Across the Academy - Feb. 23
U-23s Host Mexico on Wednesday: The U.S. U-23 Menâ€™s National Team hosts Mexicoâ€™s U-23 National Team at 9 p.m. CT on Wednesday, Feb. 29, at FC Dallas Stadium in preparation for the Menâ€™s Olympic Qualifying tournament starting in March. Among the players on the roster are Development Academy alumni Juan Agudelo, Joe Corona, Bill Hamid, Jack McInerney and Zarek Valentin. The U-23s played Major League Soccer side FC Dallas on Wednesday morning, earning a 2-1 victory. Agudelo, Hamid and Valentin started the match for the U.S.
Texans, Solar Chelsea Prepare for Tilt: The Dallas Texans U-15/16 team puts its unbeaten 12-0-6 record on the line when it faces Solar Chelsea SC this weekend in a matchup featuring the top two teams in the Texas Division. The Dallas Texans are 10-0-3 in division play, while Solar Chelsea boasts a 6-2-5 division record, 8-4-6 overall.
LAST WEEKâ€™S HIGHLIGHTS:
- Both Texans SC Houston teams posted a win, which kept the U-15/16 team in second place behind FC Dallas, while the U-17/18 team moved ahead of Solar Chelsea SC with a 2-0 win against the Houston Dynamo. Goals from Emmanuel Usen and Zachary Jackson helped the younger team beat the Dynamo 2-0.
- Continuing its climb in the Atlantic Division, the North Carolina Fusion U-17/18 team won 2-1 against the Richmond Strikers on Saturday. The Fusion overcame a second-half deficit with goals from Samuel McBride and Adam Storm in the 65th and 74th minutes, respectively, to improve to 3-0-0 in the division and 5-3-2 overall.
- Strong offensive performances by Roland Minogue for the Charlotte Soccer Academy lifted the U-17/18 team to a 2-0-0 weekend, while the younger team faced similar success against the Virginia Rush and Richmond Kickers.
- The Santa Cruz Breakers Academy U-15/16 team jumped three spots from eighth place to fifth place in the Northwest Division standings with a 3-1 come-from-behind victory against Cal Odyssey. Giovanni Godoy had the game-winning goal in the 65th minute and an insurance goal in the 75th minute to lead Santa Cruz.
- LA Galaxy and Chivas USA played to dual 1-1 draws in both age groups on Saturday in the Academy version of the Super Classico. The tie helped the younger LA Galaxy squad move into sole possession of second place in the SoCal Division, just four points behind Real Salt Lake AZ. Kevin Labastida tallied the game-tying goal for the U-15/16 team in the 58th minute as the Galaxy salvaged a point against Chivas USA.
Week 22 Player of the Week: Jordan Allen, Midfielder, Real Salt Lake AZ
Jordan Allen of the Real Salt Lake AZ U-15/16 team played up on the older U-17/18 team for 60 minutes as it defeated Pateadores 5-0 on Saturday. Throughout the 2011-12 season, Allen has started all 14 fixtures for the club with 10 appearances coming from the U-17/18 age group. Allen has three goals this season as the Real Salt Lake AZ U-15/16 team leads the SoCal Division with a 6-1-0 record and the U-17/18 side is third in the SoCal Division at 3-1-3. He is the second Real Salt Lake AZ player to earn Player of the Week accolades; midfielder Andrew Brody was recognized in Week 7.
Referee of the Week: Chris Calderon
Chris Calderon earns Referee of the Week honors for his performance in the U-17/18 matchup between the LA Galaxy and Chivas USA that resulted in a 1-1 stalemate at The Home Depot Center. Calderon, a referee from South California, has worked 41 Academy matches over a two-year stretch. The 25-year-old Calderon has worked MLS Reserve, W-League, PDL and U.S. YNT matches.
ACADEMY ALUMNI NEWS AND NOTES:
Houston Dynamo Signs Marscheider: The Houston Dynamo announced the signing of former Colorado Rush goalkeeper Erich Marscheider on Wednesday. The 19-year-old had been training throughout Houstonâ€™s preseason. Marscheider played for three seasons with the Colorado Rush.
ACADEMY IN THE NEWS:
- Ex-De Anza Force MF Pelosi Discusses Path to Liverpool â€“ San Jose Mercury News
- New England Revolution U-17s to Compete in South Africa â€“ RevolutionSoccer.net
- Richmond Kickers Make Academy Program Free for 2012-13 â€“ Potomac Soccer Wire
- Virginia Rush, Kickers Split Results Over Weekend â€“ Potomac Soccer Wire
- Four Things to Know About D.C. United Academy player and U.S. U-20 player Collin Martin â€“ Soccer America
- Juan Agudeloâ€™s Fight for Playing Time â€“ ESPNSoccernet.com
- Houston Dynamo Defeat Academy in Preseason Scrimmage â€“ HoustonDynamo.com
- Wake Forest Men Primed for a Big Year â€“ Top Drawer Soccer