ussoccerfan.com member, (Not a member? Join today!)
The “Best of U.S. Soccer” awards are back for 2006! The annual series, presented by Soccer America, the No. 1 soccer magazine in the United States, is in its fifth year and once again you are being invited to take part in the nomination process.
The "Best of..." awards, as they’re known on the street, have become a popular end-of-the-year tradition for U.S. Soccer fans and we need your help in paring down the options and coming up with a list of finalists.
The final round of voting for all categories in the 2006 "Best of U.S. Soccer" awards will begin on Nov. 28, but over the next few weeks you have a chance to nominate candidates you think should be eligible as a finalist for four of the 11 categories - "Best Soccer Bar," "Best Soccer Store," "Best all_access Video" and our most unique category, “Best U.S. Fan Photo from the World Cup,” where we’re asking you to send us your very own pictures as nominees.
To get in on the 2006 "Best of U.S. Soccer" nomination process all you need to do is reply to email@example.com with a list of your choices for the four awards and we’ll count ‘em up over the next three weeks.
Make sure to check back to ussoccer.com when we name the finalists for each of the four awards here, as well as all the other categories, including "Best Goal", "Best U.S. Atmosphere", “Best Look/Style” and even a “Best Kristine Lilly Goal” (trust us, she had a load of good ones this year), which will be announced in late November.
1. Best Soccer Bar -NOMINATE NOW!
This award goes to the best soccer-focused or soccer-friendly bar in the United States. A nominee for this award should be a place that provides the full-gamut of world soccer and doesn’t have an elitist bartender that thinks the EPL is the only league that matters. You go here not only because it opens its beer-swilling doors at 7 a.m. on a Saturday to catch Wayne Rooney, Samuel Eto’o or Hernan Crespo, but also because it plays every MLS game and turns the bar red, white and blue when the U.S. is playing anything from a friendly to a World Cup match.
2. Best Soccer Store - NOMINATE NOW!
This award honors the best all-around store to buy all things soccer, from the Nike Mercurial cleats for your Saturday league to that Abby Wambach national team jersey you wear to cheer on the U.S. Women from the stadium or couch.
3. Best all_access video - NOMINATE NOW!
This award goes to the best behind-the-scenes all_access video segment that was on ussoccer.com in 2006. Whether you liked it because it was intriguing, informative or just plain humorous, you've watched it multiple times or emailed the link to your soccer buddies. Some of the more obvious candidates for this year would include the list below but don’t hesitate to take a break from work and revisit all the videos from 2006 at ussoccer.com.
- “Beep Test” – One of the earliest videos in 2006, was probably one of the best as you got an in-depth look into one of the most grueling endurance tests an athlete can go through with the MNT boys as your guides.
- “Keller Castle” – Kasey Keller lives in a castle!? Who knew? Well, after we posted this video every media outlet in the world found out and probably reminded you about it a bit too often. In any case, you have to admit from the gargoyles to the basement pool, the Keller-led tour of his home was pretty cool.
- “U-20 WNT Ball Tricks Battle” – U.S. Under-20 Women’s National Team teammates Casey Nogueira and Tobin Heath try to out do each other in this juggling battle from Russia during the FIFA U-20 Women’s World Championship.
4. Best U.S. Fan Photo from the World Cup - NOMINATE NOW!
Were you at the World Cup? Did you take photos? Well, we’re looking for the coolest, funniest or most amazing photos you took during the World Cup that showcase what became the coming out party for the U.S. fan on soccer’s largest stage (Fan Tribute | Photo Gallery). Heck, even if you weren’t in Germany, but took photos of your friends and family as they cheered on the U.S. from home or a bar, and you think it’s a great photo, send it in. All you have to do is attach your photo in the e-mail you send to us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll give it a thorough scrutiny and decide on the top 10 nominees*. Re-read that sentence. Send in your photo…no ‘s’. Pick out the best ONE photo because we don’t have time to look through your online gallery, even if it does include those interesting ones from the Reeperbahn. Wondering what that asterisk was for? Well, there are a few more stipulations that our legal department is requiring us to mention for a nomination contest like this, so read the small print before sending in your photo.
That’s all the direction you need to reply and nominate your favorites. Now send us an E-mail!
*United States Soccer Federation “Best of U.S. Fan Photo from the World Cup” Nominee Terms and Conditions
1. The submitted photos must be the photographer’s original work. By submitting a photo, photographer certifies that the images submitted have never been copyrighted or, if copyrighted, that the photographer is the copyright owner.
2. U.S. Soccer reserves the right to crop, edit, or otherwise alter the images submitted, and to display the images in all areas of the U.S. Soccer website.
3. Photographs containing nudity, obscenity, profanity, pornography, violence, and anything that is lewd or offensive in nature, or otherwise inappropriate images will not be considered. U.S. Soccer reserves the right at its sole discretion to reject and disqualify any images that it considers inappropriate.
4. U.S. Soccer may change, modify, add or remove terms of these Terms & Conditions at its sole discretion without notice to the user. Changes to the Terms & Conditions shall be effective immediately.