Across the Academy - Feb. 28
U.S. Under-20 Men’s National Team to Face Cuba on Friday in Semifinal of U-20 CONCACAF Championship: Behind goals from Luis Gil and Wil Trapp and two goals from Jose Villarreal, the U.S. U-20 Men’s National Team clinched a spot in the 2013 U-20 World Cup with a 4-2 come-from-behind victory against Canada. Check out the match highlights and reaction from U-20 head coach Tab Ramos, Gil, Trapp and Villarreal on ussoccer.com. The U.S. U-20 MNT will now face Cuba in the semifinals on Friday, March 1, which will be televised on FOX Soccer, kicking off at 5:00 p.m. CT. Follow the team at the YNT blog and on twitter @ussoccer_ynt.
U.S. Under-20 Men’s National Team Utilizing Caleb Stanko’s Versatility: Stanko hails from a three-season stint in U.S. Soccer’s Development Academy at Michigan-based Vardar (now Vardar SC Freiburg), and he had been a part of the club since the U-7 level.
U.S. Soccer, Nike Host Youth Futsal Invitational Events: With an emphasis on developing the U-13/14 age level, U.S. Soccer, in partnership with Nike, is hosting two youth futsal events from March 1-3 in King of Prussia, Pa., and a west coast event from April 19-24 at The Home Depot Center in Carson, Calif.
U-20 MNT’s Mexican Connection: Cuevas, Joya and Ocegueda Bring Development Academy Experience from Mexico to U.S. Under-20s as they prepare for 2013 CONCACAF U-20 Championship in Puebla. Meet them and their teammates in the U-20 Men’s National Team’s, Meet the Team Video.
U-20 MNT’S Jose Villareal Represents Growing Presence from Academy Base: From a U.S. Soccer Development Academy championship, to scoring his first professional goal in Major League Soccer, to now representing the U.S. with the hopes of advancing to the FIFA U-20 World Cup, Villarreal has been a true product of the youth soccer system.
LAST WEEK’S HIGHLIGHTS:
- Chivas USA U-15/16 reached double digit goals in the form of a 10-0 victory against Nomads SC U-15/16. Eight different players found the back of the net for Chivas USA, with Adonis Amaya and Mark Hernandez each recording braces.
- FC Dallas U-17/18 remained in first place in the Frontier Division with a 3-0 win against Sporting Kansas City U-17/18. Yomeri Reyes tallied a goal in each half for FC Dallas who has now stretched its unbeaten streak to seven games.
- CASL Chelsea FC Academy U-17/18 earned a 2-1 victory against North Carolina Fusion U-17/18 to remain amongst the leaders in the Southeast Division. CASL Chelsea got two goals from Camilo Martinez to snap a two-game losing skid and hold on to the second place spot in their division.
Player of the Week: Jason Romero, De Anza Force U-17/18
Romero notched the game-winning goal in De Anza’s 2-0 win against the San Jose Earthquakes this weekend. Romero was called into his first U.S. Youth National Team camp for the U-18s and will go on the team’s 10-day, three-match international trip to France and Romania, March 15-25.
Referee of the Week: Justin Bradford
Justin Bradford earns Referee of the Week honors for his performance in his week 22 match between North Carolina Fusion U-15/16 CASL Chelsea FC Academy U-15/16. Bradford is a grade five referee from North Carolina, he’s worked 30 academy matches, attended the 2009 and 2010 playoffs and also does USL Pro, NASL and PLD/W League matches.
2012-13 DEVELOPMENT ACADEMY SEASON:
- 2012 Academy Winter Showcase: 10-Month Season, Part I | 10-Month Season, Part II: New Teams | Orlando City Feature | Showcase Wrap-Up
- 2012-13 Academy Outlook: Overview | 10-Month Season | Improvement in Everyday Environment
- U-13/14 Starts in Fall of 2013: Release | Tony Lepore Q & A | U-13/14 Program