Across the Academy – Jan. 8, 2014
U.S. U-18 and U-20 MNT Training in Florida: The U.S. Under-18 and U-20 Men’s National Teams are in the midst of a training camp to kick off the new year in Bradenton, Fla. U-18 MNT head coach Javier Perez named a 24-player roster and U-20 coach Tab Ramos brought in 36 players for his squad. Of the 28 players with Academy ties with the U-20s, six have come through the New York Red Bulls Academy system to represent the highest contingent. For the U-18s, 24 players currently play for the Academy as the age group prepares for a tournament in Spain in early February.
Williams Names U-17 Spring Residency Roster: The U.S. Under-17 Men’s National Team begins its Spring Semester with seven new players added to the fold and 28 total. All seven newcomers have featured in the Development Academy: Jose Carranza (D.C. United), McKenzie Gaines (Lonestar SC), Eric Lopez (LA Galaxy), Eric Matzelevich (Bethesda-Olney), AJ Palazzolo (St. Louis Scott Gallagher Missouri), Raheem Taylor-Parkes (Philadelphia Union) and Jaret Townsend (Real Colorado). The U-17s capped off 2013 with a memorable 4-1 win against Brazil to win the 2013 Nike International Friendlies – the team’s second title in three years.
ACADEMY SOCIAL CONNECTION:
- @LAGalaxyAcademy: From Landon Donovan (@landondonovan): The future looks bright for us! RT @LAGalaxyAcademy is represented at every USNT level in January! – LA Galaxy
- @SLSGusdaMO: A special congratulations to AJ Palazzolo on being invited to Residency w/U-17 MNT. Will be joining Logan Panchot in Bradenton. – St. Louis Scott Gallagher Missouri
- @SoundersAcademy: From DeAndre Ydelin (@yedlinny): Honored to be called up by the @ussoccer National Team for January Camp. Can’t wait to get started!#seattlelove #USAlove – Seattle Sounders FC
Share your Academy news, comments, photos, links and more using the #OpportunityKnocks hashtag.
For all Development Academy results, visit ussda.demosphere.com or click on the following links:
Former Academy Players Robinson, Allen Ink MLS Homegrown Deals: With eyes shifting toward the 2014 Major League Soccer season, teams are looking to their Development Academy products to help in the new campaign. Among the recent signings, D.C. United committed to defender Jalen Robinson with a homegrown contract, the team announced Monday. The 19-year-old native of Catonsville, Md., became the seventh D.C. United player to sign a homegrown deal. On Dec. 31, Real Salt Lake announced its signing of 18-year-old Jordan Allen. The native of Rochester, N.Y., played for Real Salt Lake AZ’s residency program in 2011 and 2012 in Casa Grande, Ariz. Allen was the U-15/16 Academy Western Conference Player of the Year following the 2011-12 season. He is the sixth player signed out of Real Salt Lake AZ.
Klinsmann’s MNT Roster Features Four Academy Ties: The U.S. Men’s National Team’s January camp has historically delved into an expanded pool of players, and this current 2014 camp in Carson, Calif., includes a large contingent of Academy alumni and recent YNT ties. Former U.S. U-20 MNT players Luis Gil, Shane O’Neill and DeAndre Yedlin are among this group, having showcased at the 2013 FIFA U-20 World Cup in Turkey. Pateadores alum Gil and Colorado Rapids homegrown product O’Neill each scored a goal in that tournament and Seattle Sounders homegrown Yedlin took third in the 2013 MLS Rookie of the Year voting. Former D.C. United Academy goalkeeper Bill Hamid also is in the camp, hoping to earn his first MNT cap since 2012.
- Video: 2013 Development Academy Winter Showcase Review
- Video: Academy Players Relish Select Game Limelight
- Video: Opportunity Knocks: IMG Academy’s Shaquell Moore
- Video: Opportunity Knocks: San Jose Earthquakes’ JT Marcinkowski
- Video: Opportunity Knocks: Sporting Kansas City’s Erik Palmer-Brown
- Video: Opportunity Knocks: Bethesda-Olney’s Chase Gasper
- Video: Opportunity Knocks: Chicago Magic PSG’s Maduabuchi Obinwa
- Video: Opportunity Knocks: De Anza Force’s David Chavez
- Video: Opportunity Knocks: Capital Area RailHawks’ Lucas Del Rosario
- Video: Opportunity Knocks: San Jose Earthquakes’ Edwin Lara
- Video: Opportunity Knocks: D.C. United’s Jose Carranza
- Video: Opportunity Knocks: Georgia United’s Juan Pablo Torres
- Video: Opportunity Knocks: New York Red Bulls’ Tyler Adams
- Video: U.S. Soccer Development Academy Launches U-13/14 Division
- Feature: U.S. U-18 MNT’s Palmer-Brown Works His Way up Ranks at Sporting
- Feature: Dallas Texans Academy Alum Conor Doyle of D.C. United
- Feature: Tony Lepore Q & A: Developing Youth Players
UPCOMING ACADEMY SCHEDULE:
- 2013-14 Academy Schedule
- Development Academy Regular Season: The 2013-14 Academy season resumes over the Jan. 11-12 weekend, featuring 12 scheduled games at the U-15/16 and U-17/18 age groups.
- Colorado Rapids: O’Neill Ready to Seize Chance with U.S. MNT in World Cup Year
- D.C. United: D.C. Signs Homegrown Defender Jalen Robinson
- D.C. United: Exclusive Q&A with Jalen Robinson (video)
- Real Salt Lake: RSL Signs Jordan Allen to Homegrown Contract
- mlssoccer.com: Real Salt Lake’s Luis Gil Eager to Seize Opportunity at U.S. MNT Camp
- mlssoccer.com: 10 MLS Academy Prospects Highlights U-17 Residency Roster
- Soccer America: Interview with Tab Ramos, Part I: ‘In a Great Place with Room to Grow’
- Soccer America: Interview with Tab Ramos, Part II: Connecting the National Teams
- Soccer America: Allen Takes Windy Road to Real Salt Lake