Across the Academy - March 28
U-17 MNT, U-15 BNT Wrap Up Weeklong Camp: The U.S. U-17 Men’s National Team and U-15 Boys’ National Team have spent the past week at The Home Depot Center in Carson, Calif. U.S. Soccer Technical Advisors Brian Johnson and Carson Porter called in 24 players for the U-17 ’97s and U-15 BNT head coach and Development Academy Director of Scouting Tony Lepore called in 32 players for the U-15 side. On Wednesday, the U-17 MNT and U-15 BNT played a pair of friendlies at The Home Depot Center, with the U-17s posting 2-1 and 4-2 victories. (The YNT Blog)
Light Academy Schedule on Docket this Weekend: With March 31 being Easter Sunday, the Development Academy schedule will be on the light side this weekend with only eight total games scheduled for Saturday, March 30. There are a couple of intriguing matchups with Seattle Sounders FC facing Vancouver Whitecaps FC and Baltimore Bays Chelsea taking on NJSA 04.
LAST WEEK’S HIGHLIGHTS:
- In the only West Conference matchups of the weekend, the San Diego Surf U-15/16 team shut out Nomads SC 2-0 and the U-17/18 sides played to a scoreless draw. Anthony Wright scored both Surf goals in the U-15/16 matchup. It marked the third straight shutout victory and fourth straight clean sheet for the Surf (10-7-4).
- For the fourth time this season, Chicago Magic PSG U-15/16 netted at least four goals in a match. Andrija Novakovich scored three tallies and Renato Albuquerque added a goal as the Chicago Magic beat Vardar SC Freiburg 4-1. The matchup featured the top two offenses in the Mid-America Division as Vardar SC Freiburg (10-3-5) has scored 34 goals and Chicago Magic PSG (7-7-3) has 33.
- FC DELCO increased its presence in the upper half of the Atlantic Division standings as both the U-15/16 and U-17/18 teams posted 1-0 victories against NJSA 04. At the younger group, FC DELCO’s Doyle Tuvesson scored his 15th goal of the season in the 50th minute as the team improved to 10-4-2 on the season. The FC DELCO U-17/18s (8-6-2) won on the strength of a Benjamin Marks goal in the 76th minute.
Referee of the Week: Cesar Ibarra
Cesar Ibarra earns Referee of the Week honors for his performance during last week’s U-17/18 match between Sockers FC and the Crew Soccer Academy. Ibarra is a 27-year-old Grade 5 referee from Illinois who has worked 14 Academy matches over the past two years. He also works MLS Reserve League, Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup and PDL matches, as well as MLS scrimmages.
OTHER NEWS AND NOTES:
Agudelo Garners MLS Honors: For a second straight week, a former Development Academy player earned MLS Player of the Week. Former New York Red Bulls Academy forward Juan Agudelo was recognized for his goal and assist to lead Chivas USA to a 4-1 road win against the Chicago Fire. Also noteworthy, former Crew Soccer Academy player Ben Speas scored his first MLS goal to lead Columbus past D.C. United. (The YNT Blog)
YNT IN THE NEWS:
- Patience Paying off for RSL, U-20 MNT Midfielder Luis Gil – Top Drawer Soccer
- U.S. U-17 MNT Tops U-15 BNT at HDC Camp – Top Drawer Soccer
- Sonis Sends FC Dallas into U-17 Dallas Cup Quarterfinals – Top Drawer Soccer
- U.S. Dealt Killer U-20 World Cup Draw Alongside Spain, France – mlssoccer.com
ACADEMY IN THE NEWS:
- LA Galaxy Feels Good about Future with Villarreal, McBean Showings – mlssoccer.com
- D.C. United U-17/18 Academy Defeats Richmond Strikers 5-1 – dcunited.com
- FC Dallas U-17/18 Academy Wins 3 of 4 vs. Mexico Academy Sides – fcdallas.com
- Houston Dynamo U-17/18 Academy Advances Through Dallas Cup Quarterfinals – houstondynamo.com
- New England Revolution Academy Teams Sweep – revolutionsoccer.net
2012-13 DEVELOPMENT ACADEMY SEASON:
- 2012 Academy Winter Showcase: 10-Month Season, Part I | 10-Month Season, Part II: New Teams | Orlando City Feature | Showcase Wrap-Up
- 2012-13 Academy Outlook: Overview | 10-Month Season | Improvement in Everyday Environment
- U-13/14 Starts in Fall of 2013: Release | Tony Lepore Q & A | U-13/14 Program