Across the Academy - May 3
Dallas Texans Face FC Dallas: A big northern Texas showdown is on tap this weekend as the Dallas Texans take on the FC Dallas Academy teams at the University of Texas-Dallas in Richardson, Texas. The Dallas Texans U-15/16 team is inching toward qualification for the Academy Playoffs atop the Texas Division with an impressive 14-1-4 record and 46 points. The FC Dallas U-15/16 team is currently in fourth place in the division, but only two points separate them from second-place Solar Chelsea SC. The FC Dallas U-17/18 team has already qualified for the postseason with a 17-2-1 Texas Division record.
- Garcia, FC Dallas Academy Tout High-Powered Offense: The FC Dallas U-17/18 playoff-bound team, led by Danny Garciaâ€™s 18 goals, leads all Development Academy clubs and age groups with a whopping 77 goals in 26 matches. ussoccer.com spoke with Garcia about the teamâ€™s season and his play outside of the Academy.
PDA, Red Bulls Open Division Play: The Players Development Academy and New York Red Bulls teams square off in their first Liberty Division matches of the season this Saturday at the PDA Facility in Zarephath, N.J. Both age groups are off to a strong start overall, especially at the U-15/16 level, where PDA touts a 14-1-1 record and the Red Bulls a 12-3-1 mark. The PDA U-17/18 team is 10-3-3 on the season and the older Red Bulls are 9-3-4.
LAST WEEKâ€™S HIGHLIGHTS:
- The local Denver derby between the Colorado Rapids and Colorado Rush resulted in a sweep of the Colorado Rush last Friday. The division-leading Rapids U-17/18 team was led by Dillon Sernaâ€™s four goals and defeated the Rush 6-2. It marked the Rushâ€™s first Frontier Division loss. The Rapids U-15/16 team topped the Rush 4-0, with three of the goals coming from Alex Toderica.
- The Chicago Fire U-15/16 and U-17/18 teams stayed unbeaten in Great Lakes Division play as the U-15/16 team defeated Indiana United Fire Academy 3-0, while the U-17/18 side played to a scoreless draw against Indiana United Fire Academy at Toyota Park. The Chicago Fire U-17/18 teamâ€™s draw was actually the first non-victory in division play. Jeffrey Farina scored a second-minute goal for the Chicago Fire U-15/16 team and its lead was never in jeopardy the rest of the way.
- Strong offensive efforts led Albertson SC to a 3-0-1 weekend that included two victories from the U-15/16 team, both 2-1 wins against Oakwood Soccer Club and South Central Premier. The Albertson SC U-17/18 team routed South Central Premier 4-0 and had a scoreless draw against Oakwood. Jonathan Interiano had both Albertson goals in the U-15/16 game against Oakwood SC, while Albertson SC U-17/18 midfielder Jake Freeman notched two goals during his teamâ€™s victory against South Central Premier.
- Sundayâ€™s matchup featuring the New England Revolution and Baltimore Bays Chelsea ended with a split between the two teams. The Revolution U-15/16 team earned a 1-0 victory and the Baltimore Bays Chelsea U-17/18 team coasted to a 6-1 win. Matthew Cooperâ€™s 55th-minute tally was the difference to lift New England in the U-15/16 match, while Malcolm Harris and Christian Stewart Morales had two goals apiece for Baltimore Bays Chelsea in the U-17/18 game.
- The Charlotte Soccer Academy U-17/18 team handed CASL Chelsea FC Academy its first division loss on Saturday to stay unbeaten in the Atlantic Division with a 7-0-2 record. CAS Chelsea FC Academy dropped to 4-1-1 in the Atlantic Division. Tucker Axhoj had two of Charlotte Soccer Academyâ€™s goals.
- Jean-Pierre Belloâ€™s hat trick and two goals by Maikon Orrellana helped lead the Real Salt Lake AZ U-17/18 team to a sweep over the LA Galaxy in back-to-back matches last weekend, netting a 3-1 victory on Saturday and a 4-1 win on Sunday at Grande Sports World. The U-17/18 team improves to 8-2-4 (28 points) in the SoCal Division, a point ahead of Chivas USA and three points against of the LA Galaxy. In the U-15/16 division, the LA Galaxy (8-1-3, 27 points) had a 3-0 win and a 2-2 draw against SoCal leader Real Salt Lake AZ (9-4-1, 28 points), which now leads the division by only one point.
- Jason Romero scored four goals as the De Anza Force U-15/16 team defeated the San Jose Earthquakes 4-2 on Saturday in a Northwest Division matchup. De Anza Force sits in third place in the division at 7-4-2 (23 points) and created a seven-point gap ahead of fourth-place San Jose.
Week 31 Player of the Week: Dillon Serna, Forward, Colorado Rapids
Dillon Serna scored four goals and played the full 90 minutes during the Colorado Rapids U-17/18 teamâ€™s 6-2 victory against the Colorado Rush last Friday. Serna has appeared in 11 of the teamâ€™s 14 games this season and leads the squad with eight goals. The Rapids U-17/18 team is atop the Frontier Division with a 4-1-2 record, 8-1-5 overall. Serna has recently played for the U.S. U-18 Menâ€™s National Team and committed earlier this year to play at the University of Akron.
Referee of the Week: Alex Chilowicz
Alex Chilowicz earns Referee of the Week honors for his performance during this past weekendâ€™s U-17/18 match between NJSA and Match Fit Chelsea. The 24-year-old Grade 5 referee from New Jersey has worked 26 Academy matches over the past three years. Chilowicz has received regularly strong evaluations over his past Academy assignments. He also has worked PDL, W-League and Youth National Team matches.
ACADEMY AND ALUMNI NEWS AND NOTES:
Bruin Nets Two, MacMathâ€™s Shutout Streak Ends at 407: Academy alum (St. Louis Scott Gallagher Missouri) scored two goals for the Houston Dynamo in MLS play last weekend, while former Clearwater Chargers and U.S. U-17 Residency Program goalkeeper Zac MacMath saw his Philadelphia Unionâ€™s shutout streak come to a close at a franchise-best 407 minutes. ( The YNT Blog )
ACADEMY IN THE NEWS:
- Academy players Travis Wannemuehler (Indiana United), Eli Dent (South Carolina United Battery) and Danny Jensen (Weston FC) and Jason Pesek (St. Louis Scott Gallagher Missouri) discuss their college commitments â€“ Top Drawer Soccer
- Chicago Fire Academy Teams Shut Out Indiana Fire â€“ Chicago-Fire.com
- FC Dallas Academy Claims Texas Division Crown â€“ FCDallas.com
- Development Academy Recap â€“ ESPN RISE
- Real Salt Lake AZ Reclaims Top Spot in SoCal â€“ Top Drawer Soccer