US SoccerUS Soccer

U.S. Under-17s Fall to University of South Florida, 3-1

Tampa, Fla. (March 20, 2002) -The U.S. Under-17 Men’s National Team fell 3-1 to the University of South Florida on USF’s campus in Tampa, Fla.  The match was the U.S. Team’s final match before departing for the 30th Mondial Minimes Montaigu Vendee in Montaigue, France. 

Drew Harrison scored the USA’s only goal, with forward Freddy Adu recording the assist.  The goal was Harrison’s third of 2002.  Pushing for an equalizer in the final 20 minutes of the match, the U.S. gave up another goal in the 78th minute that sealed the team’s fate.

The U.S. was outshot 6-4, with U.S. goalkeeper Adam Hahn making two saves.  John Ellinger's U.S. squad did manage to draw four corners, without giving one up.

The U.S. opens play in Montaigue, France, on March 26 against Portugal, and then faces Tunisia the following day.  Placement matches take place on March 30 and April 1. 


- U.S. Under-17 Men’s National Team Game Report -


Participants:    U.S. Under-17 Men’s National Team vs University of South Florida

Competition:   Friendly

Location:        University of South Florida – Tampa, Fla.

Date:             March 20, 2002


Scoring Summary: 

             1st   /   2nd   /   Final

USA        0   /   1   /   1

USF        2   /   1   /   3                     


USF – #7                           25th minute.

USF – #7                           41.

USA – Drew Harrison (Freddy Adu)  69.

USF – #15 (#18)                78.



USA:  18-Adam Hahn; 11-Olatomiwa Ogunsola, 14-Brandon Owens, 10-Brandon McDonald (13-Eric Vogl, 46), 6-Drew Harrison; 4-Eddie Gaven, 5-Mike Harrington, 2-Guillermo Gonzalez, 8-John DiRaimondo, 15-Freddy Adu, 9-Corey Ashe.


USF: n/a


Statistical Summary:

                     USA   /   USF

Shots                 4   /   6

Saves                2   /   2                     

Corner Kicks     4   /   0

Fouls                 6   /   14                   

Offsides             0  /   1


Misconduct Summary:

USF – #7 (caution)                      20th minute.



Referee: n/a