MNT Weekend Rewind: Jermaine Back on the Board, Cherundolo Back in Action
This past weekend, numerous U.S. Men’s National Team players put in positive performances for clubs across Europe. From scoring goals to not allowing them and everything in between, here’s a rundown of notable performances by Yanks abroad.
Highlights of the weekend action from MNT players abroad:
- Jermaine Jones hit a cannon of a shot that provided the insurance for Schalke in a 3-0 win against Stuttgart. The goal was the first for Jones in a Schalke uniform since he tallied against Galatasary in the Champions League last February, and his first in league play since September of 2012.
- Steve Cherundolo returned to the field for the first time since May, entering as a substitute as Hannover posted a 2-0 shutout against Frankfurt.
- Speaking of first minutes, Brek Shea earned his first Premier League action of the campaign when he played the final 30 minutes for Stoke City in their 4-0 loss at Everton.
- Tim Howard collected his seventh shutout of the campaign, equaling the current English Premier League best mark, as Everton now sits fifth place in the table.
- Michael Bradley started for Roma in a 1-1 draw at Atalanta, which kept his side in second place. Bradley has now appeared in all but one Serie A match for which he was available this season.
The coming week promises to deliver more action for U.S. MNT players as there are a bevy of mid-week English Premier League matches on NBCSN Live Extra, including Howard and Everton visiting Manchester United (Wednesday, 2:45 p.m. ET), Shea and his Stoke City teammate Geoff Cameron hosting Cardiff City (Wednesday, 2:45 ET) and Jozy Altidore’s Sunderland welcoming Chelsea to the Stadium of Light (Wednesday, 2:45 p.m. ET.).
Across the Channel, Alejandro Bedoya and Nantes face a double-game week, first welcoming Valenciennes to Bretagne before traveling to Marseille on Friday (4:45 p.m. ET, beIN Sport).
A chance for silverware will be on hand when Graham Zusi, Matt Besler and Sporting Kansas City take on Kyle Beckerman, Nick Rimando and Real Salt Lake in the 18th edition of MLS Cup, which will air Saturday at 4 p.m. ET on ESPN and UniMas.