2012 Development Academy Finals Week – Day 3
U.S. Soccer Development Academy
2011-12 Finals Week
Houston Amateur Sports Park; BBVA Compass Stadium
July 18, 2012
DEADLOCK IN GROUP 1; SLSG MISSOURI TAKES GROUP 2 LEAD: After one round of games in the U-15/16 age group, there is a deadlock atop Group 1 as both the New York Red Bulls and Chicago Fire registered 3-1 wins. The two squads, playing on fields parallel to each other, even scored each of their opening goals within the first 30 seconds of their respective matches. Chicago claimed the fastest goal, scoring in 19 seconds, while New York followed suit with a goal 28 seconds into its match against Pateadores. The two MLS-affiliated clubs square off against each other Thursday (a day after the first teams meet in MLS action). In Group 2, St. Louis Scott Gallagher Missouri earned a 3-0 shutout against PA Classics, while Crew Soccer Academy Wolves scored an 80th-minute equalizer against D.C. United to escape with a share of the spoils.
U-17/18s POTENTIAL OF PLACEMENT SHAKE OUT: On Wednesday, the U-17/18 clubs hit the field for the second round of group matches with the potential for some spots in the placement games to be decided with the right combination of results. In Group 1, Vancouver Whitecaps FC (1-0-0, 3 points) can clinch a spot in the U-17/18 championship final with a win against De Anza Force (0-0-1, 1 point) and a draw between the Colorado Rapids (0-0-1, 1 point) and North Carolina Fusion (0-1-0, 0 points). The same scenario is true for Solar Chelsea SC in Group 2. If Solar Chelsea SC (1-0-0, 3 points) defeats Chivas USA (0-0-1, 1 point), then Baltimore Bays Chelsea (0-1-0, 0 points) must draw with FC Dallas (0-0-1, 1 point) for Solar Chelsea SC to earn a spot in the championship tonight.
FINALS WEEK SCHEDULE (home team listed first; times CT)
All games at Houston Amateur Sports Park
U- 17/18 age group:
Vancouver Whitecaps FC 4, North Carolina Fusion 1 - Match Report
De Anza Force 2, Colorado Rapids 2 - Match Report
FC Dallas 1, Chivas USA 1 - Match Report
Solar Chelsea SC 2, Baltimore Bays Chelsea 0 - Match Report
U-15/16 age group:
New York Red Bulls 3, Pateadores 1 - Match Report
Chicago Fire 3, Charlotte Soccer Academy 1 - Match Report
Crew Soccer Academy Wolves 1, D.C. United 1 - Match Report
St. Louis Scott Gallagher Missouri 3, PA Classics 0 - Match Report
U-17/18 age group:
Chivas USA vs. Solar Chelsea SC, 8 p.m.
Baltimore Bays Chelsea vs. FC Dallas, 8 p.m.
Vancouver Whitecaps FC vs. De Anza Force, 9 p.m.
Colorado Rapids vs. North Carolina Fusion, 9 p.m.
U-15/16 age group:
D.C. United vs. PA Classics, 8 p.m.
St. Louis Scott Gallagher vs. Crew Soccer Academy Wolves, 8 p.m.
Pateadores vs. Charlotte Soccer Academy, 9 p.m.
Chicago Fire vs. New York Red Bulls, 9 p.m.
FIVE ACADEMY PLAYERS HIGHLIGHT U.S. U-20 MILK CUP ROSTER: Showcasing the progress in the development of a strong relationship between the U.S. Soccer Development Academy and the U.S. Youth National Teams, five Academy players earned a spot on the U.S. U-20 Men’s National Team that traveled to Northern Ireland on Monday in preparation for the Milk Cup. The U.S. faces Denmark (July 21) and Turkey (July 23) before a final placement game on July 26. (The YNT Blog)
2011-12 ACADEMY FINALS WEEK IN FOCUS: In the days leading up to Finals Week, the 16 participating teams (eight in each age group) were featured on ussoccer.com:
U-17/18 Academy Finals Week Field:
Group 1: North Carolina Fusion | Vancouver Whitecaps FC | De Anza Force | Colorado Rapids
Group 2: FC Dallas | Chivas USA | Solar Chelsea SC | Baltimore Bays Chelsea
U-15/16 Academy Finals Week Field:
Group 1: New York Red Bulls | Pateadores | Charlotte Soccer Academy | Chicago Fire
Group 2: Crew Soccer Academy Wolves | D.C. United | PA Classics | St. Louis Scott Gallagher Missouri
FINALS WEEK HISTORY: Entering the fifth anniversary edition of Finals Week, relive the previous championship matches with a run-down of Finals Week history and a primer on the tournament’s format.
ACADEMY PLAYOFFS RECAP: The 2011-12 Development Academy Playoffs at the FC Dallas Stadium Complex in Frisco, Texas, featured some exciting matches and down-to-the-wire finishes deciding the 16 teams that qualified for Finals Week. Here’s a refresher on what went down a couple weeks ago at the Academy Playoffs as well as links to the background and history of the Academy Playoffs:
- Academy Playoffs Results | YNT Blog
- U-17/18 Group Standings (final) | U-15/16 Group Standings (final)
- U-17/18 Group Winners | U-15/16 Group Winners
- History of Academy Playoffs and Finals Week | Academy Playoffs Process and Background
- Studio 90: 2012 Finals Week – Recapping Day 1 of U-17/18, Looking to U-15/16 Play on Day 2
- The YNT Blog: Five Academy Players Highlight U.S. U-20 Milk Cup Roster
- The YNT Blog: Time for a Fresh Cut
- The YNT Blog: By the Numbers: U-17/18 Teams Kick Off Finals Week
- Academy Playoffs Goals:Day 1 |Day 2 |Day 3 |Day 4 | Day 5
- Studio 90: Recapping U-17/18 Opening Day Matches
- Studio 90: Teams Prepare for Day 1 of Finals Week
- Studio 90: Juan Agudelo Back at the Development Academy
- Feature: Academy Paves Path for Colorado Rapids’ Shane O’Neill
- Feature: Juan Agudelo Credits Academy with Advancing his Game
- Release: U-17/U-18 Teams Clinch Finals Week Berths
- The YNT Blog: U-17/18 Teams Get Training on Nutrition and Hydration
- The YNT Blog: Jasen Anno – From Development Academy to MLS Referee
- 2011-12 Development Academy Playoffs U-17/18 group standings page
- 2011-12 Development Academy Playoffs U-15/16 group standings page
- History of the Development Academy Playoffs and Finals Week