Across the Academy - April 5
Portland Timbers, Montreal Impact Join Academy for 2012-13: The Portland Timbers and Montreal Impact have been selected to join the U.S. Soccer Development Academy for the 2012-13 season. Their inclusion increases the number of MLS Academy clubs to 17 and expands the Academy field to 80 teams for the first 10-month season. The Timbers will join the Northwest Division of the West Conference and the Impact will join a realigned Northeast Division in the East Conference.
Academy on Bye Week: The Development Academy is on hiatus from regular-season play this weekend, but play resumes next weekend, April 14-15, with more than 100 Academy matches scheduled.
LAST WEEKâ€™S HIGHLIGHTS:
- The Crew Soccer Academy Wolves U-15/16 team kept their unbeaten record intact and handed Indiana United Fire Academy its first divisional loss of the 2011-12 season with a 4-1 victory Saturday. Wolves players Ali Cheaib, Zack Atwood, Yamann Sahlool and Sam Brown each tallied a goal as the team improved to 2-0-1 in the division and 8-0-2 overall. Keaton Levockâ€™s 17th-minute goal paced the CSA Wolves U-17/18 team (2-0-0 Great Lakes, 6-2-1 overall) as it shut out Indiana United Fire Academy 1-0 on Saturday.
- Among the local derby fixtures, Shattuck-Saint Maryâ€™s Soccer Academy swept the Minnesota Thunder Academy as the U-15/16 team posted a 2-0 victory and the U-17/18 group earned a 1-0 victory on Ricardo Lopez-Espinâ€™s 90th-minute game-winner. St. Louis Scott Gallagher Metro had a win and a draw against rival St. Louis Scott Gallagher Missouri. Tyler Swanner had the lone goal for the SLSG Metro U-15/16 team en route to a 1-0 victory, while Louis Berraâ€™s second-half goal helped SLSG Metro U-17/18 overcome a first-half deficit for a 1-1 draw.
- The Sockers FC U-17/18 team improved to 3-0-0 in the Great Lakes Division with a 3-2 victory against Crew Soccer Academy and a 2-1 win against Internationals, increasing their overall record to 7-0-3 while outscoring their opponents 20-7.
- Albertson SC midfielders Jake Freeman and Richard Robinson scored two goals apiece as the U-17/18 team posted a strong 5-1 win against FC Greater Boston on Saturday. Albertonâ€™s defense limited FC Greater Boston â€“ a team that was averaging a shade more than two goals per game â€“ to only a 61st-minute Matthew Dias Costa tally. The Albertson U-15/16 team produced a 2-1 victory against FC Greater Boston, with Jeff Banastey and Mark Romanowski netting goals for Albertson.
- Jacori Hayes and Ishmaiah Calwrie of Baltimore Bays Chelsea scored in the seventh and 87th minutes, respectively, during the U-17/18 teamâ€™s 2-0 victory against D.C. United on Saturday in both teamsâ€™ Mid-Atlantic Division opener. Baltimoreâ€™s defense put together another stout effort with the clean sheet as the team has allowed only 10 goals in 11 matches this season. The U-15/16 teams played to a scoreless draw.
- Players Development Academyâ€™s Max Kroschwitz scored four goals over the weekend, including three tallies during a 5-2 win against Seacoast United at the U-15/16 level. PDAâ€™s two Academy teams combined for a 4-0-0 weekend, with the U-15/16 group also playing to a 2-0 victory against Empire United. The PDA U-17/18 team had two shutout victories â€“ a 3-0 win against Seacoast United and a 2-0 victory over Empire United, improving a 9-2-2 on the season.
- Chivas USA swept Real Salt Lake AZ last weekend, highlighted by the U-15/16 teamâ€™s 3-1 victory against the SoCal Division-leading RSL squad. Chivas built a 3-0 lead through the first 45 minutes with Andrew Benitez, Romario Lomeli and Sebastian Velasco finding the back of the net. Chivas USAâ€™s U-17/18 team maintained its division lead with a 1-0 victory as Jose Dheming tallied the gameâ€™s lone goal.
- The San Diego Surf earned two victories against Strikers FC on Saturday, with Michael Griswold scoring two goals during the U-15/16 teamâ€™s 3-1 victory and Michael Turner tallying a pair of goals to lead the U-17/18 team to a 5-1 win.
Week 28 Player of the Week: Jake McGuire, Goalkeeper, Chivas USA
Jake McGuire started and played 90 minutes for Chivas USAâ€™s U-17/18 team last Saturday en route to a 1-0 shutout victory against Real Salt Lake AZ. McGuire has now earned six shutouts this season, allowing only 17 goals for an impressive 1.00 goals allowed average. McGuire has been called into the U.S. U-20 Menâ€™s National Teamâ€™s upcoming camp, which starts Monday, April 9, in Portland.
Referee of the Week: Sin Hang Lai
Sin Hang Lai earns Referee of the Week honors for his performance during this past weekendâ€™s U-17/18 match between the Oakwood Soccer Club and the New York Cosmos Academy. The 34-year-old grade 5 referee from Connecticut has worked 25 Academy matches since 2008. He also worked the 2011 playoffs/showcase and has officiated Premier Development League and W-League matches.
ACADEMY ALUMNI NEWS AND NOTES:
Academy Alum Hoffman Makes MLS Debut for Union: Former Birmingham United player and Philadelphia Union rookie Chandler Hoffman made his Major League Soccer debut on Saturday, logging 50 minutes during the Unionâ€™s scoreless draw against Vancouver. Among some of the other ex-Academy standout performances, Internationals SC alum Darlington Nagbe scored two goals for the Portland Timbers and former Crossfire Premier player Kelyn Rowe scored his first MLS goal during the New England Revolutionâ€™s 3-1 win against the defending MLS champion LA Galaxy.
ACADEMY IN THE NEWS:
- U.S. U-17 MNT Defeats UAE 4-0 in Opening Mondial Minimes Match â€“ ussoccer.com
- U.S. U-17 MNT Travels with 18 Players to France â€“ ussoccer.com
- Ramos Selects 24 for U-20 MNT Training Camp in Portland â€“ ussoccer.com
- Timbers to Join U.S. Soccer Development Academy â€“ PortlandTimbers.com
- Impact to Join Development Academy for 2012-13 Season â€“ ImpactMontreal.com
- LA Galaxy U-17/18 Academy Team Heads to Spain for Real Sociedad â€“ LAGalaxy.com
- New England Revolution Takes Sixth in South Africa â€“ RevolutionSoccer.net
- Impact Rookie Wenger Juggles Soccer, School â€“ Associated Press
- Rowe Making Early Impression for Revs â€“ ESPNBoston.com
- Rowe Scores First Goal for Revolution â€“ Federal Way Mirror
- Rookie Hoffmanâ€™s Union Debut â€˜Something Specialâ€™ â€“ PhiladelphiaUnion.com
- Timbersâ€™ Nagbe Will Go â€˜Wherever Coach Puts Meâ€™ â€“ PortlandTimbers.com
- Arsenal FC Advances to Dallas Cup Quarterfinals â€“ ESPN RISE
- Local Derbies Highlight Academy Week â€“ TopDrawerSoccer.com