Across the Academy - Jan. 13, 2011
ACROSS THE ACADEMY
A Weekly Summary of Development Academy News â€“Â Jan. 13, 2011 Â
Light Weekend Ahead with First Academy Games of 2011: The first Development Academy games of the new year kick off on Sunday with eight teams in action. Seattle Sounders FC will travel down to face California Development Academy and Atlanta Fire play host to South Carolina United
South Carolina United Looking to Stay on Pace: Both the U-15/16 and U-17/18 South Carolina United teams will be looking to bring their records up to .500 on the season against Atlanta Fire. The U-15/16 team currently sits in second place in the Southeast Division behind only Concorde Fire, while the older team is in third place behind Concorde Fire and Birmingham United.
Sounders Leading the Northwest Division: At the U-17/18 level, the Seattle Sounders have lost just one game all season, and will try to build their lead in the Northwest this weekend against CDA. The Sounders have an impressive 8-1-3 overall and a 4-0-1 divisional record. The second place team in the U-17/18 Northwest Division is Cal Odyssey, with a 2-2-0 divisional record.
LAST WEEKâ€™S HIGHLIGHTS:
Three Academy Alums Selected in Top 11 of MLS SuperDraft: Darlington Nagbe (Internationals) was selected second by the Portland Timbers, Zarek Valentin (IMG Academies/PA Classics) fourth by Chivas USA and Will Bruin (St. Louis Scott Gallagher Missouri) 11th overall by the Houston Dynamo at the 2011 Major League Soccer SuperDraft in Baltimore on Jan. 13. Additionally, South Central Premierâ€™s Ryan Kinne was chosen 42nd overall.
U-17 Residency Roster Completed with 28 Academy Players: With one month before the U.S. U-17 MNT competes for a place at the 2011 FIFA U-17 World Cup, head coach Wilmer Cabrera has finalized the 40-player roster for the teamâ€™s Residency Program. Overall, 28 out of 40 players hail from Academy clubs. There are eight new players entering Residency for the first time, seven of which play in the Academy and participated with the Select Teams at the 2010 Winter Showcase in Phoenix. (Detailed Roster)
Former Academy Players Shine During U-20 MNT Camp: Of the 26 players in camp with the U.S. Under-20 Menâ€™s National Team last week, 11 are former Academy players. Gale Agbossoumonde, Moises Hernandez, Zarek Valentin, Korey Veeder, Ethan White, Moises Orozco, Conor Shanosky, Juan Agudelo and Conor Doyle are all former Academy players who are now professionals. Additionally, Sacir Hot, Sebastien Ibeagha, Kelyn Rowe and Dillon Powers have established themselves as standout college players after coming through the Academy ranks.
FC Dallas Names Fifth Homegrown Player: Forward Jonathan Top became the fifth player to move from the FC Dallas Academy to the first team when he signed a professional contract on Jan. 12. Top, who turns 18 on Jan. 26 is the leading scorer on the U-17/18 team this season with eight goals in 10 games so far.
ACADEMY IN THE NEWS:
- ESPN Soccernet calls the Development Academy one of the most exciting things important story lines coming up in 2011 â€“ Soccernet.com
- U.S. Soccer Director of Scouting Tony Lepore spoke to Goal.com about the Training Center program â€“ Goal.com
- Dallas Texans, Lonestar, Weston SC and Texas Rush AJ Auxerre all had successful weekends at the Disney Soccer Showcase â€“ Soccer America
- U.S. MNT all-time caps leader Cobi Jones joins the Cosmos Academies as Associate Director of Soccer â€“ nycosmos.com
- Real Salt Lake-Arizonaâ€™s Greg Vanney has left the club to become an assistant coach at Chivas USA of Major League Soccer â€“ Chivas USA
- Former Derby County and current U.S. U-20 MNT midfielder Josh Gatt signs with Molde FK in Norway â€“ SportsFeatures.com
- Chicago Fire Juniors defender David Caban named NSCAA Youth All America â€“ Wisconsin Soccer Central
- Seattle Times checks in on the Sounders FC Academy teams â€“ Seattle Times