Across the Academy - June 14
U.S. U-15 BNT to Open Copa Mexico: The U.S. Under-15 Boysâ€™ National Team is headed to Mexico City for the Copa Mexico de Naciones tournament. Head coach Tony Leporeâ€™s group was drawn into Group B with Spain, Colombia and Costa Rica, and the team opens the group stage on Monday, June 18 against Spain. The U-15 BNT roster includes 14 Development Academy players.
U.S. U-17 MNT Names Copa Saprissa Roster: U.S. U-17 Menâ€™s National Team head coach Richie Williams named a 24-player roster for the Copa Saprissa Internacional tournament , preceded by a June 17-21 training camp in Fort Lauderdale, Fla. Nineteen of the 24 players are part of Development Academy clubs, with the New York Red Bulls Academy represented by four players.
Teams Make Last Push for Academy Playoffs: With the final weekend of the Development Academy regular season approaching, teams are making their last push toward clinching a spot in the 2011-12 Development Academy Playoffs. This weekend, the remaining 14 division spots (seven each for the U-15/16 and U-17/18 age groups) will be determined. ussoccer.com breaks down the scenarios on The YNT Blog.
Playoff Draws to be Announced Monday: The 2011-12 Development Academy Playoff draws are taking place Monday, with the schedule and pairings released starting at 10 a.m. ET. Fans can follow the draw in real time on U.S. Soccerâ€™s Youth Twitter feed @ussoccer_ynt.
LAST WEEKâ€™S HIGHLIGHTS:
- Vardar SC Freiburgâ€™s U-17/18 team clinched the second Great Lakes Division spot with two victories last weekend. Vardar SC Freiburg defeated Sockers FC 3-1 on Saturday, then shut out FC Milwaukee 3-0 on Sunday. Jeffery Adkins had two goals against Sockers FC and Tyler Jugon had a hat trick against Milwaukee.
- Three U-15/16 teams clinched Academy Playoff spots last weekend with the Chicago Fire and Crew Soccer Academy Wolves clinching the two Great Lakes Division spots and St. Louis Scott Gallagher Missouri clinching in the Frontier Division. SLSG Missouri wrapped up its regular season with a 3-0 victory against Sporting Kansas City on Sunday, with Austin Panchot scoring a goal in the first minute to open the scoring. Crew Soccer Academy Wolves had a 7-0 win against FC Milwaukee and a 2-1 victory against Sockers FC. The Chicago Fire played Chicago Magic PSG to a scoreless draw and has one remaining game on the schedule to try and move ahead of the Crew for the division title. Crew Soccer Academy and the Chicago Fire are tied in points with 36.
- The New York Red Bulls and Players Development Academy U-17/18 teams earned Academy Playoff berths out of the Liberty Division. The Red Bulls had a perfect weekend, shutting out Albertson SC 2-0 and FC Westchester 5-0. The New York Red Bullsâ€™ Brandon Allen moved into a share of the Development Academy goalscoring lead with three goals to bring his season total to 24, matching Caleb Clarke of the Vancouver Whitecaps FC U-17/18 team. PDA had a split weekend with a 3-0 win against FC Westchester but a 2-1 loss to Albertson SC.
- Baltimore Bays Chelseaâ€™s U-17/18 team won the Mid-Atlantic Division with two games left on the docket. Baltimore Bays Chelsea (9-0-1 in the division) defeated Match Fit Chelsea 2-0 and pulled off a 4-3 victory against NJSA 04. Michael Gamble had a goal in each game for Baltimore Bays Chelsea.
- The Southeast Divisionâ€™s South Carolina United Battery and Concorde Fire U-17/18 teams earned the two Southeast Division spots for the Academy Playoffs, with South Carolina United Battery claiming the division title after its 2-1 wins against Weston FC and Kendall SC. The Concorde Fire posted a 5-1 win against the Clearwater Chargers but dropped a 3-2 match to IMG Soccer Academy.
- The Clearwater Chargers U-15/16 team claimed the second Southeast Division postseason slot on the strength of a 4-0 win against Birmingham United and a 2-0 victory against the Concorde Fire. Six players each contributed a goal for Clearwater over the weekend.
Week 38 Player of the Week: Jesus Perez, Midfielder, Real Colorado
Jesus Perez scored two big goals as the Real Colorado U-15/16 team picked up two crucial victories to move into second place in the Frontier Division at 7-5-2. Perez started and played the full 80 minutes for Real Colorado and scored a game-tying goal during its 2-1 win against the Minnesota Thunder Academy on Saturday. Then Perez tallied the game-winning goal during a 2-0 victory against Shattuck-Saint Maryâ€™s Soccer Academy on Sunday. Perez has appeared in 21 games for the club, starting 17 times. He has five goals this season.
Referee of the Week: Danielle Brzezinski
Danielle Brzezinski earns Referee of the Week honors for her performance during this past weekendâ€™s U-17/18 match between McLean Youth Soccer and the North Carolina Fusion. The 28-year-old Grade 6 referee from the Washington, D.C., and Virginia area has worked nine Development Academy matches over the past two years. Brzezinski regularly works W-League matches in her area.
ACADEMY AND ALUMNI NEWS AND NOTES:
U.S. U-20 MNT Wraps South America Trip: The U.S. U-20 Menâ€™s National Team capped off its three-game, 12-day trip to South America with a 2-1 loss to Chile on Tuesday in Santiago. Danny Garcia (FC Dallas Academy) had the USAâ€™s lone penalty kick goal in second-half stoppage time. Garcia had two of the USAâ€™s three goals during the trip, posting a goal in the opening 4-2 loss to Uruguay on June 6. The U-20 MNTâ€™s trip included a rematch against Uruguay two days later, resulting in a 2-0 defeat.
White Loaned to Richmond Kickers for Weekend: Former D.C. United Academy player Ethan White has been loaned from D.C. United to USL PROâ€™s Richmond Kickers for the teamâ€™s weekend games against the Wilmington Hammerheads on Saturday and the Charlotte Eagles on Sunday.
ACADEMY IN THE NEWS:
- Q & A with Larry Sunderland on Fire Academyâ€™s 2011-12 Season â€“ Chicago-Fire.com
- Galaxy Academy Alum Villarreal Scores Twice in Reserve Win â€“ LAGalaxy.com
- Revolution Academy Closes Home Slate with 3-0-1 Record â€“ RevolutionSoccer.net
- Bays Find Intensity, Offense to Extend Streak â€“ ESPN RISE
- Development Academy Recap â€“ ESPN RISE
- Development Academy Recap: Penultimate Weekend â€“ Top Drawer Soccer
- New York Red Bulls U-17/18 Team Clinches Division Title â€“ Big Apple Soccer