Across the Academy - Jan. 17
Williams Names 31 Players for U-17 MNT Spring Residency: U.S. Under-17 Men’s National Team head coach Richie Williams invited 31 players to the 2013 Spring Semester of the U.S. U-17 Residency Program in Bradenton, Fla. The roster includes 24 players with ties to Development Academy clubs, and this group is looking to qualify for the 2013 FIFA U-17 World Cup in October and November at the United Arab Emirates. The U.S. first has its sights on the 2013 CONCACAF U-17 Championship from April 6-19 in Panama.
U-20 MNT Training in Mexico: U.S. U-20 MNT head coach Tab Ramos recently named a 20-player roster for a training camp in Puebla, Mexico. The camp, which kicked off Monday, includes closed-door matches on Jan. 19 and 21 against Panama as the USA prepares for the 2013 CONCACAF U-20 Championship from Feb. 18-March 3 in Puebla. Seventeen players on the current roster have ties to the Academy as former players while one – Oscar Sorto – is still registered with the LA Galaxy Academy team.
Academy Returns in Earnest this Weekend: The Development Academy season returns from its short hiatus with 22 games currently on the docket this weekend. There are three unbeaten among the two age groups. For the U-15/16s, D.C. United leads the Atlantic Division at 11-0-2 and Georgia United is second in the Southeast Division at 5-0-5. The New York Red Bulls U-17/18 team also is unbeaten at 10-0-3 in the Northeast Division.
LAST WEEK’S HIGHLIGHTS:
- Dakota Armour scored a game-winning goal in the final minute of regulation and the San Juan Soccer Club U-15/16 team rallied for a 3-2 victory against the Santa Cruz Breakers Academy last Saturday. San Juan trailed 1-0 at halftime, but Patrick Lee, Claudio Celis and Armour each provided a goal over the 40-minute second half for the team’s second victory of the season in the Northwest Division. At the U-17/18 age group, Santa Cruz and San Juan played to a scoreless draw.
With only two games this past weekend, no player or referee of the week were named.
OTHER NEWS AND NOTES:
Academy Alum Carlos Alvarez Picked No. 2 in MLS SuperDraft: Former Development Academy midfielder Carlos Alvarez (LAFC) of Connecticut was the No. 2 selection in Thursday’s 2013 MLS SuperDraft. Nine former Academy players were selected in the draft’s first round. For more, visit ussoccer.com’s The YNT Blog.
Ex-PDA Forward Finley Makes Professional Transition: Before Thursday’s MLS SuperDraft, former Development Academy player and Notre Dame senior forward Ryan Finley caught up with ussoccer.com about participating in the 2013 MLS Combine and a successful youth and collegiate career that capped off with a 2012 MAC Hermann Trophy runner-up showing.
ACADEMY IN THE NEWS:
- Will Bruin Impressing Klinsmann in First U.S. Camp – mlssoccer.com
- Signings Carlos Alvarez, Dillon Powers Lead Way at MLS Combine – mlssoccer.com
- Family Drives Carlos Alvarez in Right Direction – Soccer America
- Eriq Zavaleta Could Follow Father, Uncle to Back Line – Soccer America
- Development Academy Preview: Texans, Dynamo Battle – Top Drawer Soccer
- Q & A with D.C. United’s Michael Seaton – dcunited.com
2012-13 DEVELOPMENT ACADEMY SEASON:
- 2012 Academy Winter Showcase: 10-Month Season, Part I | 10-Month Season, Part II: New Teams | Orlando City Feature | Showcase Wrap-Up
- 2012-13 Academy Outlook: Overview | 10-Month Season | Improvement in Everyday Environment
- U-13/14 Starts in Fall of 2013: Release | Tony Lepore Q & A | U-13/14 Program