Across the Academy – Oct. 3, 2013
#OpportunityKnocks with D.C. United’s Carranza: D.C. United Academy midfielder Jose Carranza, a member of the U.S. Under-14 Boys’ National Team, sat down with ussoccer.com for its Opportunity Knocks series to talk about how the intense level of play at both the national team and Academy level will aid his performance and development as a player.
Doyle Making Most of Loan at D.C.: Before Tuesday’s 1-0 victory against Real Salt Lake in the 2013 Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup Final, former Dallas Texans Academy player Conor Doyle caught up with ussoccer.com. Doyle talked about his first season with D.C. United on loan from English Championship side Derby County and the immediate impact he is seeing from former Development Academy players throughout MLS.
- Hamid Saves Six for Open Cup Crown: Former D.C. United Academy goalkeeper Bill Hamid made six saves during D.C. United’s 1-0 win at Real Salt Lake for the organization’s third U.S. Open Cup title.
- 2013 Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup Highlights
ACADEMY SOCIAL CONNECTION:
- @IndianaFireDA: Congrats to Ryan Clark and the U-15/16s back line for their 2nd consecutive shutout! Well done boys! #CleanSheet – Indiana Fire Academy
- @RichmondKickers: Congratulations to our MLS partner @dcunited on their #USOC Championship! #DCU – Richmond Kickers
- @SKCAcademy: Man of the Match goes to Zach Wright (@zhwright11) who scored four goals! Tucker Stephenson (@YABOI_TUCK) had SKC’s first goal #SKC – Sporting Kansas City, following the U-17/18 team’s 5-3 victory against the Colorado Rapids
Share your Academy news, comments, photos, links and more using the #OpportunityKnocks hashtag.
ACADEMY QUICK HITS (Weekend of Sept. 28-29):
- West Conference: Adonis Amaya scored four goals and the LA Galaxy U-17/18 defeated the San Diego Surf 5-1 on Sunday. The LA Galaxy is 3-0-0 atop the Southwest Division. The team has scored 14 goals in three games while allowing three. Amaya leads the squad with five tallies.
- Central Conference: FC Dallas was the last remaining club to kick off its 2013-14 season and the U-15/16 and U-17/18 teams opened the new campaign in strong fashion, each earning a 2-0 victory in a Dallas derby against Solar Chelsea SC on Saturday. At the U-17/18s, Diego De la Tejera and Cesar Murillo each scored a goal for FC Dallas. At the U-15/16 age group, FC Dallas’ Nicholas Hamalainen and Mario Ramirez Sansabas provided the scoring.
- East Conference: Albertson SC has enjoyed a perfect start to the season at both the U-15/16 and U-17/18 levels, with each group improving to 4-0-0 over the weekend to lead the Northeast Division. The U-15/16 team blanked Seacoast United 2-0 on goals from Conrad Nowowiejski and Alexis Santa. Albertson’s U-17/18s posted their third straight shutout with a 4-0 win against Seacoast United. Arthur Bosua had two goals, and Jeongho Ahn and Luis Argudo also chipped in with a goal apiece.
Stat of the Week: Three players at the U-13/14 level tallied four goals in their game last weekend. Orlando City’s Jonathan Brasiliano scored four goals in a seven-minute stretch during a victory against IMG Academy. The San Jose Earthquakes got two four-goal performances from Ivan Valencia and Kaya Fabbretti during their win against San Mateo County Star.
- Player of the Week: Lucas Del Rosario of Capital Area RailHawks Academy took player of the week honors following the weekend of Sept. 21-22. Del Rosario, playing up for the U-15/16 Academy team, scored a hat trick during a 5-1 victory against the Carolina Rapids. He also is a member of the U.S. Under-15 Boys’ National Team pool.
- Referee of the Week: Maggie Short, a 38-year-old Grade 5 referee from southern Ohio, was named Academy Referee of the Week for her work during a U-17/18 Academy match between the Crew Soccer Academy and Chicago Fire over the Sept. 21-22 weekend. Short has worked 22 Development Academy matches, attended the 2011 Winter Showcase and also works MLS Reserve League, USL PRO, PDL and W-League.
For all Development Academy results, visit ussda.demosphere.com or click on the following links:
U.S. U-18s Head to Limoges, France: U.S. Under-18 Men’s National Team head coach Javier Perez named an 18-player roster for a tournament in Limoges, France, from Oct. 6-14. Fifteen players currently play for Development Academy teams. The USA opens play against France on Oct. 9, followed by the Czech Republic (Oct. 11) and Poland (Oct. 13).
U.S. U-14 BNT Holds First Training Camp of 2013-14 Cycle: U.S. Under-14 Boys’ National Team head coach and Academy Director of Scouting Tony Lepore called up 48 players for the first U-14 BNT training camp of the 2013-14 cycle that runs Sept. 28 to Oct. 6 at the U.S. Soccer National Training Center in Carson, Calif. Among this group, 33 players have ties to the Development Academy.
- Video: Opportunity Knocks: D.C. United’s Jose Carranza
- Video: Opportunity Knocks: Georgia United’s Juan Pablo Torres
- Video: Opportunity Knocks: New York Red Bulls’ Tyler Adams
- Video: U.S. Soccer Development Academy Launches U-13/14 Division
- U-20 MNT: Hispanic Heritage Month – Tab Ramos
- U-14 BNT: Tony Lepore Q & A: Developing Youth Players
- The YNT Blog
Quotable: “It’s been a lot of ups and downs this season. It’s been a very emotional year for all of us. We were underdogs. Nobody expected us to win this game, but we just came in and won it at RSL – a difficult place to play, and a great team that possibly plays the best football in the league.” – Former D.C. United Academy goalkeeper Bill Hamid on the U.S. Open Cup crown and a tumultuous season
UPCOMING ACADEMY SCHEDULE:
- 2013-14 Academy Schedule
- Development Academy Regular Season: The fifth weekend of the 2013-14 Academy season features 135 games across the three age groups.
- Development Academy Winter Showcase: Dec. 11-15 at Lakewood Ranch, Fla., for U-15/16 and U-17/18 Academy teams. The U-15/16 matches take place on Dec. 12, 13 and 15, and the U-17/18 games are Dec. 11, 12 and 14.
- mlssoccer.com: D.C. United’s Bill Hamid Basks in Unlikely Trophy
- mlssoccer.com: Colorado Rapids Trusting Youth in Playoff Push
- The Columbian: Future Soccer Players Getting Schooled by Portland Timbers
- The Oregonian: Darlington Nagbe Enjoys Breakout Season
- Top Drawer Soccer: MLS Academy Alumni Weekly College Roundup
- Top Drawer Soccer: Development Academy Recap
- chssoccer.net: South Carolina United Battery Academy Goes 2-1-1 over Weekend