Development Academy Playoffs: Day 2 Notes
U.S. Soccer Development Academy
2010-11 Playoffs and Showcase
Pizza Hut Park; Frisco, Texas
June 25, 2011
DAY ONE IN THE BOOKS: With 39 games done and dusted under the bright Texas sun, the 2010-11 Development Academy Playoffs and Showcase have finished their first set of games. The U-17/18s took the field yesterday for 23 Showcase games starting at 9 a.m., while the evening set contained all the first group matches for the 32 Playoff teams. Today will see both age groups out in full force, as the Under-15/16 teams kick off the their run through Playoffs in the morning, with the U-17/18s continuing with the second day of games in the evening.
OPENING ROUND RESULTS: Among all the matches today were these notable results:
- In what was expected to be a tight clash, division winners D.C. United U-17/18 and Empire United U-17/18 squared off in their first group game, with United making an opening day statement by virtue of a 3-0 victory.Â
- In the same group, Pateadores continued the hot streak that saw them enter this weekend winning nine of their last 10 games to make the Playoffs as the No. 31 seed. Today's 2-1 win against North Carolina Fusion gives them five in a row, and they'll be looking to make it six against D.C. United on Sunday afternoon.Â
- Two Showcase games had eight goals scored: a 5-3 victory for U-17/18 club Virginia Rush AJ Auxerre against South Central Premier, and a 6-2 win for Shattuck-St. Maryâ€™s Soccer Academyâ€™s U-17/18 side against the San Diego Surf.Â
- For all other results, check the U-17/18 Academy schedule and results page here.
WHAT TO LOOK FORWARD TO: The second day of the 2010-11 Playoff and Showcase kicks off matches in the Under-15/16 age group. There will be a full slate of games as both age groups take the field at Pizza Hut Park:
- In a dÃ©ja vu of sorts, D.C. United U-15/16 and Empire United U-15/16 face off in their first group game. Both teams head into the Playoffs at the top of their division in what is expected to be tight match.Â
- Charlotte Soccer Academy U-15/16s heads into Playoffs as the top seed in the U-15/16 age group, taking on FC Westchester in the first game.Â
- Seattle Sounders FC U-15/16 is looking to following in the footsteps of their older counterpart. Both age groups won their division and Seattle Sounders FC U-17/18 posted a convincing 9-2 win against Seacoast United in its first match.Â
- Concorde Fire U-15/16 kicks off its first game of the tournament against the Dallas Texas after being the first team to qualify for Playoffs, qualifying in February.Â
- For a complete schedule, check out the U-15/16 Schedule page here.
STANDINGS AFTER DAY ONE: Twelve teams took a big step towards Finals Week with a victory in their game today, while four draws left those teams with everything still to play for in their final two group games. See where all the clubs stand after their first game on theÂ U-17/18 Group Standings page at ussoccer.com.
SHAKING OFF THE RUST: When Concorde Fire U-15/16 played against Clearwater Chargers on June 5, 2011, it was the first time the group had played together since the 2010 Winter Showcase in December. Since qualifying back in February, Concordeâ€™s wait will finally be over with their first Playoff game Saturday. Read aboutÂ