami FC at Stade Saputo at 2 p.m. ET as the two NASL Conference foes will be fighting for points in the middle of the table. The week concludes on the West Coast at Tampa Bay Rowdies look to continue their good form against Vancouver Whitecaps FC at 7 p.m. ET and the Portland Timbers will be back in action after a break last week when they take on the resurgent Carolina RailHawks at 9 p.m. ET at PGE Park.
Week 9 Schedule
|June 2||Puerto Rico Islanders vs. Miami FC||8:05 p.m.||Estadio Juan Ramon Loubriel; Vayamon, Puerto Rico|
|June 4||Rochester Rhinos vs. NSC Minnesota Stars||7:30 p.m.||Marina Auto Stadium; Rochester, N.Y.|
|June 5||Austin Aztex vs. Puerto Rico Islanders||8:30 p.m.||House Park; Austin, Texas|
|June 6||Montreal Impact vs. Miami FC||2 p.m.||Stade Saputo; Montreal, Quebec|
|June 6||Vancouver Whitecaps FC vs. Tampa Bay Rowdies||7 p.m.||Swangard Stadium; Burnaby; British Columbia|
|June 6||Portland Timbers vs. Carolina RailHawks||9 p.m.||PGE Park; Portland, Ore.|
Week 9 Notes
- Carolina has completed two games of a four-game road trip. Their game against Portland is the start of a Pacific Northwest doubleheader as they travel to Vancouver on June 9.
- Tampa's match against Vancouver marks the start of a Canadian double, as they play host to the Montreal Impact in Week 10.
- While the Montreal Impact have scored a league-low five goals, they have only conceded six - tying them for the second-best in the league.
- Full Schedule and League Standings
- Individual Player Stats Leaders
- Goalkeeping Stats Leaders
- Team Stats