Across the Academy - Dec. 20
Academy Takes Holiday Break: The Development Academy season will be on a short hiatus for the holiday break and will resume play with four matches on Jan. 12, 2013. Many Academy teams will return to the field on Jan. 19, with 24 games currently on the docket.
LAST WEEK’S HIGHLIGHTS:
- The Portland Timbers U-17/18 team’s Timur Zhividze and James Nosack each scored three goals for a 6-3 victory against the host Vancouver Whitecaps on Sunday. Portland (5-6-2 in the Northwest Division) overcame a 2-0 deficit with five consecutive goals in a 30-minute stretch. Zhividze scored in the 45th, 50th and 54th minutes and Nosack scored three of the game’s next four tallies.
- Strikers FC swept its set against Pateadores last weekend. The U-17/18 team moved into fourth place in the Southwest Division as it rallied from a 2-1 deficit against Pateadores. Paul Salcedo Borrego scored two goals, including the game-winner in the 70th minute for a 3-2 victory. Strikers FC’s U-15/16 team, led by a 15th-minute goal from Robert Knights, posted a 1-0 win against Pateadores.
- Solar Chelsea SC’s U-15/16 squad won for the fourth straight time, topping the Houston Dynamo 2-1 to improve to 10-2-1 at the top of the Frontier Division standings. Nathanael Rennhack and Blake Stricker provided the scoring for Solar Chelsea SC. The Houston Dynamo U-17/18s, who are second in the division at 6-2-3, shut out Solar Chelsea SC 2-0 with goals from Gian Carlo Rojas and Carlos Ibarra.
- The NJSA 04 U-15/16 team (6-4-2) moved into the upper half of the Atlantic Division standings with a 2-0 victory against the Virginia Rush and a 3-1 win against the Richmond Kickers. Joshua Goldstern had three goals over the two games, including both tallies against the Virginia Rush.
- McLean Youth Soccer’s William Metzler scored three goals and Iain Holmes added two as the U-15/16 team topped the Richmond Kickers 7-0. The offensive performance was a welcome sight for McLean, which had not scored a goal in its previous two matches.
Week 12 Player of the Week: Jordan Allen, Midfielder, Real Salt Lake AZ
Jordan Allen started and logged 80 minutes as Real Salt Lake AZ’s U-17/18 team defeated De Anza Force 4-2 on Saturday, Dec. 15. Allen, who was coming back from an injury with the U.S. U-18 Men’s National Team in the Netherlands in September, also played in the second half of RSL’s 3-2 loss to Santa Cruz Breakers Academy on Sunday. Allen was a two-time Player of the Week during the 2011-12 season.
Referee of the Week: Cody Gaines
Cody Gaines earns Referee of the Week honors for his performance during this past weekend’s U-15/16 match between Chivas USA and Nomads SC. Gaines is a 21-year-old Grade 5 official from Southern California and has worked 21 games in the Academy over the past two years. Gaines also has worked Youth National Team and W-League matches and attended the 2011 Winter Showcase.
OTHER NEWS AND NOTES:
Orlando City Enjoying First Year in Academy: ussoccer.com caught up with several members of 2012-13 Academy newcomer Orlando City at the 2012 Development Academy Winter Showcase in Lakewood Ranch, Fla. Watch game footage and interviews with U-17/18 head coach Nate Omodt, Orlando City Senior Boys Academy Director Paul Shaw and U-17/18 midfielder Ryan Sandidge.
ACADEMY IN THE NEWS:
- Academy U-17/18 Standouts – Fall 2012 – Top Drawer Soccer
- Dream Comes True for LA Galaxy’s Sorto (13 for ’13) – Soccer America
- Amando Moreno: The Tip of the Iceberg (13 for ’13) – Soccer America
- Columbus Crew’s Trapp Finds Inspiration to make MLS Jump – mlssoccer.com
- LA Galaxy Signs Forward Zardes as Homegrown – mlssoccer.com
- Toronto FC Acquires Agbossoumonde Via Weighted Lottery – mlssoccer.com
- Portland Timbers Academy splits road games against Whitecaps – portlandtimbers.com
2012-13 DEVELOPMENT ACADEMY SEASON:
- 2012 Academy Winter Showcase: 10-Month Season, Part I | 10-Month Season, Part II: New Teams | Orlando City Feature | Showcase Wrap-Up
- 2012-13 Academy Outlook: Overview | 10-Month Season | Improvement in Everyday Environment
- U-13/14 Starts in Fall of 2013: Release | Tony Lepore Q & A | U-13/14 Program