U.S. U-18 MNT Head Coach Javier Perez Names 20-Player Roster for Lisbon International Tournament
U-18s Will Face Poland, Slovakia and Portugal; Roster Includes 15 Development Academy Players and Three Academy Alumni
CHICAGO (May 16, 2012) â€“ U.S. Under-18 Menâ€™s National Team head coach Javier Perez has named a 20-player roster for the four-team 2012 Lisbon International Tournament from May 23-26 in Portugal.
Perezâ€™s squad travels Thursday, May 17, and will play a friendly against Sporting Lisbon on Sunday, May 19, before kicking off tournament play against Poland on Wednesday, May 23. The U.S. then faces Slovakia on May 24 and wraps up against host Portugal on May 26.
The other three teams participating in the tournament will field U-19 squads.
* NOTE: The roster was updated May 17, 2012. Jalen Markey and Stefanos Stamoulacatos joined the roster in the place of Paul Arriola and Dylan Greenberg.
U.S. U-18 MNT Roster By Position:
GOALKEEPERS (2): Ethan Horvath (Real Colorado Academy; Highlands Ranch, Colo.), Zackary Steffen (FC Delco Academy; Downington, Pa.)
DEFENDERS (6):Â Jordan Allen (Real Salt Lake Academy; Rochester, N.Y.),Â Robert Michael Amick (De Anza Force Soccer Academy; Sunnyvale, Calif.), Mobi Fehr (FC Basel; Tokyo, Japan), Trevor Haberkorn (Solar Chelsea Soccer Academy; Keller, Texas), Malcom Harriss (Baltimore Bays Chelsea; Damascus, Md.), Jalen Markey (Seattle Sounders FC Academy; Renton, Wash.)
MIDFIELDERS (6): Kellyn Acosta (FC Dallas Academy; Plano, Texas), Russell Cannouse (Hoffenheim, Germany;Achtzehn Akademie, Germany), Marco Delgado (Chivas USA Academy; Glendora, Calif.), Matthew Dunn (OFK Belgrade; Dallas, Texas), Alejandro Guido (Club Tijuana, Mexico; Chula Vista, Calif.), Dillon Serna (Colorado Rapids Academy, Brighton, Colo.)
FORWARDS (6): Jack McBean (LA Galaxy; Balboa Island, Calif.), Andrew Oliver (Chicago Fire Academy; Indianapolis, Ind.), Zach Pfeffer (Philadelphia Union; Dresher, Pa.), Esteban Rodriguez (Club Tijuana, Mexico; Palmdale, Calif.), Ben Spencer (Chivas USA Academy; Albuquerque, N.M.), Stefanos Stamoulacatos (Empire; Camillus, N.Y.)
â€œItâ€™s going to be a very challenging tournament for us, not only for the age group but also because every team in Europe is extremely competitive,â€ said Perez. â€œI am very confident in our players because some of them are playing already at the professional level in the MLS or in Europe. Some others are at the Development Academy level and some of them have previous experience in the U-17 World Cup. Thatâ€™s a very good experience for them.â€
The U.S. U-18 Menâ€™s National team does not compete in any world championships, but instead serves as a transition between the U-17 and U-20 Menâ€™s National Teams, which both compete in World Cup cycles. In 2012, the U-18 MNT will be comprised of players born on or after Jan. 1, 1994, making them eligible to compete in the 2013 FIFA U-20 World Cup in Turkey.
- Of the 20 players on the roster, 18 have Development Academy experience, with 15 current Academy players and three Academy alumni.
- TwelveÂ players on the roster have been part of the U.S. U-17 Residency Program in Bradenton, Fla.
- Six players ply their trade in the professional ranks: Matthew Dunn (OFK Belgrade), Mobi Fehr (Basel FC), Alejandro Guido (Club Tijuana), Jack McBean (LA Galaxy), Zach Pfeffer (Philadelphia Union) and Esteban Rodriguez (Club Tijuana).
- Guido and Rodriguez are Club Xoloitzcuintles de Tijuana teammates of midfielder Joe Corona and defender Edgar Castillo, who were recently called in to the full U.S. Menâ€™s National Team.