World Cup Update For June 11, 2010
U.S. MNT World Cup Update
June 11, 2010
Rustenburg, South Africa
USA KICKS OFF 2010 FIFA WORLD CUP AGAINST ENGLAND
Four years of pent-up anticipation will be relieved in a little more than 24 hours, when the eyes of more than a billion soccer fans around the world will focus their attention on the USA's opening match of the 2010 FIFA World Cup against England. What is likely the most highly-anticipated match in U.S. Soccer history kicks off at 2:30 p.m. ET on ABC and Univision, with special pre-game coverage beginning at 1:30 p.m. on ABC. Fans can also follow along on ussoccer.com's MatchTracker and at twitter.com/ussoccer.
TODAY FROM STUDIO 90
U.S. Soccerâ€™s popular web show Studio 90 will feature one to two shows a day during the FIFA World Cup. Hereâ€™s a look at the rundown for the June 11 show.
Studio 90: The June 11 pregame edition of Studio 90 features Men's National Team players looking ahead to the game against England. There's also the third episode in the Beyond the Sidelines series. The in-depth look at the MNT fitness regime aduring the World Cup focuses on preparations for the opening of the World Cup. Assistant coach Mike Sorber offers his thoughts on the team leading up to the big day in Rustenburg and there's also a sit-down interview with starting goalkeeper Tim Howard.
Sounds from South Africa: On the June 11 edition of Sounds from South Africa, U.S. Men's National team head coach Bob Bradley and captain Carlos Bocanegra preview the match against England in the pre-game press conference from Rustenburg. There's also an interview with goalkeeper Tim Howard, who sits down on Studio 90 Extra Time.
FROM THE MNT BLOG
A collection of notes, anecdotes and links:
- Stadium Training at Royal Bafokeng -Â The U.S. MNT held its final training session before the match against England, taking the pitch at Royal Bafokeng Stadium for one hour during Friday evening.Â
- People of the Hippo -Â The USA is staying in Pilanesburg National Park at a hotel called Bakubung, meaning "People of the Hippo."Â
- Fan Fest Rustenburg -Â The MNT Blog ventures into Rustenburg to take in the opening game of the 2010 FIFA World Cup at a Fan Fest
QUOTABLE: June 11, 2010
For more quotes, visit ussoccer.com
U.S. MNT Head Coach BOB BRADLEY:
On whether keeping Wayne Rooney quiet tomorrow is a key to victory:
â€œI would agree with that. I think heâ€™s such an important player in their team. He comes off a super season, so our ability to keep track of him and make it hard for him is a very important part of what we need to do in order to win.â€
On what itâ€™s like to return to Rustenburg specifically, site of the U.S.â€™ 3-0 victory against Egypt:
â€œFor us the game here last year was the third game of the group. We knew that we needed to win by a big score and needed some help, but we still believed in what we were doing. On that night, every one of our players kept running, kept pushing until the end to see if we could pull out the victory and move on to the semifinals. When you come back to a stadium where you had that type of team effort itâ€™s a good feeling, and hopefully itâ€™s something we can make happen again.â€
England Head Coach FABIO CAPELLO
On his confidence in the team:
â€œI have confidence in the team because we played well during the qualifying matches and during the more recent friendlies. And there is a great deal of confidence and I feel really responsible for all of this. But I do believe that this time around we have a team, a squad that can make it to the final.â€
FIFA WORLD CUP FACTS: GROUP G
- Brazil is the dean of FIFA World Cup teams with five titles and all-time leading FIFA World Cup scorer Ronaldoâ€™s 15 goals.Â
- Korea DPR has only appeared in one FIFA World Cup, 44 years ago in England when they finished eighth. This is also the second World Cup for Ivory Coast, who qualified for the first time in 2006.Â
- Portugal has been all or nothing in the FIFA World Cup, twice missing out on advancement and twice participating in the third-place match (winning in 1966 and losing in 2006).