Across the Academy - Dec. 15
U.S. Under-15 BNT in Florida Camp: The U.S. U-15 Boysâ€™ National Team has convened for a week-long camp at Premier Sports Campus in Lakewood Ranch, Fla. U.S. Director of Scouting Tony Lepore called 36 players into camp, which began Sunday, Dec. 11, and lasts until Dec. 18. Nineteen players hail from clubs that are members of the Development Academy, and 12 are members of their Academy team. The New York Red Bulls send five players to the camp, while the Minnesota Thunder, San Jose Earthquakes and Players Development Academy send two players each. Also in camp are assistant coaches Richie Williams, head coach of the U.S. U-18 Menâ€™s National Team, PA Classics head coach Steve Klein, and FC Dallas Academy head coach Oscar Pareja.
Featured Fixtures: The U-17/18 age group will be highlighted by a cross-town rivalry, with Solar Chelsea SC (7-3-3) hosting a still unbeaten FC Dallas (10-0-2). In the Pacific Northwest, Seattle Sounders FC (6-3-3) faces the Vancouver Whitecaps FC (7-1-2), who will make the trek across the border. The Sounders (8-2-2) and Whitecaps (6-2-2) will also face off in the U-15/16 age group, where they are currently in first and second place, respectively, in the Northwest Division. Also facing off will be cross-conference rivals CASL Chelsea FC Academy U-15/16 (2-0-2) and Concorde Fire (11-5-3).
LAST WEEKâ€™S HIGHLIGHTS:
- Only eight matches were played last weekend, following the 2011 Winter Showcase.Â
- Four of the eight games had multiple goal scorers, with Eric Oâ€™Brien (CASL Chelsea FC Academy U-17/18), Patrick Palmer (CASL Chelsea FC Academy U-17/18), Nestor Jaramillo (South Carolina Battery U-15/16) and Michele Bottari (South Carolina United Battery U-15/16) each scoring twice.
- The South Conference was the only conference with games this weekend, with CASL Chelsea FC, Georgia United, McLean Youth Soccer, North Carolina Fusion, Richmond Kickers and South Carolina United Battery all seeing action.Â
- McLean Youth Soccer was the only team to go undefeated, defeating the Richmond Kickers 2-1 in both age groups.
ACADEMY ALUMNI NEWS AND NOTES:
Jimmy McLaughlin Signs with Philadelphia Union: Former FC DELCO forward Jimmy McLaughlin signed with the Philadelphia Union as the teamâ€™s second Homegrown Player, joining fell Academy alumnus Zach Pfeffer. McLaughlin just finished his freshman season at Colgate, where he started all 22 games and helped the Raiders win the Patriot League championship.
Kelyn Rowe Called into U.S. U-23 MNT Camp: U-23 Menâ€™s National Team head coach Caleb Porter added forward Terrence Boyd and midfielder Kelyn Rowe to the roster for a training camp set to begin in Lakewood Ranch, Fla., later this week. With the additions, there will now be 30 players on the roster training from Dec. 15-23 at the Premier Sports Campus. A U-20 Menâ€™s National Team veteran, Rowe will make his camp debut in the U-23 age group. The UCLA sophomore scored six goals and tallied 10 assists during the Bruinsâ€™ recent run to the semifinals of the NCAA College Cup. The former member of Development Academy team Crossfire Premier was also named Pac-12 Player of the Year for 2011.
Columbus Crew Signs Matt Lampson as Homegrown Player: Former Crew Soccer Academy goalkeeper Matt Lampson signed with his hometown club, the Columbus Crew, as the teamâ€™s second Homegrown Player. Lampson was the man in goal for the Crew Soccer Academy U-17/18 team that finished in third place at 2008 Academy Finals Week.
ACADEMY IN THE NEWS:
- U.S. Soccer recaps the Under-17 mini-camp held in Bradenton, Fla. â€“ ussoccer.comÂ
- ESPN RISE highlights McLean Youth Soccerâ€™s success so far this season â€“ ESPN RISEÂ
- Chivas USA Academy announces partnership with United FC â€“ Chivas USAÂ
- ESPN RISE posts the past weekendâ€™s scoring leaders â€“ ESPN RISE