Across the Academy - May 2
U-15 BNT Opens Italy Tournament with Two Draws: The U.S. U-15 Boys’ National Team, coached by Tony Lepore, opened the Tournament Delle Nazioni in Italy with a scoreless draw against host Italy on Tuesday, followed by a 1-1 draw against Chile on Thursday. The team wraps up the first phase of the tournament against Slovenia on Friday. The tournament semifinals take place Saturday, May 4, and the final on Sunday, May 5.
Development Academy Trends: Training to Game Success: Players Development Academy, one of only two clubs to have already qualified at both the U-15/16 and U-17/18 age groups for the 2012-13 Academy Playoffs, provides a glimpse of the club’s strong weekly training program to ussoccer.com. PDA U-17/18 head coach Sam Nellins breaks down the club’s weekly preparation and player development.
- U.S. Soccer Development Academy on Facebook and Twitter
- 2012-13 Academy Schedules | 2012-13 Academy Standings
Marriott’s Academy ‘One-Stop-Shop’: As the official hotel sponsor of U.S. Soccer, Marriott is providing Development Academy teams with the opportunity to earn discounts on personal travel. You can benefit from this relationship by taking advantage of Marriott’s TeamTravel “one-stop-shop” website for groups less than 25 rooms per night at:
LAST WEEK’S HIGHLIGHTS:
- Crossfire Premier earned two victories against the Portland Timbers last Saturday in Redmond, Wash. Crossfire’s U-15/16 team (12-5-5) garnered its third straight shutout victory, posting a 3-0 win with goals from Joey Parish, Wesley Stark and Satoshi Chaffin. Crossfire Premier’s U-17/18s held off the Portland Timbers for a 2-1 victory. James Molyneux-Elliot scored the game-winner in the 45th minute as Crossfire Premier’s U-17/18 squad has now won four of its past five games to improve to 8-11-3.
- Solar Chelsea SC swept FC Dallas at both age groups last Saturday, including a 3-1 victory at the U-15/16s in a matchup of two teams that qualified for the 2012-13 Academy Playoffs. Alan Winn, Toryima Asom and Brock Dudley each scored a goal for Solar Chelsea, which leads the Frontier Division 17-4-1. On the other half of the sweep, Samuel Hayward scored both goals for Solar Chelsea SC’s U-17/18 team (14-6-2) en route to a 2-1 victory against Frontier Division-leading FC Dallas (15-4-3).
- North Meck SC’s U-17/18 team scored a season-high five goals and defeated the Southeast Division’s second-place team CASL Chelsea FC Academy 5-1. Ian Orr’s 51st-minute goal proved to be the game-winner. Patrick Andreas, Chukwuka Anyafo, Sammy Holton and James Mingoes also contributed a goal apiece as North Meck earned its seventh win of the season.
Player of the Week: Steve Martinez, F, LA Galaxy
Steve Martinez scored two goals to rally the LA Galaxy U-15/16 team to a 2-1 victory against the San Diego Surf this past Sunday. Trailing 1-0 with three minutes remaining, Martinez scored a 78th-minute equalizer and 80th-minute game-winner. Martinez leads the team with 15 goals this season.
Referee of the Week: Matthew Buckman
Matthew Buckman earns Referee of the Week honors for his performance during last Saturday’s U-17/18 match between the San Juan Soccer Club and Cal Odyssey. The 32-year-old Grade 4 official from northern California has worked in 43 Academy matches over the past two seasons. Buckman also was a Referee of the Week during the 2009-10 Development Academy season. He will be working the 2013 Academy Playoffs. Buckman also has worked PDL, MLS preseason, MLS Reserve and Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup matches.
OTHER NEWS AND NOTES:
Rugg Tallies Goal in MLS Debut: Former FC Greater Boston Academy player Charlie Rugg, the No. 19 selection in the 2013 MLS SuperDraft, scored his first MLS goal as the LA Galaxy blanked Real Salt Lake last Saturday. … Solar Chelsea product Alfred Koroma scored two goals, including the 68th-minute game-winner, as the U.S. Under-20 Men’s National Team topped Cal FC 6-2 during a scrimmage match at U.S. Soccer’s National Training Center. The U-20s are gearing up for the 2013 FIFA U-20 World Cup in Turkey starting on June 21. For more YNT and Development Academy news, visit ussoccer.com’s The YNT Blog.
ACADEMY IN THE NEWS:
- Development Academy to Add Futsal to Curriculum this Winter – goal.com
- New England Revolution’s Rowe Sparking Attack – mlssoccer.com
- Seattle Sounders’ Yedlin Grabs Second Chance with U.S. U-20 MNT – mlssoccer.com
- Seattle Sounders Academy Star Morris Enjoys Steady Rise – soundersfc.com
- Koroma Comes up Big off Bench for U-20 MNT – Soccer America
- Academy Recap: Solar Chelsea Sweeps FC Dallas – Top Drawer Soccer
- Academy Preview: Northeast Clubs Battle for Top Spot – Top Drawer Soccer
2012-13 DEVELOPMENT ACADEMY SEASON:
- 2012 Academy Winter Showcase: 10-Month Season, Part I | 10-Month Season, Part II: New Teams | Orlando City Feature | Showcase Wrap-Up
- 2012-13 Academy Outlook: Overview | 10-Month Season | Improvement in Everyday Environment
- U-13/14 Starts in Fall of 2013: Release | Tony Lepore Q & A | U-13/14 Program