Across the Academy - Sept. 20
Unbeaten D.C. United, PA Classics Square Off: The 2012-13 season is young, but it is never too early to spotlight a matchup of unbeaten sides. The East Conference’s D.C. United hosts PA Classics this Saturday at Long Bridge Park in Arlington, Va., and the U-15/16 and U-17/18 teams for each club have opened the season with a 2-0-0 record. (2012-13 Academy schedule)
LAST WEEK’S HIGHLIGHTS:
- Real Salt Lake AZ swept first-year Academy member San Juan Soccer Club, which made its debut on Saturday. The Real Salt Lake AZ U-15/16 team posted a 2-1 victory while Jose Navarro and Riggs Lennon each scored two goals during the U-17/18 team’s 4-2 victory. San Juan Soccer Club’s Steven Wright had a strong effort for its U-17/18 side with two second-half goals.
- De Anza Force’s U-15/16 team improved to 2-0-0 to open the season as Matthew Powell scored his second goal of the season for a 1-0 win against Nomads SC on Sunday.
- The Houston Dynamo Academy teams both overcame second-half deficits and salvaged 2-2 draws at both age groups on Saturday against Solar Chelsea SC. Carlos Ibarra provided the late dramatics for the Dynamo U-17/18 team with a 90th-minute tally for his second goal of the match. Ibarra also had the match’s first goal in the 12th minute. For the U-15/16 team, Houston’s Lucio Martinez scored the game-tying goal in the 73rd minute.
- Lindo Mfeka’s hat trick carried the Indiana Fire Academy U-17/18 team to a season-opening 3-2 victory against the Crew Soccer Academy on Saturday. The match featured three lead changes over a 19-minute stretch. The Crew Soccer Academy U-15/16 team garnered a split against Indiana with a 4-3 win. William Bayemi’s 63rd-minute goal for a 4-1 lead proved to be the game-winner as Indiana Fire Academy scored two late goals to cut its deficit to one.
- Richard Prestridge found the back of the net two times as Academy newcomer Orlando City’s U-15/16 team debuted with a 3-0 victory against the North Carolina Fusion on Sunday. The Fusion was able to take away a weekend split against Orlando City on the strength of Donovan Japp’s dominant five-goal game for a 5-0 win between the U-17/18 teams.
- In an early-season local derby, the Richmond Kickers and Richmond Strikers split their weekend set. The Strikers U-15/16 team notched a win with goals from Brendan Moyers and Jesus Duran-Reyes. Finnlay Wyatt’s two goals paced the Strikers U-17/18 team to a 4-0 victory, and Vaughn Fowler and Tyler Slayton each added a goal in the second half.
Week 2 Player of the Week: Donovan Japp, Forward, North Carolina Fusion
Donovan Japp scored five goals in 65 minutes during the North Carolina Fusion U-17/18 team’s 5-0 victory against Development Academy newcomer Orlando City on Sunday. Japp posted all five goals in a 27-minute span from the 38th minute to the 64th minute. Last season for the North Carolina Fusion U-15/16 team, Japp tied for second on the squad with seven goals in 27 games.
Referee of the Week: Jordan Shaw
Jordan Shaw earns Referee of the Week honors for his performance during this past weekend’s U-17/18 match between North Meck SC and Weston FC. The 26-year-old Grade 5 referee from North Carolina has worked 23 Academy matches over the past two years and appeared at the 2012 Academy Playoffs and Showcase. Shaw also worked NASL, USL PRO, Premier Development League and W-League games.
OTHER ACADEMY NEWS AND NOTES:
McBean Tallies Third MLS Reserve League Goal: Current Academy players Jack McBean and Oscar Sorto of the LA Galaxy played a role in helping the Galaxy MLS Reserve League team defeat the Portland Timbers Reserves 4-0 on Sept. 10. Sorto assisted McBean’s 82nd-minute tally to cap off the team scoring. It marked McBean’s third goal in MLS Reserve League play, tying for the team lead.
ACADEMY IN THE NEWS:
- Houston Dynamo Academy Teams Draw in Opening Matches – houstondynamo.com
- Montreal Impact Academy Teams Make Home Debuts (video) – impactmontreal.com
- LA Galaxy Academy Squads Go Undefeated in Opening Weekend – lagalaxy.com
- Portland Timbers Academy Gets First Taste of Cascadia Rivalry – portlandtimbers.com
- New Rule to Benefit Sporting Kansas City Academy Players (video) – sportingkc.com
- Bill Hamid Stands Out in D.C. United Win Against Revolution – mlssoccer.com
- 24 Under 24: # 7: Montreal Impact’s Andrew Wenger (former PA Classics player) – mlssoccer.com
- Real Salt Lake AZ’s Desert Success – Top Drawer Soccer
- Academy Recap: Richmond Clubs Split Matches – Top Drawer Soccer
- Fisher Brothers Bond Through Soccer – Salisbury Post
2012-13 DEVELOPMENT ACADEMY SEASON:
- 2012-13 Academy Outlook: Overview | 10-Month Season | U-13/14 Program
- Conference Previews with Technical Advisors: West | Central | East
- U-13/14 Starts in Fall of 2013: Release | Tony Lepore Q & A