Across the Academy - Feb. 3, 2011
ACROSS THE ACADEMY
A Weekly Summary of Development Academy News – Feb. 3, 2011
Divisional Matchups Gain Steam: Though there are only 18 matches on tap this weekend, North Meck SC will look to continue their good form of late when they host CASL Chelsea FC Academy on Saturday, Feb. 5. Seattle Sounders FC will take on Real Salt Lake AZ in Seattle on Sunday, Feb. 6, in a battle of MLS Academy clubs.
Richmond Derby Set for New Chapter: On Saturday, Feb. 5, the Richmond Kickers and Richmond Strikers will meet for the second time this season at Striker Park. The two teams last met on Oct. 23, with the U-15/16 age group drawing 0-0 and the Kickers taking a 2-1 win at the U-17/18 age group.
U-18 MNT Preparing for Camp: U.S. U-18 Men’s National Team head coach Mike Matkovich is finalizing his roster for a training camp set for Feb. 12-20 in Casa Grande, Ariz. Though the details are not set, the team will likely include a large percentage of players who participate in the Development Academy. During the eight-day camp, the U.S. will scrimmage Major League Soccer teams who are also at Casa Grande for preseason preparation.
LAST WEEK’S HIGHLIGHTS:
- Home teams posted 15 wins during the course of the weekend, with nine losses and four ties.
- Though a majority of the matches featured multiple goals and several teams scored five goals in their game, only U-15/16 South Carolina United FC’s James Carlin recorded a hat trick. His three goals helped his team in the 4-2 win against Richmond Strikers.
- North Meck SC came away with four wins on the weekend across both age groups while playing host to Richmond Kickers and Virginia Rush AJ Auxerre.
- Charlotte Soccer Academy joined North Meck SC as the only two teams to win all four matches, posting two victories in each age group.
- Seattle Sounders FC earned three wins on the weekend, with the U-15/16 team earning two victories and the U-17/18 team winning once and tying once.
- U-15/16 Seattle Sounders FC kicked off the weekend with a 3-1 win against Cosmos Academy West on Saturday, Jan. 29, following it up with a 2-0 win against Real So Cal the next day to increase the team’s record to 9-2-3.
WEEK EIGHT PEAK PERFORMERS
U-15/16 Performer of the Week: Roberto Escudero – Midfielder, Pateadores
Pateadores only played one game during the weekend, a 1-0 win against Nomads SC, during which Escudero played an integral role. The midfielder, born in 1994, started and played the entire match, assisting on the lone goal.
U-17/18 Performer of the Week: Jamael Cox – Midfielder, Seattle Sounders FC
Cox started both games for his team this weekend, in which the team went 1-0-1. The midfielder born in 1992 participated on the 92-93 Development Academy Select Team at the 2010 Winter Showcase.
Referee of the Week: José Pacheco
Pacheco, a Grade 5 referee from Southern California, earned high marks on Saturday, Jan. 29, during the game between Pateadores’ and Nomads SC U-15/16. Pacheco has officiated 32 Academy matches during the past two years and attended the 2010 Winter Showcase.
ACADEMY ALUMNI NEWS AND NOTES
Hot Joins New York Red Bulls: The Red Bulls signed Academy product Sacir Hot to a Homegrown Player contract. Hot becomes the club’s fourth Homegrown player and the second in as many weeks after Matt Kassel joined the first team last week. Hot is a member of the U.S. U-20 Men’s National Team pool, having taken part in the team’s most recent training camp in Ft. Lauderdale in January.
McBean Signs with LA Galaxy: Jack McBean, currently part of the U.S. U-17 Residency Program, signed a Homegrown Player contract with the Los Angeles Galaxy. The striker was in Montego Bay training with the U.S. team when the contract was finalized, and he played in both friendlies against Jamaica.
ACADEMY IN THE NEWS:
- It’s easy to forget that the Sounders Academy is in its first season. Goal.com takes a look at the keys to its early success – Goal.com
- FCDallas.com checked in with FC Dallas Juniors alum Moises Hernandez as he goes through his first preseason with the first team – FCDallas.com
- MLSsoccer.com’s Travis Clark on the success of the FC Dallas Academy program – MLSsoccer.com
- Clark also looks back at the number of pro players coming out of the Derby County Wolves program – MLSsoccer.com
- Sacir Hot signs with the Red Bulls first team – NewYorkRedBulls.com
- Across the country, Jack McBean moves from the LA Galaxy Academy to the first team – LAGalaxy.com
- The Houston Dynamo Academy scrimmaged the first team last weekend – MLSsoccer.com