ACROSS THE ACADEMY
A Weekly Summary of Development Academy News â€“ March 24, 2011
U.S. U-20 MNT Prepares to Kick Off 2011 CONCACAF Championship: The U.S. Under-20 Menâ€™s National Team will travel to Guatemala on Friday to prepare for Group B of the CONCACAF Under-20 Championship. The U.S. will face Suriname on March 29 at 8 p.m. ET and Panama on April 2 at 6 p.m. ET at Estadio Nacional Mateo Flores during group play. Both games will be televised on ESPN Deportes and ESPN3. At the 12-team regional event, the top two teams in each group will advance to the tournament quarterfinals, and the four quarterfinal winners will seal a berth to the FIFA U-20 World Cup, set for July 29-Aug. 20 across eight cities in Colombia. The U.S. will be attempting to qualify for an eighth-consecutive time, having qualified for 13 U-20 World Cups since the tournament began in 1977.
Spring Debut: Six teams will be playing their first match since the Winter Showcase. FC Milwaukee, Sockers FC, St. Louis Scott Gallagher Missouri, St. Louis Scott Gallagher Metro, LA Galaxy, and San Diego Surf will kick off the spring season this weekend.
Battle of North Carolina: There will be two in-state rivalry matches this weekend as CASL Chelsea faces North Meck and North Carolina Fusion matches up against Charlotte Soccer Academy.
LAST WEEKâ€™S HIGHLIGHTS:
- With two matches cancelled due to weather, 175 goals were scored in the 62 matches played, averaging 2.8 goals per game.Â
- Home teams and visiting teams split the spoils evenly, registering a 25-25-12 record.
- U-17/18 New York Red Bulls displayed their team strength, defeating Match Fit Chelsea 5-1 at home.Â
- Also in the U-17/18 age group, Baltimore Bays Chelsea earned victories as the visiting team, defeating the New England Revolution 2-1 at Gillette Stadium.
- U-15/16 Crew Soccer Academy moved up two places into the top spot in the Great Lakes Division, aided by a 2-1 win against Internationals.
- U-17/18 Crew Soccer Academy also defeated the second place Internationals 1-0, moving up three places in the Great Lakes Division.
- U-15/16 IMG Academy and CASL Chelsea FC Academy battled to a 1-1 draw on Saturday in North Carolina, with goals coming from Pablo Aguilar (IMG Academy) and Yanni Hachem (CASL Chelsea FC Academy). Both teams remain in third place in the Southeast and Atlantic divisions, respectively.
U-15/16 Performer of the Week: Ben Burdon â€“ Forward, Charlotte Soccer Academy
Burdon scored five goals during the weekend, tallying twice in Charlotte Soccer Academyâ€™s 5-0 victory against Kendall SC and posting a hat trick in the 4-2 win against Weston FC. Burdon has started all 15 games for CSA in 2010-11 and scored 14 goals, tying him at third best in the league so far this season.
U-17/18 Performer of the Week: Brandon Allen â€“ Forward, New York Red Bulls
Allen becomes the first player from New York Red Bulls to receive Performer of the Week honors this season, earning the distinction by way of a brace scored in the 5-1 win against Match Fit Chelsea and the 3-0 win against NJSA 04. Allen has started all 10 of the Red Bullsâ€™ matches so far in 2010-11, amassing 11 goals.
Referee of the Week: Abraham Huerta
Huerta earns Referee of the Week honors after receiving high marks and positive evaluations following the U-15/16 match between San Jose Earthquakes and Real So Cal. The 23-year-old hails from Northern California and is no stranger to the Academy, with 40 regular-season matches and three Showcases under his belt.
ACADEMY ALUMNI NEWS AND NOTES:
Will Bruin Becomes First Houston Rookie to Start on Opening Day: Former St. Louis Scott Gallagher Missouri player Will Bruin made his debut this week as the first rookie to start the opening match of the season in Houston Dynamo history. Bruin started in front of 19,385 fans as the Dynamo fell 1-0 to the Philadelphia Union.
Two Development Academy Alum Play in Reserve Game: The Columbus Crew took on D.C. United in the 2011 MLS Reserve League and the match featured two current Development Academy players, Iyassu Bekele and Cody Albrecht, and three alums, Bill Hamid and Andy Najar for D.C. United and Korey Veeder for the Columbus Crew.
ACADEMY IN THE NEWS:
- The New York Red Bulls Academy U-18 team trained with the Argentine National Team ahead of their friendly against the U.S. MNT this Saturday â€“ bigapplesoccer.comÂ
- Getting to Know U.S. U-20 MNT Player Kelyn Rowe â€“Â ussoccer.comÂ
- Cosmos Academy Update â€“ bigapplesoccer.comÂ
- FC Dallas Academy U-18s took on Real Madridâ€™s U-18 side in Madrid this week â€“ fcdallas.comÂ
- Concord Fire Defender Holden Fender commits to UCLA and Westside United and U.S. U-17 MNT forward Andrew Oliver verbally commits to Indiana University â€“ topdrawersoccer.comÂ
- Real So Cal Academy alumni Orr Barouch saw his first MLS action against FC Dallas Juniors Alumni Ruben Luna â€“ bigdsoccer.com