Across the Academy – Nov. 13, 2013
#OpportunityKnocks: San Jose Earthquakes’ JT Marcinkowski: San Jose Earthquakes Academy goalkeeper JT Marcinkowski chatted with ussoccer.com for its Opportunity Knocks series while representing the U.S. Under-18 Men’s National Team earlier this year. Marcinkwoski said the feedback and knowledge he has gained with the team is helping him set an example in applying the possession-style game to succeed at the Academy level in California.
Second Wave of U-13/14 Events Kicks Off This Weekend: The Academy’s U-13/14 division looks forward to its second weekend of events that gives an opportunity for teams to compete against unique opponents while being scouted and evaluated by U.S. Soccer Technical Advisors and the Scouting network. During the Nov. 16-17 weekend, 28 West-based Academy U-13/14 teams will compete at U.S. Soccer’s National Training Center in Carson, Calif. Another 44 teams among the East Conference-based U-13/14 field will play a two-game set at BB&T Soccer Park in Advance, N.C.
ACADEMY SOCIAL CONNECTION:
- @ChargersSC : U15 Chargers participate in walk out, serve as ball girls at US Women's National Team game in Orlando http://ow.ly/qIqEU - Chargers Soccer Club
- @LonestarSC : RT @pauldalglish:There is a special guest at @LonestarSC practice tonight. Clue. Youngest to score a hattrick in @mls pic.twitter.com/qdfAaH0QK1 – Lonestar Soccer Club
- @Met_Oval : Historic Met Oval, now a leading academy, appoints FA Cup giant killer as Tech Director. Great NY Story http://goo.gl/KiCwKn – Met Oval
Share your Academy news, comments, photos, links and more using the #OpportunityKnocks hashtag.
ACADEMY QUICK HITS (Weekend of Nov. 9-10):
- West Conference: The only undefeated team in the USSDA U-17/18 age group Real Salt Lake AZ (5-0-0) kept its perfect start to the season intact with a second consecutive 4-1 win. After falling behind to a strike from Arsenal FC’s Jonathan Mendiola, unanswered goals from U.S. U-17 international Corey Baird, Eric Carbajal, Jose Hernandez and Niki Jackson gave RSL AZ the win.
- Central Conference: The two remaining unbeaten teams in the Central Conference suffered their first losses of the season. In the Frontier Division, second -place FC Dallas U-17/18 (5-1-2) dropped a 3-1 decision to Sporting Kansas City U17-18 (5-1-3). In the Mid-America Division, Shattuck-St. Mary’s U-17/18 (9-1-1) fell to Crew Soccer Academy (5-5-1) 2-1 on Saturday before rebounding with a 2-1 win against Internationals U-17/18 on Sunday.
- East Conference: The New York Red Bulls Academy got a pair of wins from its U-15/16 and U-17/18 sides to stay atop the Northeast Division in both age groups. The U-15/16’s (6-0-0) continued their perfect start to the season with a 4-0 win against Albertson SC (6-3-0) in a showdown between the top two teams in the division. The NYRB U-17/18’s (5-0-1) also recorded a win over Albertson SC (5-1-3) in a match-up of top ranked teams.
Stat of the Week: There were three hat-tricks scored at the U-15/16 age level over the weekend. All three came on Saturday from De Anza Force’s George Korpontinos, FC Dallas’s Emanuel Perez and the North Carolina Fusion’s Faisal Almubaslat. They were all topped on Sunday when the LA Galaxy’s Ethan Zubak struk four goals in a 5-0 win against Real So Cal.
- Player of the Week: Philadelphia Union U-15/16 goalkeeper Cameron Keys was named Academy Player of the Week for his performance during the Nov. 2-3 weekend. Keys has played up with the Union U-17/18 team, and he manned the net during a hard fought 1-1 draw against East Conference-leading Players Development Academy on Nov. 2. PDA had won its first eight games up to that point.
- Referee of the Week: Jose Pacheco, a 33-year-old Grade 4 referee from southern California, earned Academy Referee of the Week for his work during a U-13/14 Academy match between Strikers FC and Real So Cal on Nov. 3. Pacheco worked the 2012 Academy Playoffs and Winter Showcase. Additionally, he worked this year’s postseason in the PDL, the 2012 Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup, MLS Reserve League and preseason games in 2012 and 2013, and U.S. Women’s National Team and U-20 WNT games in 2011 and 2012.
For all Development Academy results, visit ussda.demosphere.com or click on the following links:
Ramos Names U-20 MNT Roster for Training Camp in Italy: U.S. Under-20 Men’s National Team head coach Tab Ramos selected 22 players for an international training camp that kicked off Nov. 10 and runs through Nov. 20 in Verona, Italy. The roster features 19 players who have ties to the Development Academy.
- Video: Opportunity Knocks: San Jose Earthquakes’ JT Marcinkowski
- Video: Opportunity Knocks: Sporting Kansas City’s Erik Palmer-Brown
- Video: Opportunity Knocks: Bethesda-Olney’s Chase Gasper
- Video: Opportunity Knocks: Chicago Magic PSG’s Maduabuchi Obinwa
- Video: Opportunity Knocks: De Anza Force’s David Chavez
- Video: Opportunity Knocks: Capital Area RailHawks’ Lucas Del Rosario
- Video: Opportunity Knocks: San Jose Earthquakes’ Edwin Lara
- Video: Opportunity Knocks: D.C. United’s Jose Carranza
- Video: Opportunity Knocks: Georgia United’s Juan Pablo Torres
- Video: Opportunity Knocks: New York Red Bulls’ Tyler Adams
- Video: U.S. Soccer Development Academy Launches U-13/14 Division
- Feature: U.S. U-18 MNT’s Palmer-Brown Works His Way up Ranks at Sporting
- Feature: Dallas Texans Academy Alum Conor Doyle of D.C. United
- Feature: Tony Lepore Q & A: Developing Youth Players
- Release: U.S. U-17 Residency Program to Play Pair of Friendlies against Canada
- Release: U.S. U-17 MNT to Face Brazil, England and Portugal at Nike Friendlies
- Release: Academy Holding Three U-13/14 Fall Events
- The YNT Blog
ACADEMY ALUMNI UPDATE:
Velasquez Goal Helps Real Salt Lake Overcome Two-Time Defending Champion LA Galaxy:
Former Carolina Elite Soccer Academy product Sebastian Velasquez scored the first goal of his MLS career in the 35th minute of Real Salt
Lake’s eventual 2-0 win over the LA Galaxy in the second leg of their Western Conference playoff tie at Rio Tinto Stadium on Nov. 8. Velasquez’s goal knotted the two-legged tie at 1-1 and provided the platform
RSL needed to find the game-winner in extra time. After sitting out the last three games of the regular season, Velasquez has seen the field in all
three of RSL’s postseason matches as manager Jason Kreis has handed the plucky midfielder two playoff starts as well.
(The YNT Blog)
UPCOMING ACADEMY SCHEDULE:
- 2013-14 Academy Schedule
- Development Academy Regular Season: The 11th weekend of the 2013-14 Academy season features 152 scheduled games across the three age groups, marking the busiest stretch in Academy play during the 2013-14 season.
- Development Academy Winter Showcase: Dec. 11-15 at Lakewood Ranch, Fla., for U-15/16 and U-17/18 Academy teams. The U-15/16 matches take place on Dec. 12, 13 and 15, and the U-17/18 games are Dec. 11, 12 and 14.
- Academy Update: Red Bulls sweep Albertson at four age levels
- D.C. United Academy Update
- Portland Timbers Development Update: Nov. 12, 2013
- Academy on Campus: Rapids alumni heading into Conference Championships
- From Academy to first team, Dillon Serna is the latest to make his pro debut
- Quakes' PDL squad to bridge gap between first team and Academy
- FCD Academy alums hit tournament time in the NCAA
- De la Fuente capitalized on his second stint with Chivas USA
- Soony Saad joins Lebanon Men's National Team
- Academy Recap: RSL-AZ continues hot start
- studentsports.com: DA U18 Recap: Dwindling undefeateds
- studentsports.com: DA U16 Recap: Sockers find offense
- studentsports.com: U-13/14 Recap
- Tim Regan Joins Head Coach Juergen Sommer on Indy Eleven’s Technical Staff