US SoccerUS Soccer

Rooney's Golden Goal Lifts Fusion to 3-2 Win Over D.C. in Open Cup Quarterfinal

WASHINGTON, D.C. (Wednesday, August 9, 2000) - Jim Rooney's spectacular golden goal from 32 yards out in the 22nd minute of overtime lifted the Miami Fusion to a 3-2 win over D.C. United in a U.S. Open Cup quarterfinal match at RFK Stadium. With the victory, the Fusion advances to play the MetroStars in the Open Cup semifinals slated for August 23. The Metros recorded a win tonight over the Columbus Crew on penalty kicks (7-6) after the teams tied at 1-1.

With both teams fatigued from 112 minutes of play in a physical battle that featured a combined 64 fouls, the Fusion were awarded a free kick after United defender Carey Talley was cautioned for a foul tackle on Rooney. Fusion forward Diego Serna tapped a short pass and Rooney blasted the shot to the upper right corner past United goalkeeper Tom Presthus. Fusion head coach Ray Hudson celebrated by chasing down Rooney down to the United side of the field and lifting up his captain.

The Fusion grabbed the early lead thanks to an own goal in the fifth minute by United defender Eddie Pope. Fusion midfielder Henry Gutierrez gathered a cross from Tim Sahaydak on the right side of the 18-yard box and fired a shot that rebounded off the right post and careened off Tom Presthus to the middle of the box. In an attempt to clear it over the goal, Pope put it into the back of his own net.

D.C. nearly evened the game five minutes later when midfielder Marco Etcheverry sent a long blast from just past midfield that was reminiscent of the 1999 MasterCard MLS Goal of the Year he scored against the Fusion. Rookie goalkeeper Nick Rimando recovered, however, to make a lunging save and push the ball over the cross bar.

Persistent pressure from the United offense finally paid off in the 42nd minute when a corner kick from Etcheverry found its way to forward Jaime Moreno just inside the top of the 18-yard box after touches from Carlos Llamosa and Raul Diaz Arce. Moreno's shot slipped past Rimando to tie the score.

The Fusion responded just one minute later as Serna found the back of the net after receiving a long pass from Rooney. Serna's shot from the right side of the 18-yard box beat Presthus to the near post. The Colombian has scored in all three Open Cup games this year. Serna had a chance to add another tally in the 58th minute, but his one-on-one breakaway was snuffed out by Presthus.

Etcheverry appeared to have the equalizer for United one minute later, but his chip over a charging Rimando was cleared off the line by Sahaydak. Moreno then got his second goal of the night on a penalty kick in the 65th minute, beating Rimando to the right side. The penalty kick was awarded after Fusion defender Jay Heaps made contact with United forward A.J. Wood as both players rose for a header in the box. Both teams had chances for the win in the closing minutes of regulation. Serna's close range shot in the 82nd minute was saved by a sprawling Presthus and United's Ben Olsen just missed a header wide right in the 84th minute.


Participants:D.C. United (MLS) vs. Miami Fusion (MLS)
Competition:2000 Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup Quarterfinal
Venue:RFK Stadium (Washington, D.C.)
Date:August 9, 2000

Scoring Summary:1st2ndOT1OT2Final

Fusion - Pope (own goal), 5,
United - Moreno, (Diaz Arce), 42,
Fusion - Serna, (Rooney), 43,
United - Moreno, (penalty kick), 65,
Fusion - Rooney, (Serna), 112.

FUSION - GK-#18 Nick Rimando, D-#4 Tim Sahaydak, D-#15 Tyrone Marshall, D-#25 Pablo Mastroeni (F-#10 Welton 80), D-#6 Jay Heaps, M-#23 Jeff Bilyk, M-#14 Jim Rooney (C), M-#20 Henry Gutierrez, M-#7 Brian Kamler, F-#17 Diego Serna, F-#10 Andy Williams (F-#9 Roy Lassiter 73)

UNITED - GK-#22 Tom Presthus, D-#3 Carey Talley, D-#18 Carlos Llamosa, D-#23 Eddie Pope (D-#5 Geoff Aunger 69), D-#31 Eric Denton, M-#16 Richie Williams, M-#14 Ben Olsen (M-#17 Chris Albright 104), M-#30 Bobby Convey, M-#10 Marco Etcheverry (C), F-#9 Jaime Moreno, F-#21 Raul Diaz Arce (F-#7 A.J. Wood 46).