Across the Academy – Oct. 16, 2013
#OpportunityKnocks: De Anza Force’s David Chavez: De Anza Force U-17/18 defender David Chavez sat down with ussoccer.com for its Opportunity Knocks series. During a recent U.S. U-18 Men’s National Team camp, Chavez said that the speed and style of play among the group will help his game at the Academy level as he and De Anza Force hope to return to Finals Week. Chavez was one of 64 players invited to a National Combine in August at Nike’s World Headquarters in Beaverton, Ore.
U-18 MNT Takes Second in Limoges Tournament: The U.S. Under-18 Men’s National Team earned second place at the 2013 Limoges Tournament in France this past week. The U-18s fought through a difficult field from the get-go. The USA overcame a two-goal deficit to draw 2-2 against host France on Oct. 9, with Andrija Novakovich of Chicago Magic PSG and Rubio Rubin scoring back-to-back goals in the second half. The USA shut out the Czech Republic 1-0 on an Erik Palmer-Brown goal on Friday, Oct. 11. Capping off the event against Poland, Crew Soccer Academy Wolves’ Ahinga Selemani tallied a goal, and a Novakovich shot deflected off of a Poland defender to lead to the 2-0 score line on Sunday, Oct. 13.
ACADEMY SOCIAL CONNECTION:
- @ChicagoMagicPSG: Congratulations to #CMPSG Academy players Andrija Novakovich & Tommy Redding & the U18 USMNT, defeating Poland – Chicago Magic PSG
- @JACKSONVILLE_FC: Anyone that doesn’t recognize that soccer will soon become a competitive threat to gridiron football has not been paying attention. – Jacksonville FC
- @SCUnited_FC: “Working harder than the opposition only gets you so far. Working with greater quality should be your aim.” – South Carolina United FC
Share your Academy news, comments, photos, links and more using the #OpportunityKnocks hashtag.
ACADEMY QUICK HITS (Weekend of Oct. 12-13):
- West Conference: The De Anza Force U-17/18 team stayed unbeaten, overcoming a one-goal deficit for a 2-1 win against the San Juan Soccer Club on Saturday. Carlos Delgadillo found the equalizer in the 43rd minute and Aravind Sivakumar garnered the winner in the 89th minute as De Anza Force sits in second place in the Northwest Division with a 5-0-2 record. The De Anza Force U-15/16s also topped San Juan. Keanu Mendoza had a first-half brace and Fernando Soria scored in the second half en route to a 3-0 victory.
- Central Conference: Chicago Magic PSG swept its set against FC Wisconsin Nationals at both age groups on Sunday. Andrew Grabavoy scored twice and Dzenan Nezirevic tallied in the opening minute of the Chicago Magic PSG U-17/18 team’s 3-1 victory against FC Wisconsin Nationals to improve to 5-0-1 and a second-place tie with the Chicago Fire in the Mid-America Division. The Chicago Magic PSG U-15/16s, which lead the Mid-America with a 5-1-0 record, had a similar start with Fredi Ortega scoring two goals and Kendall Stork netting the game’s first goal to take a 3-0 lead in the first 19 minutes. FC Wisconsin crept back in the game, but the Magic held on for a 3-2 victory.
- East Conference: Players Development Academy moved to a perfect 6-0-0 in the Atlantic Division at both age groups with a sweep of the Virginia Rush on Saturday. PDA’s U-15/16 team earned a 4-0 victory highlighted by Cameron Harr’s hat trick. Evan Godfrey added a late goal. The PDA U-17/18s topped the Virginia Rush 3-1, with Brian White scoring the equalizer and game-winner. Zach Knudson had the game’s first goal in the 24th minute.
Stat of the Week: All three U-15/16 teams that have not allowed a goal yet this season are in the Frontier Division. FC Dallas (2-0-0), the Colorado Rapids (3-0-2) and Lonestar SC Academy (2-0-2) have combined for 11 shutouts.
- Player of the Week: Forward Raul Aguilera of Orlando City earned player of the week for the weekend of Oct. 5-6. Aguilera played up with the U-15/16 squad, putting in a strong performance in the team’s 4-0 win against the Carolina Rapids in East Conference play on Oct. 6.
- Referee of the Week: Ryan Keck, a 35-year-old referee from Southern California, was named Academy Referee of the Week for his work during a U-17/18 match between Nomads SC and Arsenal FC. The game marked Keck’s third Academy game in the middle. He has also previously worked in W-League play.
For all Development Academy results, visit ussda.demosphere.com or click on the following links:
- Video: Opportunity Knocks: De Anza Force’s David Chavez
- Video: Opportunity Knocks: Capital Area RailHawks’ Lucas Del Rosario
- Video: Opportunity Knocks: San Jose Earthquakes’ Edwin Lara
- Video: Opportunity Knocks: D.C. United’s Jose Carranza
- Video: Opportunity Knocks: Georgia United’s Juan Pablo Torres
- Video: Opportunity Knocks: New York Red Bulls’ Tyler Adams
- Video: U.S. Soccer Development Academy Launches U-13/14 Division
- Feature: Dallas Texans Academy Alum Conor Doyle of D.C. United
- Feature: Tony Lepore Q & A: Developing Youth Players
- The YNT Blog
ACADEMY ALUMNI UPDATE:
- MLSSoccer.com sat down with homegrown players and Development Academy alumni Jose Villarreal and Gyasi Zardes of the LA Galaxy and DeAndre Yedlin of the Seattle Sounders to discuss their opportunity to play in MLS close to home as they continue their young professional careers. Additionally, MLS caught up with Jack McInerney, Luis Gil and Darlington Nagbe as they are enjoying breakout seasons in 2013.
Quotable: “They’ve seen me grow and play in the Academy and do well with the Academy, and to see me walking down [the tunnel] with the little kids next to me holding their hand – [my parents] are very proud of me, even though they might not tell me. I know deep inside they’re proud of me. They’re obviously happy with what I’m doing but they’re not satisfied; they want me to continue and eventually become a great star, a good athlete and a better person.” – LA Galaxy’s Jose Villarreal on his parents and playing for his hometown MLS team
UPCOMING ACADEMY SCHEDULE:
- 2013-14 Academy Schedule
- Development Academy Regular Season: The seventh weekend of the 2013-14 Academy season features 118 games across the three age groups.
- Development Academy Winter Showcase: Dec. 11-15 at Lakewood Ranch, Fla., for U-15/16 and U-17/18 Academy teams. The U-15/16 matches take place on Dec. 12, 13 and 15, and the U-17/18 games are Dec. 11, 12 and 14.
- The Oakland Press: Development Academy Aims to Train Most ‘Elite’ Players
- Top Drawer Soccer: Academy Recap
- studentsports.com: U-17/18 Recap: PDA Wins Behind Knudson, White
- studentsports.com: U-15/16 Recap: Kendall Wins in a Romp
- studentsports.com: U-13/14 Recap