Across the Academy – Oct. 30, 2013
#OpportunityKnocks: Bethesda-Olney’s Chase Gasper: Bethesda-Olney left back Chase Gasper spoke with ussoccer.com for the Opportunity Knocks series during the U.S. U-18 Men’s National Team’s recent second-place showing at the 2013 Limoges Tournament in France. Gasper, who hails from Alexandria, Va., is utilizing this international experience to enhance his tactical development and apply everything he has learned toward his team’s Academy season.
ACADEMY SOCIAL CONNECTION:
- @ChivasUSAYouth: Congrats to Caleb Calvert on earning #USSDA Player of the Year, Starting XI and Conference Player of the Year pic.twitter.com/x9TfFNNLYL – Chivas USA
- @CrewSocrAcademy: gr8 wkend at showcase with U-13/14 Boys, played really good possession football, noticed by @ussoccer_ynt pic.twitter.com/hf9AkcPwlQ – Crew Soccer Academy
- @SKCAcademy: The U-13/14s are pumped for Zusi’s goal! Go #SKC pic.twitter.com/4WLBVgEIUU – Sporting Kansas City
Share your Academy news, comments, photos, links and more using the #OpportunityKnocks hashtag.
ACADEMY QUICK HITS (Weekend of Oct. 26-27):
- West Conference: Crossfire Premier is enjoying a first-place run in Northwest Division play at both age levels, with each team earning a 1-0 victory against the Portland Timbers this past Saturday. Christian Soto-Gonzales scored a 55th-minute goal for Crossfire’s U-17/18 team (7-0-2) and Hassani Dotson notched a 71st-minute tally for the Crossfire U-15/16s (6-1-2). On the defensive end, both Crossfire Premier teams have posted three straight shutouts.
- Central Conference: In the first of three Academy U-13/14 events, the Central teams squared off in Carmel, Ind., for a two-game weekend set. The competition was tight as only two clubs won both of its matches. Sockers FC posted a 4-1 win against the Texas Rush and a 5-0 victory against the Colorado Rush. Holden Rank was Sockers’ leading scorer with three goals over the weekend. Real Colorado shut out Vardar 1-0 and topped the Minnesota Thunder 3-1. Matthew Hundley tallied a goal in each match for Real Colorado.
- East Conference: Bethesda-Olney’s Sam Schmidt, who had not scored a goal entering the weekend, scored a whopping five goals to lead the U-17/18 team to a 9-0 victory against the Virginia Rush on Sunday. Schmidt’s performance was the first five-goal effort among the Academy’s U-15/16 and U-17/18 teams. Matthew Ledder added three goals and Bethesda-Olney moved to 5-1-0 and second place in the Atlantic Division.
Stat of the Week: The Colorado Rapids U-15/16 team, unbeaten at 3-0-5, has posted seven shutouts out of its eight games. Four games have been scoreless draws, including this past Sunday against the Houston Dynamo. Both marks lead the entire U-15/16 and U-17/18 Academy field.
Academy Referee of the Week: Robyn Crawford-Smith, a 35-year-old referee from eastern New York, earned Academy Referee of the Work for her working during a U-15/16 match between FC Westchester and Oakwood SC during the Oct. 19-20 weekend. Crawford-Smith has been working Academy U-15/16 and U-17/18 games since 2011, and she has worked W-League and PDL matches since 2012.
For all Development Academy results, visit ussda.demosphere.com or click on the following links:
U.S. U-15 BNT in Midst of Training Camp: U.S. U-15 Boys’ National Team head coach Hugo Perez called in 30 players to a training camp at U.S. Soccer’s National Training Center in Carson, Calif. Eleven players have ties to the Academy, and the U-15 BNT will face several Academy clubs. Chivas USA is splitting its U-15/16 team to field a U-15 and U-16 team for matches on Wednesday, Oct. 30. The U-15 BNT will then face the Crossfire U-15/16 and Real Salt Lake AZ U-15/16 teams on Saturday, Nov. 2.
- Video: Opportunity Knocks: Bethesda-Olney’s Chase Gasper
- Video: Opportunity Knocks: Chicago Magic PSG’s Maduabuchi Obinwa
- Video: Opportunity Knocks: De Anza Force’s David Chavez
- Video: Opportunity Knocks: Capital Area RailHawks’ Lucas Del Rosario
- Video: Opportunity Knocks: San Jose Earthquakes’ Edwin Lara
- Video: Opportunity Knocks: D.C. United’s Jose Carranza
- Video: Opportunity Knocks: Georgia United’s Juan Pablo Torres
- Video: Opportunity Knocks: New York Red Bulls’ Tyler Adams
- Video: U.S. Soccer Development Academy Launches U-13/14 Division
- Feature: Dallas Texans Academy Alum Conor Doyle of D.C. United
- Feature: Tony Lepore Q & A: Developing Youth Players
- Release: Academy Holding Three U-13/14 Fall Events
- The YNT Blog
ACADEMY ALUMNI UPDATE:
- Former New York Red Bulls Academy player Juan Agudelo catapulted the New England Revolution into the MLS Cup Playoffs for the first time in four seasons with a 28th-minute goal to lead the Revs to a 1-0 road win against the Columbus Crew on Sunday. His tally, which was up for MLS Goal of the Week, helped New England earn a No. 3 seed in the Eastern Conference, and the Revolution will host No. 2 seed Sporting Kansas City this Saturday in the conference semifinals.
- D.C. United Academy alum Bill Hamid is in the running for MLS Save of the Week for his double-save effort against the Houston Dynamo. The initial shot came from another former Academy player, St. Louis Scott Gallagher Missouri product Will Bruin.
UPCOMING ACADEMY SCHEDULE:
- 2013-14 Academy Schedule
- Development Academy Regular Season: The ninth weekend of the 2013-14 Academy season features 108 games across the three age groups.
- Development Academy Winter Showcase: Dec. 11-15 at Lakewood Ranch, Fla., for U-15/16 and U-17/18 Academy teams. The U-15/16 matches take place on Dec. 12, 13 and 15, and the U-17/18 games are Dec. 11, 12 and 14.
- Top Drawer Soccer: U-13/14 Academy Event in Indiana – Day 1 Recap
- Top Drawer Soccer: U-13/14 Academy Event in Indiana – Day 2 Recap
- ESPN FC: Productive Fagundez Winging it for Fagundez
- ESPN Boston: Hard Work Pays off for Fagundez
- American Soccer Now: Erik Palmer-Brown: A Gem Getting Polished in K.C.
- D.C. United: Bill Hamid Named Team Defender of the Year
- Top Drawer Soccer: Academy Recap
- studentsports.com: U-17/18 Recap: FC Dallas Wins Frontier Clash
- studentsports.com: U-15/16 Recap: LA Galaxy’s Scoring Frenzy
- studentsports.com: U-13/14 Recap