Chevrolet & U.S. Soccer
News Jan 15, 2000
CHICAGO (Saturday, January 15, 2000) -
- Contract Extension. The contract between Chevrolet and U.S. Soccer has been extended for five years (2000 - 2004).
- Awards. U.S. Soccer's Chevrolet Athletes of the Year, two youth and two national team (male and female) win trophies, and the senior players win a Chevrolet vehicle. The awards are determined by votes from media and U.S. Soccer representatives. This year Chevrolet will also award a "Man of the Match" and "Woman of the Match" during every televised U.S. National Team game. Chevrolet will donate $1,000 to the U.S. Soccer Foundation in the players' names.
- History. Chevrolet began a three-year sponsorship of U.S. Soccer, the U.S. Youth Soccer Association and state soccer associations in 1997.
- Women's World Cup. Chevrolet's sponsorship has included exclusive automotive sponsorship of the 1999 Women's World Cup on ABC and ESPN.
- National Team Games. Chevrolet also sponsors the U.S. Soccer Federation men's and women's national team games.
- Brand Efforts. Chevrolet affiliates its Malibu, Venture, Cavalier, Impala, Astro and Lumina brands with various sponsorship activities and promotions to appeal to families involved in soccer. The purpose of the activities is to further a relationship with American families as they involve themselves in the number-one participation sport in the world.
- Festival Tour. The Chevrolet Soccer Festival Tour is an interactive on-site marketing event that includes vehicle displays, and travels to various National Team, and U.S. Youth Soccer Association events as well as Chevrolet dealer events. It includes a virtual reality game that allows participants to test their kicking ability versus a computer animated, virtual goalie and a speed radar challenge that measures the speed of a kicked ball.