January Referees of the Week: 2012-13 Development Academy Season
Throughout the U.S. Soccer Development Academy season, referees are recognized on a weekly basis for their outstanding performance officiating U-15/16 and U-17/18 matches.
The Development Academy schedule returned in full swing January following the holiday season, with Michael Zapata and Stefan McHardy earning referee of the week honors during the month:
Week 14: Stefan McHardy earned Referee of the Week honors for his performance during a U-17/18 match between Kendall SC and North Meck SC. The 30-year-old Florida-based referee, following that game, had worked in his 18th Development Academy game. He had previously participated at the 2013 Winter Showcase, worked a game at the MLS Combine and is a national candidate for 2013. McHardy has also worked matches for Youth National Teams, PDL, USL PRO, NASL and the Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup.
Week 13: Michael Zapata garnered Referee of the Week recognition following his performance at the U-17/18 match between the Vancouver Whitecaps and San Juan Soccer Club. Zapata, a 2013 national candidate referee based in Northern California, had worked in his 25th Academy match over the past two seasons. He attended the 2012 Academy Playoffs and 2012 Winter Showcase. Zapata has also worked MLS Reserve League, Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup and PDL games.
2012-13 Development Academy Referees of the Week
- Week 14 (weekend of Jan. 26-27): Stefan McHardy (Florida)
- Week 13 (weekend of Jan. 19-20): Michael Zapata (California – North)
- Week 12 (weekend of Dec. 15-16): Cody Gaines (California – South)
- Week 11 (weekend of Nov. 17-18): Turan Ozdemir (California – North)
- Week 10 (weekend of Nov. 10-11): Nima Saghafi (Oklahoma)
- Week 9 (weekend of Nov. 3-4): Vince Apple-Chiarella (California – North)
- Week 8 (weekend of Oct. 27-28): Eric Tattersall (Pennsylvania – West)
- Week 7 (weekend of Oct. 20-21): Esteban Rosano (Florida)
- Week 6 (weekend of Oct. 13-14): Sergio Gonzalez (Maryland)
- Week 5 (weekend of Oct. 6-7): Oscar Rivas (Oregon)
- Week 4 (weekend of Sept. 27-28): Joshua Brooks (Kentucky)
- Week 3 (weekend of Sept. 22-23): Shane Danbeli (California – South)
- Week 2 (weekend of Sept. 15-16): Jordan Shaw (North Carolina)
- Week 1 (weekend of Sept. 8-9): Mohammad Samadpour (Maryland)