Across the Academy - March 14
U.S. Under-17 Men’s National Team Drawn into Group C of CONCACAF Championship: The U.S. Under-17 Men’s National Team was drawn into Group C for the 2013 CONCACAF U-17 Championship, which will take place April 6-19 in Panama City, Panama. The U.S. will face Guatemala and Haiti in its attempt to qualify for the 2013 FIFA World Cup in the United Arab Emirates from Oct. 17-Nov. 8. Follow the team at The YNT Blog and on Twitter @ussoccer_ynt.
U-18 MNT Will Take 11-Day, Three-Match Trip to France and Romania March 15-25: The U.S. Under-18 Men’s National Team will convene for the first time since late November of 2012 to take part in a 11-day trip, from March 15-25 to France and Romania. The trip will include three matches; first the U.S. U-18s will face France in Clairefontaine, outside of Paris on March 19. Then they will head to Romania for a double fixture with the Romanians on March 22 and 24 in Bucharest.
U.S. Soccer, Nike Host Youth Futsal Invitational Events: With an emphasis on developing the U-13/14 age level, U.S. Soccer, in partnership with Nike, is hosting a youth futsal event from April 19-24 at The Home Depot Center in Carson, Calif. If you are interested in viewing photos from the event, please download Scout, U.S. Soccer’s digital magazine. It highlights youth players identified in our programs and we focused the first issue around last weekend’s futsal event in Philadelphia.
U.S. Men’s National Team Head Coach Jurgen Klinsmann Discusses Performance by U-20 Men’s National Team at the U-20 CONCACAF Championship: Jurgen Klinsmann and the coaching staff are busily preparing for the upcoming qualifiers against Costa Rica and Mexico, and ussoccer.com sat down with the U.S. head coach to get his thoughts on the importance of the Under-20 Men’s National Team qualifying for the 2013 FIFA U-20 World Cup.
LAST WEEK’S HIGHLIGHTS:
- Real Salt Lake AZ U-15/16 and Real So Cal U-15/16 both sit atop the standings of the Southwest Division with just one point separating the sides. That separation remained after they battled to a 2-2 draw this weekend. Salt Lake held a 2-1 lead for most of the second half but Andy Bru found the equalizer for So Cal in the 80th minute.
- FC Dallas U-17/18 earned a 2-1 win in its crosstown derby with Dallas Texans U-17/18. FC Dallas fell behind early, conceding a goal in the 14th minute but found the equalizer in the waning moments of the first half. Daniel Nevarez’ found the game winner for FC Dallas in the 85th minute.
- Weston FC U-17/18 stayed atop the Southeast Division with a 6-3 win against South Carolina United Battery U-17/18. A hat-trick by Weston FC’s Nicholas Pappacena proved to be the difference as he tallied three times before the 60th minute to help his side to the three-goal win.
Player of the Week: Trevor Haberkorn, Solar Chelsea U-17/18
Trevor Haberkorn receives Week 24 Player of the Week honors for his performance in Solar Chelsea U-17/18’s 2-1 win against TSC Houston U-17/18. Haberkorn tallied both goals for his team off free kicks, including a late winner to seal the win.
Referee of the Week: Leszek Stalmach
Leszek Stalmach has been named Referee of the Week for Week 24. Stalmach is a 43-year-old, grade three professional official from Texas North. He works as a fourth official in Major League Soccer and has worked 32 Development Academy matches in the past two years. Stalmach attended the 2011 Winter Showcase and has worked NASL and YNT matches as well.
ACADEMY IN THE NEWS:
- Jose Villarreal’s Touch of Class Eases LA Galaxy Fears for Second Goal in Win Over Herediano – mlssoccer.com
- LA Galaxys Villarreal Aims for Starting Role After ‘Amazing’ U-20 Stint – lagalaxy.com
- Teenagers Lead LA Galaxy into CONCACAF Champions League Semifinals – Soccer America
- Crew Soccer Academy’s Thompson on Elite Formation Coaching License – thecrew.com
- U-20 MNT Players Pleased with Improvement, Progression – Top Drawer Soccer
- Academy Recap: FC Dallas Sweeps Dallas Derby – Top Drawer Soccer
2012-13 DEVELOPMENT ACADEMY SEASON:
- 2012 Academy Winter Showcase: 10-Month Season, Part I | 10-Month Season, Part II: New Teams | Orlando City Feature | Showcase Wrap-Up
- 2012-13 Academy Outlook: Overview | 10-Month Season | Improvement in Everyday Environment
- U-13/14 Starts in Fall of 2013: Release | Tony Lepore Q & A | U-13/14 Program
- 2012-13 Academy Schedules | 2012-13 Academy Standings