US SoccerUS Soccer

Venturini Leads CyberRays to Victory in Mother's Day Return from Injury

CHICAGO (Monday, May 14, 2001) -

Atlanta Beat 1, San Diego Spirit 1
The Beat were on their way to their second straight 1-0 victory behind a goal scored by Charmaine Hooper and the saves of Briana Scurry as the clock ticked into the 83rd minute. San Diego set up for what appeared to be a harmless throw-in, but no throw-in by the Spirit's Kim Pickup should be considered harmless. Using her flip throw method, Pickup sent the ball flying toward the Beat goal. Scurry tried to punch the ball out of the box, but ended up punching it into her own goal for the game-tying goal.

Boston Breakers 2, Washington Freedom 2
Down 2-0 as the game entered the 58th minute all appeared lost for the Breakers. As it turned out, that's just when the comeback began. Maren Meinert struck a blast past a diving Siri Mullinix from 22 yards out to put the Breakers on the board. The score stayed that way until stoppage time when Keri Raygor found the back of the net with just seconds left to knot the game for good. The Freedom had built their lead on goals by Tracey Milburn and Pretinha.

Bay Area CyberRays 2, Carolina Courage 1
You need great players making great plays to win in the WUSA, but don't discount the importance of luck. The CyberRays certainly don't after coming back to defeat the Courage, 2-1. The luck came from an own goal late in the first half. The great play came from WUSA Player of the Week Tisha Venturini, returning from a broken arm, who scored the game-winner off a pass from Sissi. Danielle Fotopoulos converted a penalty kick to give Carolina the early lead.

New York Power 2, Philadelphia Charge 2
Continuing the trend of second half action and late goals, the Power jumped out to a 2-0 lead over Philadelphia behind a scorching free kick from Tiffeny Milbrett and some sweet passing that lead to a Kerry Connors tally. The Charge answered right back on Rebekah McDowell's goal off a rebound from a Gao Hong save. That goal was followed by a number of unfinished chances by the Power, that could have put the game away. Instead the Charge counterattacked leading to a cornerkick that bounced around the box, off a few players, before Rakel Karvelsson knocked it in for the game-tying goal in the 80th minute.