Across The Academy - April 11
U.S. Under-17 Men’s National Team Battles Guatemala for First Place in Group C of CONCACAF Championship: The U.S. Under-17 Men’s National Team looks to clinch first place in Group C of the 2013 CONCACAF U-17 Championship when it faces Guatemala on Thursday, April 11, at Estadio Rommel Fernández in Panama City, Panama. The game kicks off at 6:30 p.m. ET and will be broadcast on FOX Soccer on a half-hour delay starting at 7 p.m. ET and live on Univision Deportes at 6:30 p.m. ET. Guatemala defeated Haiti 3-1 in group play on Tuesday, officially advancing the U.S. U-17s to the quarterfinals. Fans can follow the match live on ussoccer.com’s MatchTracker and via Twitter @ussoccer_ynt.
Academy Products Lead U-17 MNT to 3-0 Win Aginst Haiti to Open Group Play: A number of players with Development Academy ties starred in the U-17’s opening match win against Haiti. New York Red Bulls Academy Product Chris Lema tallied twice for the U.S. U-17 MNT while CSA Wolves Product Ahinga Selemani found the back of the net in the 86th minute. Goalkeeper Jeff Caldwell of North Carolina Fusion provided the clean sheet. WATCH: Postgame Reaction. READ: Postgame Quote Sheet.
U-17 Players Reaching High-Level Goals Through Residency and Academy: Like any of their predecessors who have worn the U.S. Soccer jersey, the players on the U.S. Under-17 Men’s National Team comprise a group with its own unique background. Each of those players has traveled on a different path, but all with the same goal: to reach the 2013 FIFA U-17 World Cup.
U.S. Soccer, Nike Host Youth Futsal Invitational Events: With an emphasis on developing the U-13/14 age level, U.S. Soccer, in partnership with Nike, is hosting a youth futsal event from April 19-24 at The Home Depot Center in Carson, Calif. If you are interested in viewing photos from the event, please download Scout, U.S. Soccer’s digital publication. It highlights youth players identified in our programs and we focused the first issue around last weekend’s futsal event in Philadelphia.
LAST WEEK’S HIGHLIGHTS:
- Nomads SC U-15/16 claimed an upset win against LA Galaxy U-15/16 by a score of 2-1. Michael Dingle and William Cruz tallied for Nomads in the first half hour and were able to hold on to pick up their first win since Dec. 4.
- Shattuck St. Mary’s U-17/18 earned a 4-0 win on the road against first place Indiana Fire Academy U-17/18. Shattuck St. Mary’s found the back of the net twice on both sides of halftime and have closed the gap with Indiana Fire to seven points in the Mid-America Division.
- In East Conference action New York Red Bulls U-15/16 maintained its top form with a 4-0 win against FC Westchester U-15/16. Harrison Steadman led the way tallying in both halves to go with goals from Alexander Tejera and Anthony Viteri. New York Red Bulls have now won six consecutive games and haven’t lost since Dec. 2.
Referee of the Week: J.T. Alukonis
J.T. Alukonis receives Referee of the Week honors in Week 28 for his officiating performance in the match between Mclean Youth Soccer U-17/18 and FC DELCO U-17/18. Alukonis is a 29-year-old national referee from D.C./Virginia and has attended the 2008 and 2011 Winter Showcases. Alukonis has 30 Academy matches under his belt in addition to being active in the PDL, W-League and USL Pro Leagues.
ACADEMY IN THE NEWS:
- Internationals Academy Product Darlington Nagbe Named Man of the Match and to MLS Team of the Week for Week Six– mlssoccer.com
- 2008 DA Player of the Year Soony Saad Shows Off Potential for Sporting Kansas City – kansascity.com
- Gale Agbossoumonde Makes MLS Debut for Toronto FC– mlssoccer.com
- Academy products Dillon Powers, DeAndre Yedlin and Carlos Alvarez atop MLS’ Week Six Rookie Rankings – mlssoccer.com
- Academy Teams Fight for Playoff Position in Standings – Top Drawer Soccer
- Alexander Gogic Signs with EPL – Top Drawer Soccer
2012-13 DEVELOPMENT ACADEMY SEASON:
- 2012 Academy Winter Showcase: 10-Month Season, Part I | 10-Month Season, Part II: New Teams | Orlando City Feature | Showcase Wrap-Up
- 2012-13 Academy Outlook: Overview | 10-Month Season | Improvement in Everyday Environment
- U-13/14 Starts in Fall of 2013: Release | Tony Lepore Q & A | U-13/14 Program
- 2012-13 Academy Schedules | 2012-13 Academy Standings