|To:||National Referees, National Referee Candidates|
|CC:||State Association Presidents, State Referee Administrators, Chair, State Referee Committee|
|From:||Julie Ilacqua, Managing Director of Referee Programs|
|RE:||Annual U. S. Soccer Federation National Referee Certification/Recertification and Professional League Referee Training Seminar|
|Session 1:||Thursday, January 24 – Sunday, January 27, 2008|
|Session 2:||Thursday, February 7- Sunday, February 10, 2008
(MLS Referees, MLS Traveling ARs, USL 1 Referees, FIFA Women Referees*Complete List Attached)
3635 Fashion Way
Torrance, CA 90503
T: (310) 316-3636
Fax: (310) 543-6076
For: 2008 Certification/Recertification of National Referees
Instructions for Applying
Due by December 7, 2007
- The Application Form (National Camp Application Composite). Use your computer to fill out the application form, print it and mail it to your SRA along with the game experience record and check for the application fee. You may be able to send the application to your SRA via e-mail, but only if you have a full version of Adobe Acrobat (not just the reader) or a similar application. Payment for e-mail applications must be with a credit card.
Remember: The SRA can only send the paperwork to our office via e-mail if he or she has a compatible application, so be sure to allow plenty of time so that the SRA can get it to our office before the deadline.
- Game Experience Sheet. You can use the standard Game Experience Sheet that is attached or you can submit any spread sheet or list of games as long as all the needed information is attached.
- Size and Information Form. If you are not driving, a credit card number must be supplied. Credit cards will be charged after application is accepted.
- Full fee of $275 must be enclosed with your application. Make checks out to U.S. Soccer Federation.
- Release of Liability for the Home Depot Center.
- Medical Release. Obtain a note from your doctor giving you permission to participate in the physical fitness test. This year, the release must be on the doctor’s letterhead or prescription pad sheet. Your application not be approved without the medical release, so make your appointment today!
- U.S. Soccer Federation Anti-Gambling Pledge. Please read, fill in your name on the first line and sign – must be enclosed with your application.
Your application form must be signed by the SRA. Forms that come to our office without the requested information or signatures will be returned. There is a $100 fine for returned applications.
Pre-requisites for Certification for National Referees:
- Must be a currently registered U. S. Soccer Federation National Referee or a designated National Candidate.
- National Referee Candidates must list on application: five (5) field assessments - three (3) as a referee (two must be on a professional match or other approved game) and two (2) as an Assistant Referee (one must be on a professional league match or other approved game) on games played between December 1, 2006 and November 30, 2007. (See annual renewal requirements for a description of acceptable games.) Assessors must be National Assessors. The acceptable minimum grade for assessment is 80. No more than one assessment done on any given day will be counted. No more than one assessment as a referee and one as an AR may be done by the same National Assessor.
Returning National Referees must list on application: three (3) field assessments - two (2) as a referee (one must be on a professional match or other approved game) and one (1) as an Assistant Referee (on a professional league match or other approved game) on games played between December 1, 2006 and November 30, 2007. (See annual renewal requirements for a description of acceptable games.) Assessors must be National Assessors. The acceptable minimum grade for assessment is 80. No more than one assessment done on any given day will be counted. No more than one assessment as a referee and one as an AR may be done by the same National Assessor.
- Submit the completed application form, the $275.00 (see Number 10, page 2) non-refundable fee, the game experience record, medical release form, medical release form, Home Depot Waiver/Release and the signed Anti-Gambling statement to the U. S. Soccer Federation National Referee Program no later than December 7, 2007. Please schedule your medical exams now.
- LATE APPLICATIONS WILL BE RETURNED and applications that do not have all the required attachments will not be processed. Applications that are returned for any reason will be assessed a $100 administrative fine, which must be submitted with the application when it is returned (See "Instructions For Applying" in this packet).
- You will be able to determine what camp you are scheduled to attend by checking the attached list. This list will be posted at ussoccer.com (click to Referee Programs). To find out if your application has been received and accepted, check this posted list. The list will be located on the news and announcement page and will be updated frequently. New Haven will not complete your ticketing until your name shows as accepted on that list. National Referees and National Referee Candidates must register on-line by December 15, 2007.
- The U. S. Soccer Federation National Referee Program will provide transportation and lodging for all applicants approved for participation. Airline reservations must be made through New Haven Travel (e-mail Martina or Melissa @newhaventravel.com). Please make travel arrangements as soon as your paperwork has been marked completed. Breakfast will be provided on Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Lunch will be served on Friday and Saturday. Dinner will be provided on Friday night. Light refreshments will be served on Thursday evening, before the program begins.
- The United States Soccer Federation will provide air transportation, with the following exceptions: Attendees will be responsible to pay any charges levied for ticket changes or cancellations. All unsuccessful applicants will be required to reimburse the Federation for transportation costs. Your credit card will be charged for the amount of your airfare if, for any reason (including medical notes for not participating in the fitness test), you do not meet announced criteria at this session.
- Participants must attend the camp and must be present for the entire period specified. Late arrivals or early departures will automatically disqualify the participant. All candidates must arrive on Thursday, before 5:00 PM. Dismissal will be around Noon on Sunday, so plan your departure accordingly, leaving ample time for security checks at the airport.
- Any candidate arriving earlier than Thursday or departing after Sunday will be responsible for his or her lodging and all additional expenses incurred for those days, including transportation back to the airport for your return home.
- The United States Soccer Federation National Referee written test and the FIFA/USSF Physical Fitness Test will be administered during the scheduled session.
- The passing grade on the written exam is 80%. It is strongly recommended that you study the Laws of the Game, the Advice to Referees on the Laws of the Game and the Guide to Procedures for Referees, Assistant Referees and Fourth Officials. Also, study all memos and position papers distributed by the National Referee Development Program. All materials are available on the web for downloading and/or purchase.
- A National Composite book will be provided to new referees and to current nationals who need a new book, send two passport size photos (please put your name on the back of each photo).
- Medical Release – Each referee needs a note from a physician permitting participation in the Physical Fitness Exam. Please note: The release must be on medical letterhead or on prescription pad sheet. All medical releases must be in our office by the deadline. Schedule your physicals now. If you have a doctor’s note excusing you from the fitness test, you must provide a release saying you are cleared to take the fitness test before you can take it at a regional/pro clinic.
- A charge of $275 will be imposed on each participant to help cover the cost of airfare, lodging, meals, etc. This fee is non-refundable. If you are forced to drop out of the event, contact Julie Ilacqua or Carol McGuire immediately so that rooms can be adjusted. Air tickets are non-refundable and no-shows will be invoiced for their airfare.