US SoccerUS Soccer

D.C. United Advances to Giants Cup Semifinals; Crew Eliminated by Saprissa

WASHINGTON, D.C. (Wednesday, April 11, 2001) -
Mark Lisi and Carey Talley scored a goal each as D.C. United claimed a 2-1 victory over Arnett Gardens F.C. tonight at RFK Stadium in the return leg of a home-and-away CONCACAF Giants Cup quarterfinal fixture. United won the series 5-1 on aggregate goals and now advance to the semifinals of the competition, where they will play the winner of the series between Comunicaciones of Guatemala and Mexican power Chivas on August 3 at a venue to be determined. The final of the Giants Cup is slated for August 5.

The Columbus Crew and CD Saprissa of Costa Rica played to a 1-1 tie in the second leg of quarterfinals series, which to send Saprissa through to the tournament semifinals, 3-1, on aggregate goals. The Costa Rican side defeated The Crew, 2-0, last Wednesday (April 4) in the first leg, in San Jose, Costa Rica.

%=macroPart|font/arialBlue2=%D.C. United 2, Arnett Gardens FC 1 (5-1 aggregate)

WASHINGTON, D.C. (Wednesday, April 11, 2001) - Arnett Gardens came into the match tonight needing a four-goal victory over United to advance to the next round, after the Black-and-Red took the first leg 3-0 on Jamaican soil on April 4. With the comfortable goal differential, United head coach Thomas Rongen opted to start a youthful squad this evening, giving his regular starters an off day in preparation for Saturday's MLS fixture against league runner-up Chicago.

Arnett Gardens opened the scoring on a goal by Byron Earl in the 23rd minute. United 'keeper Mike Ammann made an initial save on a shot by Kevin Wilson from the right, but the rebound went directly to Earl for an easy finish.

United equalized the contest seven minutes later on a penalty kick by Carey Talley. The spot kick was awarded after 16-year-old Santino Quaranta, making his first professional start, was taken down by Gerald Neil.

Lisi struck again for United in the 86th minute, four days after recording the game-winner late in the match in a 3-2 victory over Kansas City Saturday night. Bryan Namoff played a ball to Quaranta on the right, who sent a curling cross to Lisi to the near post for a clinical finish with his head.

United had scoring chances throughout the game but came up empty on numerous occasions. Abdul Conteh missed a clear breakaway in the 5th minute after receiving a nice combination from Quaranta. In the 73rd , Chino Alegria shook a defender on the left flank and sent a bending ball to Conteh near the six-yard box. Conteh's header was deflected by the keeper and the ball bounced off the crossbar. Three minutes later, Alegria slammed the crossbar with a 40-yard rocket. The ball bounced to Mark Watson, but the Canadian's short bid was denied by Arnett Gardens netminder Selvin Collins.

Amman had an impressive debut for United, saving Fabian Davis' penalty kick in the 14th minute with a deflection to his right. The penalty kick was awarded after Talley was called for a shirt pulling foul inside the box by Mexican referee Armando Archundia.

Arnett's best opportunity in the second half was in the 62nd minute when Denton Shedden hit the far post after receiving a nice thru ball from Earl.

D.C. - Mike Ammann; Judah Cooks, Mark Watson, Carey Talley (Capt.), Eric Denton (Goodlett, 80'); Mark Lisi, Jose Alegria, Brian Kamler (Nelsen, 46'), Bobby Convey (Namoff 62'); Santino Quaranta, Abdul Thompson Conteh.

Arnett Gardens - Selvin Collins; Eugene Barnes (Capt.), Shane Stevens, Kevin Eldemire, Cornel Chin-Sue; William Richards (Richardson, 84'), Gerald Neil, Fabian Davis (McLeod, 90'), Denton Shedden; Kevin Wilson, Byron Earl.

Scoring Summary:
A.G. - Earl (Wilson), 23.
D.C. - Talley (penalty kick), 30.
D.C. - Lisi (Quaranta, Namoff), 86.

%=macroPart|font/arialBlue2=%Columbus Crew 1, CD Saprissa 1 (1-3 aggregate)

COLUMBUS, Ohio (Wednesday, April 11, 2001) -The Columbus Crew and CD Saprissa of Costa Rica played to a 1-1 tie Wednesday in the second leg of their two-game FC Giants Cup quarterfinals series, which sends Saprissa through to the tournament semifinals, 3-1, on aggregate goals. The Costa Rican side defeated The Crew, 2-0, last Wednesday (April 4) in the first leg, in San Jose, Costa Rica.

Saprissa scored first in the second leg, on Raynor Robinson's 16th-minute looping volley over charging Crew goalkeeper Tom Presthus. Columbus got one back just before halftime, when Robert Warzycha found fellow midfielder Brian Maisonneuve's head with a corner kick from the right flag in the 45th minute. Despite constant pressure from The Crew, which resulted in a 21-13 edge in shots and a 14-4 corner kick margin, it was unable to further dent Saprissa's goal. Only a spectacular goal line save by Saprissa defender Vladimir Quesada kept what appeared to be a sure Jeff Cunningham goal out of the net in the 63rd minute.

The Crew returns to MLS action on Saturday, when it travels to Tampa Bay to take on the Mutiny at Raymond James Stadium at 7 p.m. Saturday's game against the Mutiny will be televised live on WSYX (ABC-6). The Crew return home to Crew Stadium on Saturday, April 21, to face last year's MLS Cup Champion, the Kansas City Wizards at 7:30 p.m.

Saprissa - GK-Erick Lonnis, Victor Cordero, Randall Row, Gilberto Martinez, Daniel Torres, Vladimir Quesada, Jeaustin Campos, Walter Centeno (Douglas Sequeira, 83), Kervin Lacey, Alonso Solis (Juan Esquivel, 57), Rayner Robinson (Gerrold Drummond, 66).

Crew - GK-Tom Presthus, D-Ansil Elcock, D-Tenywa Bonseu, D-Todd Yeagley (Mike Duhaney, 66), M-Brian Maisonneuve, M-Robert Warzycha, M-Roland Aguilera (Mike Mucino, 52), M-John Wilmar Perez, F-Edson Buddle, F-Dante Washington, F-Brian West (Jeff Cunningham, 19).

Scoring Summary:
SAPRISSA - Rayner Robinson (Kervin Lacy), 16.
CREW - Brian Maisonneuve (Robert Warzycha), 45.

Source: and